PDA

View Full Version : New SGC Look?

Jason
05-21-2014, 03:23 PM
I just went to log in and saw the new setup.Im looking it over now. It looks like the flips will indeed be changed.

glchen
05-21-2014, 03:49 PM
It definitely looks sleeker. However, IMHO, it could still use some improvements:

(1) How do I look at my past submissions?
(2) There is an Auto Verify. How about a regular cert verify also?
(3) The Population report could still use a lot of fixing. First, you cannot search by year for the set that you want. Not sure why they removed this feature. Also the searches don't work very well. For example, I did a search on the set name e121-80, and it came up with no results found. Then I did e121, and it found a couple of sets, but no players were in these sets. If they allowed search by year, then at least you wouldn't have to guess at what could be the correct set name. Also when I did a search on Player Name for Babe Ruth, I got a long list of practically incomprehensible search results. I had to basically click on each link to try to find the ones that would be useful. Still, the look is better than before as it looks like the population search results are now sorted correctly, and you don't have to click on multiple pages to see the cards in the set. I think it's a good step in the right direction, overall.

Bosox Blair
05-21-2014, 03:56 PM
Don't mind the graded cards one, but not a fan of the Authentic (auto) one.

Site looks good. Pop reports are now much easier to use, but still could be better. For instance, you can't type in T207 as the set...you have to type in Recruit. Similarly you can't type in M116...you have to type Sporting Life.

Cheers,
Blair

Bosox Blair
05-21-2014, 03:58 PM
It definitely looks sleeker. However, IMHO, it could still use some improvements:

For example, I did a search on the set name e121-80, and it came up with no results found. Then I did e121, and it found a couple of sets, but no players were in these sets. If they allowed search by year, then at least you wouldn't have to guess at what could be the correct set name.

I think you'll have to type American Caramel to get the true results.

Cheers,
Blair

The Nasty Nati
05-21-2014, 04:03 PM
Ugh not liking that they changed the authentication labels. The new design is going to throw off the aesthetic and uniformity of my old SGC holders when the new ones are placed next to them (now that the green border is gone). I don't know why they changed the label so "dramatically." At least when PSA redesigned their holders they didn't change the label design.

The OCD part of me doesn't like this new move. I wonder if for the time being you can still get the old label when grading your cards through SGC over the next few months.

But, atleast they are attempting to improve their website.

calvindog
05-21-2014, 04:05 PM
Is there a place to check current submissions?

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
05-21-2014, 04:34 PM
I still don't understand why I can't enter a serial number and find out what's it linked to.

Jay Wolt
05-21-2014, 04:46 PM
Been on their site a few times today and was quite a shock to see all the changes.
Here's what the new flips look like

http://www.sgccard.com/images/slide3.jpg

Jay Wolt
05-21-2014, 04:49 PM
Is there a place to check current submissions?
Jeff, been looking all day and I couldn't find it for past or current submission status.

Peter_Spaeth
05-21-2014, 04:50 PM
Just from the pic those flips look very easy to counterfeit. Hopefully there is something on the back, or not visible, that would make that difficult.

bobbyw8469
05-21-2014, 05:04 PM
I am not a fan of those flips......

Jason
05-21-2014, 05:06 PM
Yeah im not a fan of the new flips. I just think they do not look as nice as the old ones. Maybe that will change once I get one in hand.

Tcards-Please
05-21-2014, 05:10 PM
I'm not a fan of the new design either nor the loss of cards from my registry. Not quite sure how it doesn't transfer from the old to new? I'm hoping it will be a quick fix with an email.

r/
Frank

atx840
05-21-2014, 05:11 PM
I can still see past submissions. First impression, not digging the new flip.

http://i.imgur.com/CwXpFQu.jpg

Bicem
05-21-2014, 05:13 PM
can't wait to re-holder my collection with those god-awful flips!

kmac32
05-21-2014, 05:14 PM
I have a card there currently for grading. Personally, I hope it has the old style flip on it. One of my things in having a graded collection is I want the cards to look like they go together. New flips kind of make my display appear less than desirable and now it would look like a mix of different graded cards. Might as well start mixing in some PSA cards and get the same appearance.

sebie43
05-21-2014, 05:18 PM
I don't like the flips, they feel very generic to me, and as stated above it will stick out like a sore thumb in my collection. Thats my biggest impression, registry I can adjust to.. but this will take some time for me.

kmac32
05-21-2014, 05:20 PM
Also found my user name and password do not work. I called and they said they still have some bugs to work out. Sometimes change is good but would recommend that you have the bugs worked out before you go live with a website

Jay Wolt
05-21-2014, 05:43 PM
I can still see past submissions. First impression, not digging the new flip.

http://i.imgur.com/CwXpFQu.jpg

Chris, where did you find the submission status?
I've been looking everywhere on their new site and didn't see it

sb1
05-21-2014, 05:43 PM
Changing the flips is a major mistake in my opinion, as others have stated they have no resemblance to the current ones and will make sets and collections non-cohesive. At least when PSA makes changes to the flips they somewhat resemble the older ones. And just when I thought I might go ALL SGC with my set????

Blackie
05-21-2014, 05:45 PM
not sure if I like those FLIPs at all.........Ive got a few sets im working on and about mid-way done. Wish there would have been a vote or something.

http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w452/Lucyndareads/tumblr_li1wyskEal1qbpu5t.gif (http://media.photobucket.com/user/Lucyndareads/media/tumblr_li1wyskEal1qbpu5t.gif.html)

Peter_Spaeth
05-21-2014, 05:49 PM
Chris, where did you find the submission status?
I've been looking everywhere on their new site and didn't see it

Browne is so technologically hip he probably just hacked and reprogrammed the site. :D

GregMitch34
05-21-2014, 05:50 PM
I think SGC is responsive to what's often posted here--and perhaps it's too late in this case--but near-universal disdain for the new flips might have some effect. So keep it up. I agree that some will say the hell with them now that the look won't even come close to matching the old...

Gobucsmagic74
05-21-2014, 05:53 PM
Love SGC, hate the news flips. This may cost them my business

Blackie
05-21-2014, 05:53 PM
I think SGC is responsive to what's often posted here--and perhaps it's too late in this case--but near-universal disdain for the new flips might have some effect. So keep it up. I agree that some will say the hell with them now that the look won't even come close to matching the old...

Greg I hope you are right. I liked the old flip quite a bit. Kinda had a museum quality to it in my opinion. May give ole Earl a call tomorrow and see if the new design is the final verdict.

