PDA

View Full Version : Autograph; To cut or not to cut?

ynnek4
05-18-2014, 01:36 PM
Hi,

I recently acquired an autograph that is within an old book. The book pertains to the person whose autograph in inside the book. My dilemma; I would MUCH rather have the autograph as a "cut autograph" in a PSA holder but I still need to send it to PSA for authentication. Basically, I would be looking at having to send it in twice to PSA in order to accomplish my ultimate goal. I am almost 100% certain it is legit and it comes from a very, very reputable auction house (and it includes their COA). They told me I have 45 days in order to send it to PSA. I am sort of apprehensive cutting it out and then sending it in and than having (in the very unlikely event) PSA tell me it is not legit. I would then (most likely) be stuck with it since the original seller would (most likely) not take it back cut up. I know this is highly unlikely but would PSA put the autograph in a holder for me if deemed legit? Even though I have already acquired the autograph could I do a "Quick Opinion" and then send it in cut?

Thanks in advance.

daves_resale_shop
05-18-2014, 02:35 PM
I too am a a fan of cuts... I don't care for them in slabs, but prefer a 3x5 , gpc or cut any day over a ball etc... my opinion is that they display much better...

I will however say that I would be reluctant to cut a big auto out of a book tat pertains to the player...

that said, sounds like you have a few issues:
1-confirmation as to whether or not your auto is good
-if you remove the autograph from the book, send it in for authentication & you receive a less than favorable result I highly doubt that the auction house would take the item back..

2-how you want to own your auto...
-cut? page in a book? this is your preference and totally up to you considering that you own the item..

My advice: post the auto here in the forum, net 54 has some of the most advanced and knowledgeable autograph collectors... I am sure your post will garner the opinions of a few if not many, which will likely make you feel more comfortable with you next step...

Best of luck & congrats on your new addition!

ynnek4
05-19-2014, 07:50 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I am almost thinking I could go ahead and pay for it to be put in a holder but have them just send it back for me to cut and then re-send it back to them? I hope they dont have to look at it again ($$) just because it was cut. :confused:

We shall see.

Thanks again.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
05-19-2014, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I am almost thinking I could go ahead and pay for it to be put in a holder but have them just send it back for me to cut and then re-send it back to them? I hope they dont have to look at it again ($$) just because it was cut. :confused:

We shall see.

Thanks again.

Why don't you just explain what you are trying to do? They may work with you on the placement of the invisible marker.

bender07
05-20-2014, 02:13 PM
Why so cryptic? I agree with David, just post the picture here and the forum can verify it.

Klrdds
05-20-2014, 04:04 PM
If you are concerned and do not want to post a pic for an opinion then why not have them cert. the book and sig. together. Then cut out the sig. and resubmit. I mean what is a little money if this sig. is a rare gem to get it certed twice. If it is not valuable then decide to cut or not and then get it certed once. In my opinion there should be no dilemma unless the book is also an issue as to rarity and/or value.
Would JSA cert the book and sig in total and then be done with it once.

aelefson
05-20-2014, 07:07 PM
Hi-
As a memorabilia collector, I would not be in favor of cutting the autograph from the book. Is the signature so rare that a vintage collectible item should be damaged to obtain it? Obviously it is your item and you can do with it as you desire, but that is my opinion.

Alan Elefson

ynnek4
05-22-2014, 03:21 PM
Why don't you just explain what you are trying to do? They may work with you on the placement of the invisible marker.

I emailed PSA Monday and today and no response. Decscribed to them my scenario and havent heard back. Are they usually slow to respond?

Thanks everyone for the replies.

JimStinson
05-22-2014, 04:46 PM
please pardon my confusion ...on this post, But I just don't "get it" ...if you bought the autograph or autographs from a reputable person why would you need a 2nd opinion ? If you felt you needed a 2nd opinion you should not have bought it in the first place. Unless you feel its important to pay $$$ for a pat on the back. If that is the case most on this board would do that for free.
Honest dealers that know what they are doing , usually get a 2nd , 3rd , and sometimes 4th opinion before they sell it.
I hate to tell you this but the reality is that the honest and reliable guys in this hobby that have been doing this for not months or years but DECADES know a little bit more than the alphabet soup group ...and will give you their "opinions" ...which in reality is what you are paying for ...an opinion ! as there is no such thing as an authenticity machine for free ! So sorry to say I don't get it , I buy collections ALL the time sometimes a half dozen a week , and I never ...let me repeat NEVER ask for a letter of opinion. I will indeed ask where something came from but never the other , which is in most cases if it exists is thrown away.
Either an autograph is genuine or it is not ....pretty simple

Just listed recent autograph acquisitions on my web site WOW !
http://stinsonsports.com/autographs-for-sale/

bgar3
05-22-2014, 06:29 PM
If the signature is available for a price somewhere, please first consider selling the book with autograph intact, and use the money to buy the cut, if possible. I think there are a number of people on the board who would be enthusiastic about owning a book about the person who autographed it, especially if it is someone well known, which this presumably is. I for one do not understand cutting a signature from a book, and have many times found significant annotations in such books, which, in my opinion, are far more valuable than the signature. You really would not have much to lose by trying.

baseballart
05-25-2014, 12:19 PM
I concur. There are still a few of us around who pay high prices for a book and more with a signature. In many cases, we will be able to access the cut you are looking for.

Max

ynnek4
05-28-2014, 03:39 PM
Like I suspected, PSA would not accept me paying for an encapsulation and just sending them the book w/ autograph in it (then me sending it back to them cut out). They said I would have to pay twice and recommended I just cut the signature out in the first place. I just went ahead and cut the signature out and sent it in (and filed the book in my library). Including the LOA (which you don't get back) with the signature is good for 30% off the encapsulation as well.

Hopefully this helps someone out in the future.

Thanks again for the replies.

David Atkatz
05-28-2014, 04:19 PM
Nice goin', Kenny. :(

bgar3
05-28-2014, 05:05 PM
REALLY? well at least you got a coupon to help you ruin another book, great.

Klrdds
05-28-2014, 05:26 PM
May I ask , without being rude, what is this " mystery" autograph and what was the title of the book it was in?

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
05-28-2014, 09:58 PM
May I ask , without being rude, what is this " mystery" autograph and what was the title of the book it was in?

I have also been wondering.

Scott Garner
05-29-2014, 04:13 AM

Crickets chirping..... :confused:

yanks12025
05-29-2014, 02:14 PM
Love people who DESTROY items, but it's yours so destroy it as much as you want.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
06-01-2014, 10:04 AM
It frustrates me when people ask for opinions and then don't share any information about the item. If you take something (people's time and opinions) then be prepared to give (pictures, etc).