PDA

View Full Version : My Kreindler project

effe
05-17-2014, 06:00 AM
As you may imagine I'm still in shock. This is by far the best item I've ever won. Over the past few days I've been scouring the web for possible subjects. I'm not a photo collector so I really didn't have any potential candidates in my collection. While I've come up with a few, I realized I'm ignoring what is likely the best resource out there, you guys. So here it goes...As someone already guessed, I'm a Milwaukee baseball fan so if you you've got any ideas for subjects you wouldn't mind sharing I'd love to see them.

Attached below are the potential candidates I've found out there. Feel free to critique them as well.

slidekellyslide
05-17-2014, 06:05 AM
Hank Aaron on one knee or Hank jumping against the fence....you can't go wrong with either of those IMO.

sebie43
05-17-2014, 06:06 AM
Cant go wrong with that first Aaron

yanks12025
05-17-2014, 06:23 AM
Were you buying a bigger size. Cause I think the size of the raffle is big enough for a portrait, I remember them saying something about this.

Lordstan
05-17-2014, 06:29 AM
Congrats on the win. Color me very jealous. No doubt you will enjoy this item forever.
My personal bias is for Graig to create his paintings from B+W images. I feel like he really gets to bring the image to life by starting with a more blank canvas.

My favorite of the ones you posted, BY FAR, is the Aaron jumping at the fence. It is a spectacular image that would make an incredible painting, but probably not at 16x20. Unfortunately, I think it would need to be bigger to really get the full impact and majesty of that shot. From talking with Graig, it's my understanding that he feels 16x20 size is most appropriate for portrait type images. Even the one kneeling would probably look a bit better with a slightly vertically longer canvas to keep the full effect.
You might consider talking with Graig about different sizes and how much extra they would cost. I'm not sure if the extra cost is doable for you, but knowing whether what size is your absolute limit will help you decide on the best photo.

I would speak to Graig now about your ideas. He is full of ...great ides(bet you thought I was going to say something else :D) and can help guide you through the process.

The good news is that no matter what you choose, you will love it.When I got mine, I posted this thread.
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=132908&highlight=kreindleritis

RTK
05-17-2014, 06:47 AM
Hank Aaron on one knee or Hank jumping against the fence....you can't go wrong with either of those IMO.

This. Mr Aaron is a great subject. I tend to like action shots with old ballparks in the background. Aaron playing defense is not something we think of often, it's a unique subject matter. The fence has wonderful texture too.

effe
05-17-2014, 06:57 AM
Were you buying a bigger size. Cause I think the size of the raffle is big enough for a portrait, I remember them saying something about this.

I thought of that as I was posting them this morning. I kind of figured that would eliminate the Aaron jumping photo, but based on my brief correspondence with Graig, I think the Aaron on knee photo would work. Plus it has Milwaukee County Stadium in the backdrop.

gregr2
05-17-2014, 07:04 AM
My 2 cents, I think the Aaron on his knee would work great for this project.

mark evans
05-17-2014, 08:44 AM
If you decide to go for a portrait, you might consider a painting of his 1958 Topps card. The bright green background, I should think, would be quite striking. Plus, you get Braves logo, etc., not to mention his name for viewing guests who don't know baseball.

billyb
05-17-2014, 08:46 AM
Effe,
I am so glad you are sharing this process with everyone, as for many of us, it is a learning experience of what we can and cannot get done. (size matters).
Future winners will have a better idea of the whole process, from this point to completion.
Congratulations again, and, I like Aaron kneeling also.

Bill

Maybe with this we can lure you to the photographic side.

CW
05-17-2014, 09:18 AM
That's pretty funny... the Aaron kneeling and the shot of him jumping at the fence were my two favorites as well. :)

While the jumping shot wouldn't work in this size, as mentioned, I'd also go with the Aaron kneeling. I'd imagine Graig would have a blast with it, too, as he'd have the stadium to "play" with in the background, and he'd have the added challenge capturing the sunlight from the photo.

baseball tourist
05-17-2014, 09:31 AM
I love the two Aaron choices too. You can't go wrong if you choose the knee shot or upsize and go for the fence image. I would have gone with Hank too. I feel that being 3 fans away in the attendance count and you picking Aaron, that I have won (sort of)! Now if I could just convince you to let me borrow the painting on weekends! :)

71buc
05-17-2014, 09:55 AM
I too am very happy for your good fortune and a bit jealous. I think Hank Aaron is a great choice and the shot of him leaping against the fence has long been one of my favorites. However, if I was choosing an Aaron image I would go with something quite different. Although he isn't in uniform I find the image poignant. It was taken moments after signing with the Clowns. He was leaving Mobile and his family as a scared teen not knowing what the future held. For me there is a lot of emotion in photo and it represents one of biggest moments in baseball history. How could anyone imagine that the frightened young man in that photo would go on to such greatness?

ethicsprof
05-17-2014, 11:07 AM
great photo, mike. I taught Aaron's daughter around '80-'81 and love to see the personal side of his life in the photos and paintings.
and congrats John on being the lucky winner.

best,
barry

terjung
05-17-2014, 02:49 PM
I have the honor of having one of Graig's paintings in my home office. Based on my experience, I would advise you to ask Graig for his opinion on size and subject matter early on in the process. If you tell him you'd like a Hank Aaron, he may have dozens of images of him that he can show you.