Blackie
05-21-2014, 05:55 PM
Love SGC, hate the news flips. This may cost them my business

Dan I wonder if they changed the back of the holder to add some type of hologram or something different to stop fakes? The new website design is great but the holder not so much. I have a submission on its way back now.......hoping they used the older flip.:(

Gobucsmagic74
05-21-2014, 06:00 PM
Dan I wonder if they changed the back of the holder to add some type of hologram or something different to stop fakes? The new website design is great but the holder not so much. I have a submission on its way back now.......hoping they used the older flip.:(

Whether they have a hologram or not the design is just aesthetically unappealing and, like others have mentioned, it disrupts any uniformity with former SGC slabs. Sometimes change is good, but unfortunately not in this case.

sgbernard
05-21-2014, 06:02 PM
Same as others, I like SGC, but I'm not a fan of the new flips at all. The green border was sharp and elegant with the black background. And anyone working on a set will not like having mixed flips from now on...

Blackie
05-21-2014, 06:04 PM
Just sent an email to Earl and Sean (ejohnson@sgccard.com and sskeffington@sgccard.com to see if they could read our posts and concerns.

Leon
05-21-2014, 06:06 PM
There will be an archived submission status very, very soon(if not already there). It is the last thing to be populated to the new site. There are watermarks on the new flips that can't be seen from scans. They are much more difficult to counterfeit or reproduce and are much safer. This info from Sean Skeffington their VP of operations.

I haven't given much thought to the flips yet but off hand they don't look that bad. They won't be like all of my others but I am not sure I care. I know I am in the minority so far and everyone is entitled to my opinion :) .

I should add that although the new flips don't look bad, the old ones are much more attractive.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
05-21-2014, 06:07 PM
SGC had the best looking holders on the market. Those flips change that in my mind.

ValKehl
05-21-2014, 06:10 PM
IMHO, the old flips have a much classier look than the new flips. It always amazes me how a seemingly-unnecessary business decision can have a real negative effect on a company's business.
Val

Blackie
05-21-2014, 06:10 PM
Leon thanks for the information.........do you know if the watermarks are visible?

Leon
05-21-2014, 06:12 PM
Leon thanks for the information.........do you know if the watermarks are visible?

I was out when Sean left the voice mail but my understanding is yes they are visible in person but not from a scan. Don't hold my feet to the fire but I am pretty sure he said they are visible in person.

atx840
05-21-2014, 06:12 PM
I recall seeing this flip prior and thinking it was just a mockup. Hopefully they can change it back, need the green border.

Registry hack :D
http://69.95.102.243/sgcweb/SignIn.aspx

Blackie
05-21-2014, 06:24 PM
I was out when Sean left the voice mail but my understanding is yes they are visible in person but not from a scan. Don't hold my feet to the fire but I am pretty sure he said they are visible in person.

Roger that brother.........thanks Leon! I always enjoy talking with Sean and Earl. I still believe they have the best customer service out there!

GregMitch34
05-21-2014, 06:41 PM
Yes, if they put a green border back on it might be acceptable even with new typeface etc.

Blackie
05-21-2014, 06:44 PM
Yes, if they put a green border back on it might be acceptable even with new typeface etc.

I agree!!! Good point

MW1
05-21-2014, 06:46 PM
Not liking the new labels at all...have to agree with the other 99% of collectors here. They look like something that was designed and printed quickly, without much thought given to proper aesthetics or the value of brand-name recognition. SGC really should have gotten more customer feedback before going forward with this.

the 'stache
05-21-2014, 06:53 PM
Wait, what the hell?

Horrible, horrible business decision. I will never own a card with this new flip. It's a real eyesore. If I find a card I like, I will send it in to PSA as a crossover.

I have ten cards that I was about to submit to SGC for grading, and several crossovers to follow. If that's the flip they're using, forget it. I'll go to PSA for all my card grading. That's too bad, too, because I've always heard SGC has the best customer service.

Why the heck would they do this? One of the biggest selling points about SGC graded cards was the eye appeal of the slabbed card. The flip they've had popped. It looked really good. This new one looks like something I'd print out on my home computer.

sforaker
05-21-2014, 06:57 PM
I do not like new flip. Looks like generic home computer job.

Kenny Cole
05-21-2014, 06:59 PM
Agree, the new flips suck. Also don't like that checking current and past submissions doesn't currently appear to be possible. Maybe the pop reports and registry information is better. I don't know because I haven't checked, but the new flips and inability to check submission status are a massive step backward IMO.

The Nasty Nati
Keep the new watermark but bring back the green borders. That will make everything better. If they don't change the new look I'd wish they'd at least give us a few months to have cards graded with the old labels, as I'm so close to finishing subsets that are all in the now "old" SGC label. That or give loyal customers a discount on re-holdering fees.

Love the company, but this doesn't seem like a very smart move.

sforaker
Only beneficiary of this new flip ... PSA.

Rich Klein
At a show, those designs will not stick out. They need to be more colorful.

Say what you want about Beckett grading but the Gold and Silver labels truly stand out at a show. These labels look like they belong to a PRO or an MGS

Rich

Bugsy
05-21-2014, 07:05 PM
These labels look like they belong to a PRO or an MGS

That is exactly what I was thinking. They look like they were produced by one of the generic "companies" that only slab fake material.

the 'stache
05-21-2014, 07:08 PM
I don't get this. The presentation SGC had with the black gasket, the professional, well-organized flip with the green header, everything looked incredible.

Why do they feel the need to mess with perfection?

This is going to bite them in the behind.

e107collector
05-21-2014, 07:09 PM
These labels look like they belong to a PRO or an MGS

Rich

Ditto.

I don't like the new labels. I agree they should use an enhanced watermark on the flip for security measures, but bring back the green border.

Tony

vintagebaseballcardguy
05-21-2014, 07:21 PM
Been on their site a few times today and was quite a shock to see all the changes.
Here's what the new flips look like

http://www.sgccard.com/images/slide3.jpg

Looks like something I could make at home on my printer. Why??!!

Matt E.
05-21-2014, 07:31 PM
SGC,

A fix or two needed; on the SGC Power Ratings

The Wallace, No Cap One Line of 1910 Stats, is clearly harder to obtain the the Two Lines. The SGC power rating is wrong.

209 Bobby Wallace (No Cap, Two Lines Of 1910 Stats) 3
210 Bobby Wallace (No Cap, One Line Of 1910 Stats) 1

Thanks,

Matt E.

CW
05-21-2014, 07:39 PM

GregMitch34
05-21-2014, 07:40 PM
One more thing--the wider and brighter white header really takes away from the black mat look. I wouldn't be surprised if these look WORSE, not better in person.

Blackie
05-21-2014, 07:45 PM
I have emailed them at SGC. I'm sure they will evaluate their decision, especially if it effects business. I agree with buying the card but the holder and the old style flip was great. From the gaskets, customer service, turn around times and consistency, SGC stood strong. This new flip could change course of the "ship"..... I can hear my Garmin saying re-calculating on this decision

chernieto
05-21-2014, 07:46 PM
Although I do buy the card and not the flip, I'm not a big fan of the new SGC design. I don't even care about uniformity, but the new flips look way too generic and low budget.

