PDA

View Full Version : need help with this weird Ruth ball

STLCollector
05-18-2014, 09:53 PM
Looking for information on some of these players, a handful played for a yankees farm team in various years, the Newark bears, and some I can't find any info on, if any of you Ruth experts can share a connection from a known event in ruths life to help me with info, I would appreciate...ball will be for sale once I know what this is...
Jack Glynn(1937 Newark bears)
Russ ?PanAtta, Peralta?
Al Mamaux(Coached the Newark Bears in 1932)
Paul Schreiber(batting coach in 1945 for yanks)
Joe Glenn(1932, 34 Newark bears player)
johnny Murphy(played for '32 Bears)

Thanks!

thecatspajamas
05-18-2014, 10:32 PM
That unknown Russ is Russ Van Atta, FWIW

ATP
05-18-2014, 11:35 PM
I believe the ball type places it between 1940-44. Van Atta was a Sheriff in Sussex County from 1941 to 1944. Ruth spent a lot of time in that area hunting/fishing, etc. A lot of the other guys have Newark connections. Maybe some kind of city event?

jerseygary
05-19-2014, 03:01 AM
Jack Glynn (a guy I've been researching for years) was, like Van Atta from Sussex County, N.J. Ruth was very close pals with Van Atta and since their days on the 33-34 Yankees would go to Sussex County to hunt, play golf and make the rounds of the taverns and road houses. When I was a kid in the '70 my grandparents would take me for car rides to "the country" on Sundays and it seemed like every little store and diner in Sussex County had a signed picture of The Babe.

Scott Garner
05-19-2014, 05:04 AM
Jack Glynn (a guy I've been researching for years) was, like Van Atta from Sussex County, N.J. Ruth was very close pals with Van Atta and since their days on the 33-34 Yankees would go to Sussex County to hunt, play golf and make the rounds of the taverns and road houses. When I was a kid in the '70 my grandparents would take me for car rides to "the country" on Sundays and it seemed like every little store and diner in Sussex County had a signed picture of The Babe.

Lance, Jeff and Gary are absolutely correct about Van Atta.

Johnny Vander Meer was one additional member of this group that liked to hunt and fish together from the time period of late 1938 until Ruth's untimely death in the mid-1940's. Vander Meer and Ruth first met prior to his 2nd no-hitter game and became friends following their first meeting

btcarfagno
05-19-2014, 06:33 AM
FWIW there may be no connection at all to Ruth per se. I am not sure if it is the lighting, but it seems to me that the Babe used a different pen than did the rest of the signors. While this does not necessarily mean that it was signed at a different time, it definitely increases the possibility. The possibility exists that this was originally a Ruth single that someone had others add to later.

Not saying this is 100% the case, but it is a possibility anyway.

Tom C

thecatspajamas
05-19-2014, 07:50 AM
The ball was manufactured between 1940 and 1942.

I would post the ball in the autograph sub-forum, and I'm sure you will get lots of opinions on the signatures themselves.

STLCollector
05-19-2014, 08:42 AM
Wow, great answers everyone! I was not expecting that much information! Anyone care to help price it out so i can sell? Preferablyfrom someone not interesting in buying it?

perezfan
05-19-2014, 09:33 AM
I'm thinking $5.5 - $6.5K. Tough to find such clean sigs on such a nice white Harridge Ball. Wonderful piece!

STLCollector
05-19-2014, 09:52 AM
Thanks Perez fan. Had $6k in mind but was hoping to stretch up to 7. Glad I was somewhat on target! Much appreciated and any other feedback for higher or lower pricing is still appreciated!

Forever Young
05-19-2014, 10:07 AM
Wrong forum.. you would get a better response if in auto side as expressed earlier.

jerseygary
05-20-2014, 11:45 PM
That's areally neat ball for me, I'm from NJ and have been reasearching Van Atta and Glynn for years. Van Atta was a few years older than Glynn and recommended him to the Yankee organization. Glynn played for a bunch of great top-notch AAA teams but with guys like DiMaggio in the Yanks outfield he never got a chance. Still, he played with the '37 Newark Bear and the '36 Oakland Oaks, 2 teams with bunch of future major leaguers on them. He later went on to be an officer in the Army Air Force during WWII and set up baseball teams all over Europe, calling on his many baseball pals to entertain the troops.