I'm considering having him do a second painting for me and he has shown me many images of the subject that I didn't even know existed.

During your discussion with him, ask him what size a particular image would need to be in order to do it justice. Just my $0.02, but I think it is better to have his involvement in all stages. He is an amazing artist and his process starts well before the brush hits the canvas.

tnfoto
05-17-2014, 03:57 PM
Here are a couple of Aaron options I didn't see posted above.

Scott Garner
05-17-2014, 04:59 PM
Here are a couple of Aaron options I didn't see posted above.

T. Scott,
I LOVE that top photo of Aaron. Absolutely terrific!

Forever Young
05-17-2014, 05:18 PM
T. Scott,
I LOVE that top photo of Aaron. Absolutely terrific!

Agreed... the top one posted by Scott would be my pick on what I have seen here and would most likely fit the parameters without issue.

sago
05-17-2014, 05:50 PM
I also like the top one (2 posts above). The first shot in your OP is fantastic, but it's already a color photo. I think black and white shots work best to start with, and then have Graig work his magic.

YankeeFan
05-17-2014, 07:28 PM
Belated congratulations on your winning this fantastic prize.

Though I'm a "YankeeFan", Henry Aaron was actually my favorite player growing up in the late 1960's - 1970's. I was rooting for him as he chased the Babe
and felt so bad for all of the grief he endured because of it. My Dad would take me to Shea Stadium whenever the Braves were in town.

Lots of great Aaron photos here. Both pics of him kneeling (your first one and the one with him wearing #5) are great.
Then again, in that press photo shown by Tnfoto, I love the way his face looks with the light shining on him.

The best thing is that between the artist and the subject, no matter what you choose, the end result will be a winner!

milkit1
05-17-2014, 07:46 PM
Aaron jumping against the fence, without a doubt

nebboy
05-17-2014, 08:12 PM
1st photo - head and chest. Right in Greg's zone

balltrash
05-17-2014, 08:13 PM
This has always been one of my favorite Milwaukee baseball related images and seems like it would work given the size. Sorry for the link..http://www.nytstore.com/Warren-Spahn--1956_p_5436.html

Lordstan
05-17-2014, 08:46 PM
Wow. Some great photos.
I really like the Aaron T Scott posted. I very much prefer it over the similar color one in the first post.

Jeremy, you really stepped up with that Spahn. Incredible composition and would definitely fit the size requirements.

I am torn. I think if he can go a little bigger, I would definitely do the Aaron jumping in the outfield. If he is going to hold to the 16x20 size, I would flip a coin to choose between T Scott's Aaron and Jeremy's Spahn.

Tigerden
05-17-2014, 09:15 PM
John good luck in your pursuit of the ideal Braves image for Graig to paint. Though I am partial to the Tigers , I had saved these two Braves photos and would have given them serious consideration if I had been fortunate enough to win the raffle.

Tigerden
05-17-2014, 09:17 PM
...and this photo of Eddie Mathews.

thecatspajamas
05-17-2014, 09:53 PM
I have the honor of having one of Graig's paintings in my home office. Based on my experience, I would advise you to ask Graig for his opinion on size and subject matter early on in the process. If you tell him you'd like a Hank Aaron, he may have dozens of images of him that he can show you.

I'm considering having him do a second painting for me and he has shown me many images of the subject that I didn't even know existed.

During your discussion with him, ask him what size a particular image would need to be in order to do it justice. Just my $0.02, but I think it is better to have his involvement in all stages. He is an amazing artist and his process starts well before the brush hits the canvas.

+1

Graig probably has more killer images in his "some day" dreamer folder than he has lifetime left to paint them in. If you've got some idea of the direction you'd like to go (team, player, era, etc), it's well worth your time to see what he's got already.