As mentioned already, they should've come up with 3 or 4 new designs and posted them for voting on their new site. It might've generated a little bit of (positive) hobby buzz and it would've prevented them from making the wrong choice.

I agree completely -

The more I look on the new webpage the more I see Pre-WWII cards in the holders with a green outline label like the "old" ones. Maybe this is not current.
I'm confused, a little more than usual

Peter_Spaeth
05-21-2014, 07:47 PM
Not liking the new labels at all...have to agree with the other 99% of collectors here. They look like something that was designed and printed quickly, without much thought given to proper aesthetics or the value of brand-name recognition. SGC really should have gotten more customer feedback before going forward with this.

You have to wonder, whose idea was this, and who approved it and why? Maybe someone thought the simple look was cool, I don't know. But as has been said they look so much like the flips of the joke grading services.

ullmandds
05-21-2014, 07:50 PM
those flips suck!

kkkkandp
05-21-2014, 08:13 PM
I was going to go with the more politically correct "the new flips look amateurish," but I'll echo what Pete said.

If they had a consultant design that for them...hmmmmmmm.

e107collector
05-21-2014, 08:26 PM
If they had a consultant design that for them...hmmmmmmm.

Maybe the consultant was blind? :)

Tony

Gobucsmagic74
05-21-2014, 08:29 PM
I have emailed them at SGC. I'm sure they will evaluate their decision, especially if it effects business. I agree with buying the card but the holder and the old style flip was great. From the gaskets, customer service, turn around times and consistency, SGC stood strong. This new flip could change course of the "ship"..... I can hear my Garmin saying re-calculating on this decision

Great Robert...be sure to refer them to this thread in case they want to verify.

Blackie
05-21-2014, 08:32 PM
Dan I'm tracking. I let Earl and Sean know via email. Will follow up with phone call tomorrow as we'll.

T206Jim
05-21-2014, 08:32 PM
I am still pulling up the old site with the old holder. Could someone post a picture of the new holder?

Blackie
05-21-2014, 08:34 PM
Jim I think someone posted a pic earlier in this thread. I will check back to see

queencitysportscards
05-21-2014, 08:34 PM
I am sending in cards this week to SGC...I will post if I get the new flip. I am not a fan from what I can see online, but would also like to see in person before passing judgement. Overall, great company and service and my personal preference for grading services.

Hank

h2oya311
05-21-2014, 08:36 PM
I sure hope the new flips resemble the old...although I don't have any registered sets, I have been slowly gravitating to all SGC holders. If they change the flip, I will flip!!

1880nonsports
05-21-2014, 08:38 PM
for a long time for my graded sets. HATE the new flip - and that's not even taking into account my OCD and other alpha's. I'm nearly complete with a few sets and need the uniformity. I have a few cards they mistakenly holdered in their larger holders without telling me they were changing them - I've been waiting to submit them to be re-holdered since the national - and now I'll have to have a different style flip instead - still not a solution for me. Poor decision by SGC as the difference is so stark between old and new labels and the new flip as said gives the appearance of being cheaply made. I'm surprised the company wouldn't have solicited opinions, vetted, or at least assessed the reception to the changes from their user base before going live.

Blackie
05-21-2014, 08:38 PM
I am still pulling up the old site with the old holder. Could someone post a picture of the new holder?

Very odd, I'm pulling up the old site now too..... Didn't find a pic of the new flip back in the posts.

tribefan
05-21-2014, 08:40 PM
Check post #8

Blackie
05-21-2014, 08:42 PM
Check post #8

Roger got it, wasn't showing up on my iPhone, switched back to laptop

Gobucsmagic74
05-21-2014, 08:42 PM
Looks like something I could make at home on my printer. Why??!!

Whoops, thought the images would come with.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
05-21-2014, 08:45 PM
One more thing--the wider and brighter white header really takes away from the black mat look. I wouldn't be surprised if these look WORSE, not better in person.

I was thinking the same thing. PSA was smart to keep their label relatively uniform from the beginning. It helped build their brand. This change screams of New Coke.

TCMA
05-21-2014, 09:40 PM
Greg I hope you are right. I liked the old flip quite a bit. Kinda had a museum quality to it in my opinion.

Totally agree with this :)

jerrys
05-21-2014, 09:49 PM
Amateurish flips - should never have considered making this change at all.

The Simpleauctionsite.com setup pop report is incomprehensible.

Very poor management decisions.

GoCubsGo32
05-21-2014, 09:54 PM
Those flips are horribly designed. They look terrible. When people get stuff graded/auth. for their collection or resale...they want it to be professional looking as well. These design comes off very amateur and not professional.

the 'stache
05-21-2014, 09:54 PM
I sent Earl Johnson, the director of customer service, an e-mail linking to this discussion. I told him that I was about to put together an order to get about 10 vintage and pre-war cards graded, and then another order to crossover the T202 and T206 cards that were PSA graded. If what we're seeing here is indicative of the new flip, then I will not be using SGC for my collection. It's really too bad, as I love the way cards look in the SGC slab. The black gasket and the current (soon to be old) flip look very sharp. and everything I've read about their services have been top notch.

If you guys want to make your voices heard, please speak up.

Harliduck
05-21-2014, 09:56 PM
I was just starting to warm up to graded cards, and chose SGC as my flip and company of choice based on the look and security of the holder. I have even started a few player ad set registrations for the fun of it. The whole point of graded cards for me is the uniformity of the flips...I love it, and love SGC. The new ones look cheap and older...like the new style predated the old.

If they keep these, I am out. Again, I want uniformity. I agree with the person who said at least when PSA changes they still look uniform. These are awful, no way will I buy one. Maybe they can offer the old style for those who prefer it? If not...back to raw for me. Gotta have uniformity.

atx840
05-21-2014, 10:39 PM
Their secure address is forwarding to another simple auction site, email sent.

https://www.sgccard.com

dog*dirt
05-21-2014, 11:05 PM
for a long time for my graded sets. HATE the new flip - and that's not even taking into account my OCD and other alpha's. I'm nearly complete with a few sets and need the uniformity. I have a few cards they mistakenly holdered in their larger holders without telling me they were changing them - I've been waiting to submit them to be re-holdered since the national - and now I'll have to have a different style flip instead - still not a solution for me. Poor decision by SGC as the difference is so stark between old and new labels and the new flip as said gives the appearance of being cheaply made. I'm surprised the company wouldn't have solicited opinions, vetted, or at least assessed the reception to the changes from their user base before going live.

Agree completely. I have heard people complain about cards sliding out of gaskets and also issues with oversized holders but not a single complaint about the old flip. Who the hell did the the research and development for this? A simple poll on this forum or thier own message board would tell them what consumers want from a new holder.

