PDA

View Full Version : Allen & Ginter's Cabinet

Deertick
05-29-2014, 07:56 AM
I came across something that piqued my curiosity. I saw this faded, unfocused image on an otherwise sharp card and thought "reprint". I figured the original was cropped. But as I looked at a closer comparison, it appears the photo was taken at a slightly different angle (to the viewers left) It cuts out the trees in the left, but shows a different gap in the trees on the right as well as a little more of the trees behind.

Was this common to use several photos of varying quality on something like this? If so, how many and were they specific to the border colors? I don't understand what reason they would use an inferior image.

I may be checking it out in person later tonight as there are some intriguing items that may be worth the drive.

Thanks for any input!

drcy
05-29-2014, 08:25 AM
Have no knowledge of the Statue of Liberty issue, but albumen images aged and discolored differently which could easily explain the different tones, clarity, etc. Old Judge and other cabinet issue images differing that way is common. I also think difference is in part due to how the digital photos of the cabinets were taken. The image on the left actually doesn't look bad. If the mount looks good, with real gold edges and gold text, I doubt it's a reprint.

Deertick
05-29-2014, 08:57 AM
Thanks, David. Any idea how do two different pictures get used for the 'same' card? Ran out of the first pressing and used a different for the second?

LOL, Talk about not seeing the forest for the trees.....the people moved from one pic to the other. :o:o

1880nonsports
05-29-2014, 10:00 AM
if in fact both images loupe as photographs - both cabinets look to be original as issued. I've owned 5/6 of them although I never noticed the variation.
Unlikely that someone would have a clean original mount and look to replace the image. There's no financial incentive as the price-point typically in the 75.-125. range and while the liberty image has some cross-collectibility - there are more sought after subjects - this particular image is more frequently encountered than most as possible more people at the time embracing the subject of liberty itself so more were saved from the trash heap or it was printed in greater quantities. Typically the company would purchase negatives in bulk to be used first on the cabinets and later on the insert cards themselves. Often times the production would include angular and close-up views. Possible they were only able to make so many prints or there was a subsequent printing. If I get a second I'll look in the WTI as I think they are covered in the third volume - probable the variation is listed..........

no guarantees whether written or implied.

1880nonsports
05-29-2014, 10:17 AM
volume 3 only mentions the one with green mount. The one on the right looks very familiar as one I might have owned :-) In the other 3 related "series" mounts are known in maroon and cream (I've seen black as well). It wasn't unusual for the tobacco companies to utilize everything they had at their disposal - their advertising plan (along with Duke) was uber expensive and they didn't waste much. I'll look to see if there are any updates in later volumes. I hear from across the pond that Martin Murray will be updating. Sure this is MUCH more than you care to know. At least I'm having fun for a minute or two....

nuttin in 4 or 5 - surprised but it's not that unusal.

Deertick
05-29-2014, 10:49 AM
volume 3 only mentions the one with green mount. The one on the right looks very familiar as one I might have owned :-) In the other 3 related "series" mounts are known in maroon and cream (I've seen black as well). It wasn't unusual for the tobacco companies to utilize everything they had at their disposal - their advertising plan (along with Duke) was uber expensive and they didn't waste much. I'll look to see if there are any updates in later volumes. I hear from across the pond that Martin Murray will be updating. Sure this is MUCH more than you care to know. At least I'm having fun for a minute or two....

nuttin in 4 or 5 - surprised but it's not that unusal.

No! This is exactly what I was wanting to know! There seems to be nearly identical cropped 1st image above (or a 3rd image) used on an 1892 N53 from the Burdick collection.

So is the theory that the negatives would somehow degrade and they would use a different one, or are the variations intentional?

Deertick
05-30-2014, 08:59 AM
Unfortunately has 3 pinholes, but still nice. Really interesting is the inscription only visible with manipulation. Also, I need to find out why my scanner is showing it as more blue than green. :confused:

Deertick
06-08-2014, 02:38 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221460518645?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Runscott
06-08-2014, 04:17 PM
Maybe it was because having multiple negatives allowed them to create multiple prints simultaneously, saving time. Perhaps they only used the secondary negatives when pressed for time, making those more rare?

It might also have been done for variety (like with the N172's). Today we look for consistency in everything, but the producers of late 1880's mounted albumen advertising pieces weren't even very consistent with their inscriptions or mounts, much less photographic images.

Deertick
07-09-2014, 09:36 PM
Just an update: Sold for $195. The next day I got an email offering the $225 that I originally was asking. You snooze, we both lose! :(