Another Mathews worth considering:
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll13/thecatspajamas99/L-/23/X00886_1.jpg

thecatspajamas
05-17-2014, 10:08 PM
This has always been one of my favorite Milwaukee baseball related images and seems like it would work given the size. Sorry for the link..http://www.nytstore.com/Warren-Spahn--1956_p_5436.html

This is the one he's referring to (and would get my top vote of those presented thus far):
http://www.nytstore.com/assets/images/extralarge/NSAP1515_EXTR.jpg

JoeyF1981
05-18-2014, 01:14 AM
Id go with the first aaron but any aaron would be awesome

frankbmd
05-20-2014, 07:55 AM
I'm guessing that you will not be picking the only known image of Willie Mays Aaron.:eek:

thecatspajamas
05-21-2014, 07:56 PM
So how about it, John, any updates on the decision-making process?

billyb
05-22-2014, 11:32 AM
John
I agree, the suspense is killing me. Have you at least narrowed the field down to a few.

Bill

Runscott
05-23-2014, 09:36 AM
I love 'Aaron Leaping'. If Graig thinks it would lose too much Aaron detail in a smaller painting, maybe something like this?

Lordstan
05-23-2014, 11:45 AM
I love 'Aaron Leaping'. If Graig thinks it would lose too much Aaron detail in a smaller painting, maybe something like this?

That would be an awesome painting.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

billyb
05-23-2014, 12:19 PM
RunScott,

Wow, my new favorite.

prestigecollectibles
05-23-2014, 12:44 PM
What happened to effe? If he is too busy or can't decide, maybe there should be a new winner :D

billyb
05-23-2014, 01:52 PM
John told me he is a card guy.

Rumor is now, after looking at all these photos, he is selling his card collection to buy photos..........LOL

Runscott
05-23-2014, 03:54 PM
John told me he is a card guy.

Rumor is now, after looking at all these photos, he is selling his card collection to buy photos..........LOL

He won't be the first.

effe
05-24-2014, 07:41 PM
Hi guys, I've been exchanging emails and photos with Graig pretty regularly. I have one a nice Aaron in mind that Graig is currently looking into. I'd rather hold off posting that one until I get his go ahead. The Peskin image I posted earlier and the early wire photo tnfoto posted are my runners up.

billyb
05-24-2014, 08:16 PM
John,
You are suspenseful. But I am sure your choice will be a good one.
Can you tell us, at least, if the photo you chose, was posted on this thread?

Deertick
05-31-2014, 02:59 PM
I already had my choice if I had won. It may have taken Graig extra time to get the nuances of the eyebrows, but it would have been worth it. :D
BTW, I LOVE Scott's idea.

Runscott
06-02-2014, 02:40 PM
Scott's ideas are lovable - it's Scott who's an a-hole :p

I really want to see that 'Aaron Leaping' in Kreindler-color. I might have to learn to paint.

GKreindler
06-03-2014, 08:35 PM
Hey all,

So, I wanted to update everyone on the status of this thing. I'm sorry that it's been taking a long time to get going, but there have been some issues with the image that John selected. I mean, not issues with John's choice, but issues with the image itself. Unfortunately, the nature of the whole thing is that the rights to it are owned by a third party who can be rather...um...flaky. In other words, I'm at their mercy right now.

I'm not going to post his actual choice until I'm completely sure that we can do it (I'm supposedly getting word and the scan in a few days), and even then, maybe I'll leave that part to John, as what he chose really reverberated with him. I can tell you for sure that it'll make a great painting.

In the meantime, I did purchase the necessary supplies for the piece, starting off with the stretcher bars, which I constructed below.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b158/GKreindler/photo1_zpsc46cc14d.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/user/GKreindler/media/photo1_zpsc46cc14d.jpg.html)

When selecting a linen, I end up trying different kinds and brands, as the weight and weave will vary. I think most of the time, I end up getting one that has a medium to smooth weave, which is nice for portraiture and heavy paint. Also, when I need to sand or scrape things down, the weight of the linen can withstand a beating.

A day or two after the bars were stapled into place, the linen arrived in the mail, which I then stretched onto the frames.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b158/GKreindler/photo2_zpsff2f0256.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/user/GKreindler/media/photo2_zpsff2f0256.jpg.html)

When that's taken care of, a coat of matte medium (which is water-based) is applied to the stretched frame. Traditionally when working with oils, artists would apply rabbit skin glue or other substrates to act as a boundary between the paint and the linen. Reason being is that over time, if the raw linen had oil paint applied to it (whether intentionally or not), the area can start to rot. We're talking 100-200 years down the line, but the goal is to be as archival as possible without being insane. In the photo below, I did a few at once.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b158/GKreindler/photo3_zpsf56e95c1.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/user/GKreindler/media/photo3_zpsf56e95c1.jpg.html)

After a day or so, the canvas was coated with acrylic gesso, which is that white stuff you're seeing on top. This is normally how I set these things up, though every now and again, I'll use an oil primer and not an acrylic one. Reason being is that paint reacts differently with each primer, and for the most part, the gesso surface is more along the lines of what I enjoy working with. Generally speaking, the paint tends to grab the surface and sit on top of it. I find that with oil primer, the paint sinks into it and dries quicker, which is not a bad thing by any stretch, but is not really the way I like attacking the thing. Of course, they're plenty of purists who would turn their noses up at the idea of using anything other than oil primer for their surface, and their certainly welcome to those opinions. However, I just work with what I like to work with.