I have always used SGC and it is quite frankly disappointing if this really is the new flip. It is just hard to imagine that the pros of the change outweigh the cons of not changing it.

sebie43
05-22-2014, 03:46 AM
SGC has always been top notch to deal with and customer service is great. That being said this was poorly executed, I dont appreciate just having this sprung on me, I should have sent more cards last time. They wont be going anywhere for now.
The main problems was with the gaskets, I understand adding a water mark, but removing the green border was a big mistake, I hope this isnt their final decision.

christopher.herman
05-22-2014, 04:05 AM
That is exactly what I was thinking. They look like they were produced by one of the generic "companies" that only slab fake material.

+1

barrysloate
05-22-2014, 04:27 AM
Many companies will test market a product and study the consumer feedback before releasing it into the marketplace. I hope SGC uses this thread as their test audience and proceeds accordingly. Obviously, with near universal dislike of this label- count me among those who think it looks awful- hopefully they will reconsider the change.

glynparson
05-22-2014, 04:34 AM
but i somehow like the new ones even less. Still believe Scott is probably the best grader currently working as a grader in the hobby.

kamikidEFFL
05-22-2014, 05:09 AM
I myself am not a fan of SGC grading. I prefer everything PSA. I know everyone has there opinion on whats better well what SGC is doing in my opinion looks absolutely horrible. If your a guy like me I like everything looking the same in my set and now to change the flip is a killer. I would probably pass on a card because of the flip change.

JasonD08
05-22-2014, 05:56 AM
The old flips were bad......these are really bad. Put some time into making attractive flips to go with the best holders. This could be costly for I am holding off on further submissions until they change it. IMO they now look like another cheap "fly-by-night" homemade grading service. I understand the clean and simple look, but the flips suck, especially the red cheap looking "authentic" font. Beckett has the most attractive holders in the industry. It is too bad 1 company has best holder, another one has best service, and the biggest one has only the population. Hopefully SGC will take notice and change this while they can.

frankbmd
05-22-2014, 05:59 AM
I'm sitting here in amazement at the irony of this thread and others.

Members chime in unison about the poor quality of the holders (any TPG) and rail on about fraudulent cards being placed in cracked holders and resold, holders (or gaskets) that don't hold the cards, or holders that are too thick or too thin.

Then the members in unison get all bent out of shape and chime in about a change in flips, whose sole purpose is to identify the card, certify its authenticity and assign an opinion regarding its condition.

And then when it comes to the cards themselves, members generally agree in unison and chime in with the Net54 mantra "Buy the card and not the holder".
If the holder and the flip are so (expletive deleted) important, more so than the card itself, isn't the mantra a bit hypocritical?

Furthermore these threads tend to promote behavior seen in conga lines with someone expressing their "personal" opinion (regarding the flip for example) and then the entire symphony orchestra feels compelled to respond in harmony usually.

Change is inevitable. Some will resist. Others will adapt. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but following a leader in lockstep didn't work in Jonestown for the Koolaid drinkers.

Be independent, my friends, and don't get swept away by the wave of a Net54 thread. Maybe everyone should design a flip they would be happy with and post it. Do you think we would agree on which one is the best? I respectfully think not.

ullmandds
05-22-2014, 06:03 AM
So Frank my friend...where do u stand on the "who said there are no good deals to be found on ebay"...thread?

Exhibitman
05-22-2014, 06:10 AM
Those new flips are GAI.

kkkkandp
05-22-2014, 06:46 AM
Those new flips are GAI.

Sadly, I think they are worse than GAI.

Who was the dealer who used to make up his own labels to justify his grades - David Festberg?

jp1216
05-22-2014, 06:57 AM
http://www.billripken.com/bucket/010Mantle.jpg

I remember similar chatter when the last flips were introduced. Bolder green border - how dare they? Adding the website address, removing the gold foil on the back etc. Change is always hard. I guess I wish they had asked the customers first - or had a poll, contest etc. Maybe even give customers the preference to use the 'old flip' for their sets etc. Maybe provide a 5 year grace period for that.

I'll wait until I see one in person before deciding. One feature I wish they (and others) would incorporate is the Q-Code (on the back). Those square bar code things. Easy to scan/verify into registries or looking up at shows.

I'll still support SGC and wish them the best.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
05-22-2014, 07:06 AM
Jon - The Q Code is a great idea and something I would not have thought of.

bn2cardz
05-22-2014, 07:15 AM
Let me start by saying that I am not concerned about things matching. I have cards in the same run/set that are graded by PSA, SGC, BVG and raw. The holder doesn't have to be uniform for me.

That said. I really don't have a problem with the new flip. I like that it has a simple look without a color border. I know I am in the minority and that may be because of my original statement about not needing uniformity in my holders.

nebboy
05-22-2014, 07:15 AM
Must agree that change is not always taken will at first.

Happens all the time in coin collecting.

Give it time and don't be to harsh in judgement. A font, boarder and color change, to a slab flap, does not mean the company's quality and customer service has changed.

I don't thing that graphically the flap is as good as what they had.

But it's not a deal breaker for me also.

ullmandds
05-22-2014, 07:16 AM
I would hope that if SGC were changing their flip it would be more of an evolutionary change...maintaining the attributes that we have all come to know and love over the years.

I know an excellent graphic designer who would be able to help with this if interested...651-226-6211...call me!

Leon
05-22-2014, 07:16 AM
http://www.billripken.com/bucket/010Mantle.jpg

I remember similar chatter when the last flips were introduced. Bolder green border - how dare they? Adding the website address, removing the gold foil on the back etc. Change is always hard. I guess I wish they had asked the customers first - or had a poll, contest etc. Maybe even give customers the preference to use the 'old flip' for their sets etc. Maybe provide a 5 year grace period for that.

I'll wait until I see one in person before deciding. One feature I wish they (and others) would incorporate is the Q-Code (on the back). Those square bar code things. Easy to scan/verify into registries or looking up at shows.

I'll still support SGC and wish them the best.

Nice post. Before anyone jumps off of the closest skyscraper I will be posting a scan of the new flip in the next hour or so. It is a fair amount different looking than what is posted on their website. It does have some green, no it isn't the same as the old one, but it looks a lot better to me than the one posted. Once SGC says it's ok I will post. It will be very soon.....

JasonD08
05-22-2014, 07:17 AM
Those new flips are GAI.

Actually the new GAI flips were attractive......their holders and ability to grade was what was bad.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
05-22-2014, 07:19 AM
Nice post. Before anyone jumps off of the closest skyscraper I will be posting a scan of the new flip in the next hour or so. It is a fair amount different looking than what is posted on their website. No, it doesn't have green and no it isn't the same as the old one, but it looks a lot better to me than the one posted. Once SGC says it's ok I will post. It will be very soon.....

Thank goodness you posted this. I was on my way to a skyscraper to jump. :D

h2oya311
05-22-2014, 07:34 AM
Serious work needs to be done to fix the population report. Searching by player name is easy and straightforward. If I search for an obscure set and type in everything exactly as listed (even using a listing under a player to verify how they would like the set to be identified), it comes up shooting blanks.

