PDA

View Full Version : What's with Silks s74s?

GregMitch34
05-26-2014, 11:39 PM
Getting more interested in these but have always been at a loss, with "white" (which are somewhat colored) vs. colored, some with backs and some without, and so on. Are the growing less and less popular? Doesn't seem like much action and I'd be afraid of picking up a few or maybe, as with so many other cases, you're safe if you stick to top HOFers. Then there's the matter of "white" vs. "colored" in pricing, although the latter is all I'd care about, aesthetically. Any advice?

Leon
05-27-2014, 06:56 AM
Both colored and white (with backs only please) are fun to collect but since they aren't "cards" they get a bit less respect (demand). Here is a nice run and the Helmars are almost impossible. My understanding is there are 2 Cobbs and 1 common with a Helmar back. So that one is tough if going for a back run. Some of the colored ones are great looking such as the Cobb colored one on the far right in this group...

GrayGhost
05-27-2014, 06:59 AM
Nice group Leon. One thing also is the ones complete with intact backs always seem to command a premium, as most I've encountered don't have them.

Fun set and I wish the OP good luck on his collecting.

GregMitch34
05-27-2014, 07:24 AM
Yes, the backs confuse. What's with the "Turkey Red" ID on fronts but no backs? Did they ever have backs? The ones Leon posts with Turkey Red backs don't have that line on front, and the ones with the line don't have to ad on back...

Leon
05-27-2014, 07:31 AM
Yes, the backs confuse. What's with the "Turkey Red" ID on fronts but no backs? Did they ever have backs? The ones Leon posts with Turkey Red backs don't have that line on front, and the ones with the line don't have to ad on back...

The colored ones had their districts and mfg markings on the front as they didn't come with the paper backs. When you find a white one without mfg printing on front or a paper back, you have part of a card. It was a paper backed card that has lost it's paper (most often this is the case).

The ones with mfg and district printing on front never had backs.

GregMitch34
05-27-2014, 08:32 AM
thanks, very helpful

ValKehl
05-27-2014, 09:26 PM
Greg, these silks are often found with stitch marks from having been sewn into pillow cases or whatevers - such is the case with these WaJos:

Chris Counts
05-28-2014, 10:33 AM
Here's an assemblage of silks I picked up a year or so ago. Regardless of demand, I really like them ...