PDA

View Full Version : Help Dating an Elmer Foster Jersey

oldjudge
05-24-2014, 01:50 PM
This cabinet came from a lot in the latest REA auction. Flour City was a nickname for Minneapolis so I assume this was some sort of Minneapolis jersey. A clue can be gained from the photographer. Although part of the name is obscured, I assume the photographer is W H Jacoby, a rather famous early Minnesota photographer. He operated a studio until 1890 which should be the latest date for the cabinet if my assumption is correct. I've talked to some early Minnesota baseball historians who have never seen an image of this jersey. My hope is that someone on the board will have some idea of when it is from. Thanks for any help you can provide!

nolemmings
05-24-2014, 04:45 PM
Really nice cabinet Jay. I'm afraid I can't help much, but did some googling and found a site that says W.H. Jacoby let his son Charles take over the business in 1888. Also saw some cabinets or cdv's that showed Jacoby & Son as the photographer--if yours just says Jacoby perhaps the name change came after the father ceded the business. I also a few sources stating that the studio was done as of 1890, so that could narrow yours down to the last couple years. I'm sure you saw where Foster played for Minneapolis in 1887,'89, '90 and '95, so you've got a pretty narrow window either way--still, I know how you like to be precise :)

z28jd
05-24-2014, 07:28 PM
Rochester NY used the team name Flour City for quite some time, so I wouldn't narrow my search down to just Minneapolis.

oldjudge
05-24-2014, 07:53 PM
John--I saw that, but Elmer never played for Rochester

irishdenny
05-24-2014, 07:55 PM
Hey there Jay,

I'm curious... What does it say in the Bottom Right Hand Corner?
Looks to me like it might have some sort of "Indian" Named Town!?
There are many towns in the NY area that have Indian related names...

I thought I saw a "QU" in it contents...

oldjudge
05-24-2014, 07:59 PM
Interestingly, the Minneapolis team cabinet that came with this lot was the 1887 Minneapolis team from the Northwest League. The team was part owned by Elmer's brother, Robert, and Elmer recruited the players for the team (all detailed in the accompanying scrapbook). I wonder if they originally thought of using the Flour City jerseys, but later decided to use the Minneapolis jerseys shown in the team cabinet.

oldjudge
05-24-2014, 07:59 PM
Denny--it says Minneapolis

seattlerainiers
05-25-2014, 11:05 AM
Here you are, Jay. Foster in the lower right corner.

kkkkandp
05-25-2014, 11:28 AM
Here you are, Jay. Foster in the lower right corner.

WOW! Stunning cabinet!

oldjudge
05-25-2014, 12:40 PM
Dave--Is that you? What a fantastic cabinet-thanks so much for posting it. That solves my problem! If you ever need info from the scrapbook, including Elmer's own account of his baseball history, just let me know.

Best--Jay

seattlerainiers
05-25-2014, 02:09 PM
Glad I could help, Jay.

z28jd
05-25-2014, 02:19 PM
John--I saw that, but Elmer never played for Rochester

I noticed that, but he was also missed any stats for 1892-1894 and I'm sure they still at least had a local club at the time, possibly semi-pro or Independent.

I see you got the answer from that great cabinet posted. Very cool

ksabet
05-25-2014, 09:37 PM
"Help Dating an Elmer Foster Jersey"

I say you take it to dinner, but no movie. Those Elmer Foster Jersey's can get frisky in the theater.