I liked how, in the past, I could simply type in 1921 and it would pull up the 20 or so sets from that date. This should be a fairly easy fix (although I am not an IT expert). I'm surprised no one noticed this during a test run w/ the new site before releasing to the public.

I'm looking forward to seeing a good scan of the new flip, Leon.

usernamealreadytaken
05-22-2014, 07:48 AM
To SGC: Try this, "You'll Flip over our new Flips!" That should do it.

jhs5120
05-22-2014, 07:53 AM
This will hurt the resale value of SGC cards.

usernamealreadytaken
05-22-2014, 07:56 AM
No doubt about it - this is a gamechanger. I may stop collecting cards altogether.*

Republicaninmass
05-22-2014, 07:59 AM
No doubt about it - this is a gamechanger. I may stop collecting cards altogether.*

I'm quitting the hobby because of it

BBL

frankbmd
05-22-2014, 08:04 AM
I must confess that one of the advantages of the old flips is that sometimes you can only see the upper half of the cert number until you get the card.;)

brewing
05-22-2014, 08:11 AM
Many companies will test market a product and study the consumer feedback before releasing it into the marketplace. I hope SGC uses this thread as their test audience and proceeds accordingly. Obviously, with near universal dislike of this label- count me among those who think it looks awful- hopefully they will reconsider the change.

That's only for companies that seek to make a profit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tomman1961
05-22-2014, 08:21 AM
I walked in Tuesday with 2 cards (I live 40 miles from them). The 2 cards I got back were in the "old" style. Green borders, I had a card done by them in 2005 and the label looks the same. Unlesss I am not understanding the term "FLIP".
Thanks-Tom

Leon
05-22-2014, 08:29 AM
Here is the new flip and it has been changed on the cards on their website...

ullmandds
05-22-2014, 08:30 AM
tHAT'S A SLIGHT IMPROVEMENT...PERSONALLY i THINK IT'D BE A GOOD IDEA TO CARRY THE GREEN BORDER AROUND THE PERIPHERY.

e107collector
05-22-2014, 08:41 AM
tHAT'S A SLIGHT IMPROVEMENT...PERSONALLY i THINK IT'D BE A GOOD IDEA TO CARRY THE GREEN BORDER AROUND THE PERIPHERY.

Pete,

I agree. I like the "SGC" micro print watermarks throughout, but I think by leaving the green border on the flip, it would look very nice. Just my opinion.

Can any of the photoshop experts create a SGC slab with the new flip, and put it a T-206 card in the pic? Just to see what it may look like? The cards they pictured on their website, were newer full sized cards.

Tony

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
05-22-2014, 08:52 AM

I agree (but not quite as emphatically). :D

The Nasty Nati
05-22-2014, 08:57 AM
Agreed change will come no matter what, but I think that by simply adding a green border to the flip this will make thousands of collectors happy. Our old slabs may no longer be uniform with the new, but with the added green border they will at least look close.

ZachS
05-22-2014, 09:03 AM
The new flip isn't TOO bad but I agree that the current one looks better. I'm also with the group that thinks the new flip would look much better with the green border.

Here's an idea of what the new flip would look like with a simple green border all the way around:

http://i60.tinypic.com/24yp6pw.jpg

jhs5120
05-22-2014, 09:04 AM
In my opinion, it looks better with the border. Novice collectors identify SGC with the flip. If you change the color scheme, people will notice.

gorrister
05-22-2014, 09:06 AM
http://www.sgccard.com/images/sgcflip.jpg

Blackie
05-22-2014, 09:18 AM
Thank goodness you posted this. I was on my way to a skyscraper to jump. :D

me too......lol

Bicem
05-22-2014, 09:18 AM
And then when it comes to the cards themselves, members generally agree in unison and chime in with the Net54 mantra "Buy the card and not the holder".
If the holder and the flip are so (expletive deleted) important, more so than the card itself, isn't the mantra a bit hypocritical?

Agreed, this whole thing shows how much emphasis people truly put on the holders. Takes away from emphasis on the card.

bobbyw8469
05-22-2014, 09:21 AM
Agreed, this whole thing shows how much emphasis people truly put on the holders. Takes away from emphasis on the card.

I understand that, buy the card, not the holder yadda yadda yadda.....but if you are OCD or like your collection to match, then mix-match flips will drive you bonkers if you are building a set!

ullmandds
05-22-2014, 09:22 AM
in my opinion, it looks better with the border. Novice collectors identify sgc with the flip. If you change the color scheme, people will notice.

+1...the green border makes a difference.

ullmandds
05-22-2014, 09:23 AM
I agree (but not quite as emphatically). :D

damn work computer requires caps lock!

Vol
05-22-2014, 09:36 AM
I understand that, buy the card, not the holder yadda yadda yadda.....but if you are OCD or like your collection to match, then mix-match flips will drive you bonkers if you are building a set!

This is going to drive the set builders crazy.

The flip doesn't look as good, that is just the simple truth.
:confused::confused::confused:

The Nasty Nati
05-22-2014, 09:48 AM
This looks better, but I would make the green border on top slightly thicker to match the style of the old ones.

Blackie
05-22-2014, 09:57 AM
This looks better, but I would make the green border on top slightly thicker to match the style of the old ones.

I agree .........I think they should consider the green border

Bicem
05-22-2014, 10:10 AM

Totally agree, that's why I collect raw.

Well, that's one of many reasons I should say.

arc2q
05-22-2014, 10:21 AM
I like the new website. I was not sure what you guys were referring to because my iPhone appears to link to a cached site that still looks like the old one. But when I logged on with an actual PC it goes to the new site. Looks good.

MVSNYC
05-22-2014, 10:22 AM
Changing the flips is a major mistake in my opinion, as others have stated they have no resemblance to the current ones and will make sets and collections non-cohesive. At least when PSA makes changes to the flips they somewhat resemble the older ones. And just when I thought I might go ALL SGC with my set????

+1

Why on Earth would they change the flip so drastically? Looks very early 1990's, when all of those start-up grading companies were trying to break in...Bad idea.

Leon
05-22-2014, 10:26 AM
+1

Why on Earth would they change the flip so drastically? Looks very early 1990's, when all of those start-up grading companies were trying to break in...Bad idea.

Hey Mike
Did you see the new flip just posted above? It is anything but poorly done or 1990s, in my not so humble opinion. It looks very nice to me but would be even better with a green border. I am not OCD and don't care as much about the holders as I do the cards.....and realize it does matter more to many other collectors so am not pushing my thoughts on others. I am merely giving one opinion.

Jantz
05-22-2014, 10:38 AM
This will hurt the resale value of SGC cards.

We can only hope.

I still need quite a few cards to complete my set.

