PDA

View Full Version : 1880's extended length glove

Runscott
05-20-2014, 11:50 AM
I was unaware that there were any photos showing such a glove being used for baseball - surprised we haven't seen any documented examples at auction:

Leon
05-20-2014, 04:29 PM
Isn't that similar to a workman's glove? I think that is what I have seen similar ones called(?), or are they smaller than this one?

Runscott
05-20-2014, 05:05 PM
Isn't that similar to a workman's glove? I think that is what I have seen similar ones called(?), or are they smaller than this one?

Unless I'm being fooled by the angle of the image, I think the back of the glove extends further than late 1800's gloves. My guess is that the glove he's wearing was more of a coachman's glove, and there was never any intent that it be used for baseball. I thought the baseball gloves that were called 'workman's gloves' were real baseball gloves that were called that because they resembled a workman's glove (primitive with no webbing), but they were shorter, not long like a coachman's glove.

I'm no expert at old gloves of any type, baseball or otherwise, so the above is all conjecture or based on what I remember from reading other people's research.

Runscott
05-20-2014, 05:11 PM
Also, I thought that in the late 1880's (OJ period) it was still considered to be kind of 'sissy' to wear any type of glove, and that only catchers were immune from criticism for doing so. Even the fielders leaned toward the fingerless gloves, but were moving toward bigger ones.

I love this glove image:

Doc Bushong OJ with fingerless glove (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/ca/Doc_Bushong_in_1888_Old_Judge_baseball_card,_crouc hing_position.jpg)

This Bushong image makes it more obvious that he is wearing a full glove on his left hand, and a fingerless on his right - I'm sure it's the same on the previous image. Reach was selling gloves in sets back then - full glove for the left hand, fingerless for the right. The evolution from two to one makes total sense to me: fielders caught barehanded using both hands. They then moved to using minimalist gloves, so still catching with two hands, they needed two gloves, and the fingerless right one allowed them to throw better.

Doc Bushong OJ showing full-finger left-hand glove (http://www.belizebreeze.com/bushongunited/photos/Doc_Bushong/Doc_Bushong_with_ball_1888_Old_Judge_card.jpg)

I'm going to verify the above through my Spalding and Reach Guides, then edit this post again - it's all from memory and could be full of errors.

1880nonsports
05-20-2014, 09:27 PM
always fun to learn something new. Of course my next biggest challenge is remembering anything. I've wanted a fingerless glove to go with my old orbs - but pricewise even before availability - they're out of "reach" to me. Never thought they might wear two.........

murphusa
05-21-2014, 12:17 PM
don't know about an extended glove but here is an early Spalding ad

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/murphyusa/catchers-gloves_zps2629bcc9.jpg (http://s6.photobucket.com/user/murphyusa/media/catchers-gloves_zps2629bcc9.jpg.html)

ksfarmboy
05-21-2014, 04:34 PM
Here's my cover from 1884. The mitt on the left looks kind of similar.

Runscott
05-21-2014, 04:40 PM
That's very interesting. I don't think that glove is as long as the one in the initial pic I posted, but could just be the angle. If I can get off the recliner, I'll go through my 1800's Reach and Spalding Guides tonight and see if I can trace the evolution of their gloves.

I'm guessing most of Reach and Spalding's customers at that time were still kids. I have an 1885 Spalding 'How to Field' Guide that I believe gives all of its instructions based on bare hands, but will double-check that as well tonight.

ksfarmboy
05-21-2014, 04:52 PM
Yeah that one in your pic Scott looks like a welders glove. Very long.

Runscott
05-21-2014, 04:56 PM
Yeah that one in your pic Scott looks like a welders glove. Very long.

There is probably a much clearer image of that O.J. around somewhere, but I can't remember the player's name.