But Hey, turn lemons into lemonade.

This adds a whole new dimension to my collection.

I'm going to do a flip run, you know, kinda like T206 collectors do a back run of a certain player. ;)

Jantz

05-22-2014, 10:45 AM
Those new flips are GAI.

Adam, just wanted to let you know that I got your joke.

glchen
05-22-2014, 10:50 AM
I noticed that the new flip no longer has a bar code. Not sure if that's important to anyone. I know that sometimes I check the bar code to see if it matches w/ the cert # if I think the flip may be fake. That may no longer be necessary w/ the new watermark.

atx840
05-22-2014, 11:04 AM
http://i.imgur.com/l2DUESE.jpg

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
05-22-2014, 11:05 AM
We can only hope.

I still need quite a few cards to complete my set.

In the spirit of compassion I am also willing to buy some of the newly holdered cards at 70% retail. I know that offer may shock some of you but I want to do the right thing. ;)

Howe’s Hunter
05-22-2014, 11:23 AM
Any time I get one of Howe's cards that has been graded, by anyone, I bust it out and put it in the binder. But I've always thought that at some point and time (maybe card 300, or 500, or whatever) I'd send them all off to be graded, in hopes of getting consecutively numbered cards back. And I always thought it would be SGC I would send them too, because of the black gasket that makes any card pop compared to the plain plastic around others, and an overall look of elegance, compared to other graded cards.

Now, with this ugly white-for-the-most-part flip, which almost draws the eye to the flip instead of the card, guess I'll be saving all my money to buy more cards to go in to the binder, and forget about SGC.

Rich Klein
05-22-2014, 11:25 AM
I agree with everyone who put the new borders in green. That design will stand out at a show, etore, etc. In addition, it takes the design out of the PRO, MGS design realm.

jerrys
05-22-2014, 11:30 AM

Members chime in unison about the poor quality of the holders (any TPG) and rail on about fraudulent cards being placed in cracked holders and resold, holders (or gaskets) that don't hold the cards, or holders that are too thick or too thin.

Then the members in unison get all bent out of shape and chime in about a change in flips, whose sole purpose is to identify the card, certify its authenticity and assign an opinion regarding its condition.

Furthermore these threads tend to promote behavior seen in lemmings with someone expressing their "personal" opinion (regarding the flip for example) and then the entire symphony orchestra feels compelled to respond in harmony.

Change is inevitable. Some will resist. Others will adapt. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but following a leader in lockstep didn't work in Jonestown for the Koolaid drinkers.

Be independent, my friends, and don't get swept away by the wave of a Net54 thread. Maybe everyone should design a flip they would be happy with and post it. Do you think we would agree on which one is the best? I respectfully think not.

The SGC management decision to change their label has drawn negative comments from SGC customers who have invested in their product and much prefer the as is look and to have uniformity in their collection. There is no need for your arrogant insult comparing us to "follow the leader" lemmings or your hackneyed philosophy.

Leon
05-22-2014, 11:34 AM
The SGC management decision to change their label has drawn negative comments from SGC customers who have invested in their product and much prefer the as is look and to have uniformity in their collection. There is no need for your arrogant insult comparing us to "follow the leader" lemmings or your hackneyed philosophy.

I didn't take it that way. I took it that he was saying we should make our own decisions based on our own thoughts, and not follow what others say for the sake of following, but maybe I am under a false apprehension?

usernamealreadytaken
05-22-2014, 11:35 AM
C'mon. No need for fighting. Let's get back to what we are all in this hobby for . . . the flips . . .

h2oya311
05-22-2014, 11:40 AM
It's just....too....much!

New holder + new flip + new website
Is equivalent to:
New job + new house + new baby

Way too much to bite off at one time.

bn2cardz
05-22-2014, 11:46 AM
It's just....too....much!

New holder + new flip + new website
Is equivalent to:
New job + new house + new baby

Way too much to bite off at one time.

Maybe that is why I don't mind it because I did the New Job/Career + New House + New Baby (actually had to leave the hospital to get papers singed on the house in a quick deadline) just last year. :D

Republicaninmass
05-22-2014, 11:51 AM
How about infinite guaranteed days on autographed cards, I can't find that on their new site, yet that's what I was told after my 20 day guaranteed submission, 35 days later

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
05-22-2014, 12:12 PM
I didn't take it that way. I took it that he was saying we should make our own decisions based on our own thoughts, and not follow what others say for the sake of following, but maybe I am under a false apprehension?

Are you saying that we should think for ourselves?!?!?!

GregMitch34
05-22-2014, 12:13 PM
I love it when people who disagree with a majority claim most in the majority are just "following" leaders like lemmings (or want to be just part of "the crowd") and therefore their views can be discounted. Who are these leaders here? And why in the world would anyone here be afraid to express a contrary opinion?

bn2cardz
05-22-2014, 12:25 PM
I love it when people who disagree with a majority claim most in the majority are just "following" leaders like lemmings (or want to be just part of "the crowd") and therefore their views can be discounted. Who are these leaders here? And why in the world would anyone here be afraid to express a contrary opinion?

If people are just following a leader than it is obvious that I am not one of these "leaders" as I think I am the only one that said that I didn't mind the new one. In fact, I really don't want a dominant color on the flip.

Gobucsmagic74
05-22-2014, 12:27 PM

I'd like to believe we are all independent thinkers who just happen to agree that the new flip design is terrible. It's somewhat insulting that Frank believes we are mindless drones playing follow the leader. I hate the new design because it looks terrible to me, not because others dislike it. It won't prevent me from buying an SGC graded card but it likely will prevent me from using their service, so I find the whole 'buy the card not the holder' argument being thrown in our face by Frank as mildly insulting as well.

calvindog
05-22-2014, 12:36 PM
Maybe SGC should just man up. Definitely not seeing anyone man up over there.

Gobucsmagic74
05-22-2014, 12:45 PM
Has there been any response from SGC? It sounds like Leon has had some correspondence, but no actual company statement as of yet. It's just hard to believe that the current design is their best effort and the response in this thread has been overwhelmingly negative which you would think extends beyond the net54 community.

Leon
05-22-2014, 12:55 PM
I was told SGC will most likely put out a statement later today or tomorrow. They do read this board frequently and take the comments under consideration. I am sure they want to take care of their customers while improving as much as they can. Sometimes when decisions have to be made you can try to appease the masses but "everyone" will never be happy. It is impossible.

Personally I think if they put the green border around it then that is about all I could ask for. But I am not the masses, nor a set collector, nor a holder collector :) so it doesn't make as much difference to me as it does others. And I don't even know that putting a green border around it is feasible? Sometimes printing can be tricky..

And I hope I wasn't putting words in Frank's mouth before when I said what I thought he meant. That was a faux pas on my part. I can barely keep up with myself.

I should add that my graded collection IS almost entirely in SGC holders.

chernieto
05-22-2014, 01:20 PM
I was told SGC will most likely put out a statement later today or tomorrow. They do read this board frequently and take the comments under consideration. I am sure they want to take care of their customers while improving as much as they can. Sometimes when decisions have to be made you can try to appease the masses but "everyone" will never be happy. It is impossible.

Personally I think if they put the green border around it then that is about all I could ask for. But I am not the masses, nor a set collector, nor a holder collector :) so it doesn't make as much difference to me as it does others. And I don't even know that putting a green border around it is feasible? Sometimes printing can be tricky..

And I hope I wasn't putting words in Frank's mouth before when I said what I thought he meant. That was a faux pas on my part. I can barely keep up with myself.

I should add that my graded collection IS almost entirely in SGC holders.

Thanks for all your efforts Leon! I thought the images today with the water mark looked better than yesterday's white appearing label. The green border would certainly go a long way towards pleasing many of us loyal SGC customers and give a better sense of continuity.
Paul C

ullmandds
05-22-2014, 01:22 PM
You guys should cut Frank some slack...much of what he speaks is the truth...and he's a bit of a sarcastic...wise-ass kinda guy..like me...but he's a lot smarter than I.

On the note at hand...and in opposition of Franks words...I think the flip is very important in aiding in projecting the TPG's image. The Flip should be appealing to the eye...somewhat unique...be written in an easy to read/boldish type font...have some form of id #...and should state the issue and grade in a clear and concise manner...and I almost forgot...almost impossible to falsify.

Additionally...if I were an established TPG with a good reputation...I'd want my Flip to remain recognizable and identifiable as mine...despite changes and evolution of the flip...while still complementing older versions of the flip.

In summary I'd want my flip to be like a porsche 911...or vw beetle!

kelleyrj1
05-22-2014, 01:25 PM
how do you pull up prior and current submission list on new sgc site?

t206hound
05-22-2014, 01:43 PM
how do you pull up prior and current submission list on new sgc site?

Apparently no one told SGC or SimpleAuctionSite (I believe the vendor for the new website) that there are these things called tablets and smartphones that don't have the concept of "hover." The "red bar" near the top does not work on the About, Submit Cards or Resources text. On a PC/Mac, hover over those to get a list. Proper implementation would be that a click would also display the sublist for those areas.

Luke
05-22-2014, 01:50 PM
I'm one of the OCD set collectors who will be annoyed if this drastic change happens. But I'm trying to be less OCD, so I I'll do my best to roll with it.

kelleyrj1
05-22-2014, 01:54 PM
thanks t206hound! i'll try that. always something new to deal with.
i guess life is like that, if there was not something new all the time,
life would be boresome. if sgc changes it format, we'll just have to
change with it. been dealing with sgc for years. always been good
to me.

kelleyrj1
05-22-2014, 02:05 PM
just checked sgc web site, they put a drop down "check invoice" on it.
not all data is inputted yet. but at least they are trying.

jujudrum
05-22-2014, 03:28 PM
At this moment, I like the old Flip better than the new one.
That being said, I haven't yet seen the new Flip in person.

I'm hoping that over time, the new design will grow on me.

In any event, regardless of the changes, SGC has my unconditional full support.

What is of primary importance to me is the world class grading expertise that the Company provides.

The Flip design is by comparison, is not much more than a footnote.

jbsports33
05-22-2014, 05:42 PM
SGC would just need to use the same color green for the border, the Photoshop examples are great - and there should be no reason why they could not add the border. I was going to get some cards graded this weekend at our local show. I will talk with SGC in person and see what they may have in mind. If they do not make a change I will just have to mix cards up that I sell with older holders and PSA and more ungraded cards. I have studied sales and changes with both companies for a few years. I had wanted to work with just one company for my website, which is one reason I have been holding back on buying too much. Now that my website is completed, I have started to think about just using SGC for cards and autos; this will make me think even more and will hold up sales and finishing my website with consistent product. I may as well go back to a mix of everything - very frustrating

Jimmy

the 'stache
05-22-2014, 05:45 PM

Leon, why must it be assumed that everybody that spoke out against the new SGC flip was "following the leader?"

I didn't read the whole "new SGC look" discussion before formulating my opinion. I saw the change. I thought it was ugly, and I stated my opinion. It just so happened that most everybody else who took the time to state their opinion felt the same waY I did.

When I buy a card, I consider only the card itself. Once I acquire the card, though, the flip and slab are very important. The SGC flip + slab combination that has been used up until now was, in my opinion, was the most attractive in the hobby...by far. Now they are changing it. Nobody has a problem with their changing it. We have a problem because what they are changing it to is far less appealing.

Republicaninmass
05-22-2014, 05:48 PM
Besides the work around, anyone able to check their submissions?

Also, did they kill off their message boards?

jujudrum
05-22-2014, 06:00 PM
Yes, You are able to see Your submissions.

the 'stache
05-22-2014, 06:02 PM
Besides the work around, anyone able to check their submissions?

Also, did they kill off their message boards?

Ted, I did a few searches for it last night, and couldn't find it. Maybe it's just not up yet, I don't know.

the 'stache
05-22-2014, 06:04 PM
For the sake of comparison:

The old slab + flip:

http://imageshack.com/a/img836/9256/rya2.png

The proposed flip:

http://imageshack.com/a/img835/1834/zrgn.png

The proposed flip if it had a green border:

http://imageshack.com/a/img842/5340/7x9n.png

JollyElm
05-22-2014, 06:09 PM
Tell me that Ryan flip is just a mockup. No way in heckfire that is a NM/NM+ card!!!!!!

Blackie
05-22-2014, 06:10 PM
For the sake of comparison:

The old slab + flip:

http://imageshack.com/a/img836/9256/rya2.png

The proposed flip:

http://imageshack.com/a/img835/1834/zrgn.png

The proposed flip if it had a green border:

http://imageshack.com/a/img842/5340/7x9n.png

I chose the proposed flip with green border! Just saying

Blackie
05-22-2014, 06:11 PM
And that is the ugliest SGC 92 Ryan I have ever seen ........lol.......you can tell its just for display.

Gobucsmagic74
05-22-2014, 06:14 PM
Would someone please add a simple poll with examples of flip a) proposed new design and flip b) new design with green border? I'm on my phone and am not sure if I can post the examples shown above for exemplars.

DeanH3
05-22-2014, 06:32 PM
Had some fun playing around with flip designs. I'm far from an expert but I gave it a shot.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m52/DHack3/SGCLogo4_zps66a322f4.jpg

Kenny Cole
05-22-2014, 06:33 PM
I vote top right

Blackie
05-22-2014, 06:33 PM
Dean I like selection 1 alot

Kenny Cole
05-22-2014, 06:40 PM

Furthermore these threads tend to promote behavior seen in lemmings with someone expressing their "personal" opinion (regarding the flip for example) and then the entire symphony orchestra feels compelled to respond in harmony.

To me, there is no issue about buy the card, not the slab, because I already have the card. The issue is, should I decide to send it in for grading, what the card I ALREADY HAVE is going to look like in the new slab and flip. If I think its going to look like shit, then I don't suppose I'm going to be as willing to send it in to be graded as I used to be. Its just that simple. It isn't a lemming thing, its a "I think my card is going to look like shit in that holder with that flip" thing. Pretty simple Frank.

The Nasty Nati
05-22-2014, 06:52 PM
Dean I like top right. Although I would add their millions of SGC watermarks to it.

Personally I don't see the point of a watermark they have proposed. I mean really a watermark? It's 2014 it's not hard to forge a watermark, whereas at least PSA has a hologram going on in the back of their flip that is harder to forge than a bunch of watermarks.

Not trying to hate on SGC, they really are a great company. I'm just baffled by this move.

Had some fun playing around with flip designs. I'm far from an expert but I gave it a shot.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m52/DHack3/SGCLogo4_zps66a322f4.jpg

yanks4
05-22-2014, 07:23 PM
Just to go on record...I could live with the new flip but the forest green border is a must or I will be very disappointed......:(

MVSNYC
05-22-2014, 10:33 PM
Hey Mike
Did you see the new flip just posted above? It is anything but poorly done or 1990s, in my not so humble opinion. It looks very nice to me but would be even better with a green border. I am not OCD and don't care as much about the holders as I do the cards.....and realize it does matter more to many other collectors so am not pushing my thoughts on others. I am merely giving one opinion.

Hey Leon- it's fine for us to disagree...I'm a designer, and do have a pretty keen eye. the proposed (borderless) flip is not attractive. period. I cannot be convinced otherwise. SGC's customer service is top notch, and so is their grading...my comments are strictly about the new flip. adding a green border will help somewhat, but i stand by my comment that it looks very 1990's (see early CSA cards).

Pythonfactory
05-23-2014, 01:45 AM
I'll throw in my two cents just in case SGC actually reads this.

The new, borderless flip looks like something I would print at home (i.e., cheap and unprofessional). I like how the original green border eases the stark contrast between the white label and black background. The bajillion SGC's on the new label aren't pretty either. I have a hard time believing that anyone with substantial graphic design experience could ever produce something so unappealing. In just a few minutes, members of this board have produced higher quality flips.

Also, I don't like the red for Authentic. Is green + Authentic not clear enough? I think the red is distracting and doesn't add any value.

I've asked a neutral third party who could careless about baseball cards and she ranks the flips accordingly (best to worst): old one, new one if it had a border, and new one without border.

I see the SGC holder's current appearance as a competitive advantage. I have no clue (even after reading the response from SGC) why they would mess with success. I'm sure there are some other aspects of their business that would be a much better investment of their time/money.

In summary: keep the old flip or go back to the drawing board with some new artists.

frankbmd
05-23-2014, 05:19 AM
Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away
Then SGC changed their flip this way
Oh, I believe in yesterday

Suddenly, my cards seem half of what they used to be
No green borders on the flips I see
Oh, yesterday came suddenly

Why the flip had to go I don't know they wouldn't say
Did I say something wrong, now I long for yesterday

Yesterday, TPG was such an easy game to play
I liked S G C, not P S A

Why the flip had to change I don't know they wouldn't say

I liked S G C, not P S A
Mm mm mm mm mm mm mm

Peter_Spaeth
05-23-2014, 06:39 AM
Lol.

bn2cardz
05-23-2014, 06:46 AM
I'll throw in my two cents just in case SGC actually reads this.

The new, borderless flip looks like something I would print at home (i.e., cheap and unprofessional). I like how the original green border eases the stark contrast between the white label and black background. The bajillion SGC's on the new label aren't pretty either. .

Have you seen the original flip? You couldn't print that at home?

From what I understand the multiple SGC in the background isn't printed. It is a water mark (based on what Leon stated originally before posting the new flip). Since we couldn't see it in the scan it looks like they showed us what it essentially would look like when you can see it. I don't know what technology you have at home but the fact that you can print security water marks at home, but were unable to do a green border on a white box seems strange to me.

chernieto
05-23-2014, 07:22 AM
Have you seen the original flip? You couldn't print that at home?

From what I understand the multiple SGC in the background isn't printed. It is a water mark (based on what Leon stated originally before posting the new flip). Since we couldn't see it in the scan it looks like they showed us what it essentially would look like when you can see it. I don't know what technology you have at home but the fact that you can print security water marks at home, but were unable to do a green border on a white box seems strange to me.

What seems stranger to me was Sean's response that having the continuity of a green border, maintaining brand recognition and loyalty, would be "difficult and cluttered". I would think with all the talent and technology advance in the world in 2014 these issues could be resolved

Jewish-collector
05-23-2014, 08:00 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Hn-enjcgV1o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
05-23-2014, 08:14 AM
Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away
Then SGC changed their flip this way

Suddenly, my cards seem half of what they used to be
No green borders on the flips I see
Oh, yesterday came suddenly

Why the flip had to go I don't know they wouldn't say

I liked S G C, not P S A

Why the flip had to change I don't know they wouldn't say

I liked S G C, not P S A
Mm mm mm mm mm mm mm

Nicely done McCartney!

joeadcock
05-23-2014, 08:33 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Hn-enjcgV1o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ha Ha

nolemmings
05-23-2014, 09:23 AM
I will give them some props for the red authentic label. I know some don't like it, but I think it helps someone presented with a stack or pile of cards to immediately sift out or hone in on the autographed cards. It draws the eye's attention, for sure.

dog*dirt
05-23-2014, 09:30 AM
I will give them some props for the red authentic label. I know some don't like it, but I think it helps someone presented with a stack or pile of cards to immediately sift out or hone in on the autographed cards. It draws the eye's attention, for sure.

I also like the red as it will stand out as opposed to the current holders.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
05-23-2014, 09:51 AM

I agree but I would put a border around it also.

Paul S
05-23-2014, 09:59 AM
I agree but I would put a border around it also.

If you put a green border around a red authentic it will look like a xmas card.

Texxxx
05-23-2014, 10:08 AM
Ill go on record saying that I could care less what it looks like. As long as it doesn't look like a 5 year old did it. I only care what the card looks like.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
05-23-2014, 12:14 PM
If you put a green border around a red authentic it will look like a xmas card.

Hahaha I know. I was thinking the border would be red.

Peter_Spaeth
05-23-2014, 12:28 PM
Ill go on record saying that I could care less what it looks like. As long as it doesn't look like a 5 year old did it. I only care what the card looks like.

The initial pics did look that way, but the newer ones do not. I agree with you, it's no big deal and would have no effect at all on my decision to buy or submit a card.

CW
05-23-2014, 01:43 PM