Anywho, two coats of gesso are applied, and sanding occurs between the both of them (first a light one, and then a heavier one). At the end, the surface ends up being pretty smooth (the severity of which depends on the weave of the linen - a wider and heavier weave won't ever be super smooth).

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b158/GKreindler/photo4_zps34b618d2.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/user/GKreindler/media/photo4_zps34b618d2.jpg.html)

From here, the thing is ready to be drawn on. And once I get the appropriate image, I'll be able to do as such.

Hopefully this shop talk isn't too boring to anyone. I just figured that some of you might be interested in the process from that point of view. If not, I can certainly keep it less intense.

Either way, thanks for reading, and thanks again for participating!

Graig

Runscott
06-03-2014, 08:41 PM
Graig, that is COOL. Thanks for sharing.

I can't wait to get my 2nd Kreindler study, and to post the two framed results with associated autographs. I'm eyeing that Cobb, so someone better grab it quick.

baseball tourist
06-04-2014, 08:33 AM
Graig, that is COOL. Thanks for sharing.

I agree...very interesting.

thecatspajamas
06-04-2014, 09:23 AM
Very cool seeing the process in detail. What some may find tedious and over-informative, others (myself included) enjoy for the abundance of information and insight that it gives into the process. I can't wait to see the whole thing laid out, so that I can just follow along step-by-step and start producing my own Kreindler knock-off paintings! ;)

Deertick
06-04-2014, 09:38 AM
Very cool seeing the process in detail. What some may find tedious and over-informative, others (myself included) enjoy for the abundance of information and insight that it gives into the process. I can't wait to see the whole thing laid out, so that I can just follow along step-by-step and start producing my own Kreindler knock-off paintings! ;)

I'd much rather see a step-by-step documentation of the process.

I can't stand when a cooking show throws a non-disclosed amount of ingredients into a bowl and the next thing you see is them eating a soufflé. :mad:
Or a DIY show on building a deck, jumps from pouring footings to " and then just add the stairs and railings and enjoy your new deck". :eek:

sebie43
06-04-2014, 10:01 AM
Thanks Graig, I learned alot about the procees that I had no idea of. And I like how it fills in the life story of these great paintings, awesome stuff.

GKreindler
06-04-2014, 01:36 PM
Lance, I just hope that your knock-offs aren't non-Yankees - then I'll be jealous.

I'm glad you guys enjoyed that last post. I'll keep things in that spirit, and if you have any further questions that you feel like asking, don't hesitate to. Once I get to actually painting the thing, it might be a bit tougher to articulate things, but I'll certainly do my best.

Graig

billyb
06-04-2014, 04:28 PM
Graig,
Thanks for sharing the set up process, I had no clue all that was needed. You definitely have great knowledge, not to mention your skill. Combined, you are the tops.

Thanks for sharing

Bill

thecatspajamas
06-04-2014, 06:10 PM
Lance, I just hope that your knock-offs aren't non-Yankees - then I'll be jealous.

I thought that was going to be in the next step: "Selection of Subject -When selecting the subject for your painting, strong consideration should be given to popular deceased players from New York. If none of the popular dead Yankees can be settled upon, any obscure player may be suitable, provided he is depicted wearing pinstripes."

Scott Garner
06-05-2014, 04:28 AM
Graig,
I'm digging the process steps. VERY cool!

ramram
06-05-2014, 07:58 PM
Love seeing the process. Keep 'em coming. May not want to show too much of your secrets though cuz a bunch of us might start doing our own paintings. Can't be that hard can it....?

lol

Rob M.

GKreindler
06-14-2014, 05:15 PM
Hey guys,

So, here's the deal: I'm still waiting for my contact to come through with the image that John requested. I went to LA last weekend, and was expecting it to be waiting for me when I got home. Of course, that wasn't the case, and I was told it would be here 'any day now.' It's possible that 'any day' might mean 'never' considering his track record, so I figured I'd ask you fellas in a last ditch effort to get this thing moving.

Did any of you win the below image from one of Henry Yee's auctions? It's one of the amazing Marvin Newman slides he was auctioning off, so it would have been bought in the past year (though I don't remember exactly which one, unfortunately).

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b158/GKreindler/HankAaron_zps1f9b4272.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/user/GKreindler/media/HankAaron_zps1f9b4272.jpg.html)

I really hate to be the one who let the image out of the bag, especially since I was hoping that once we had it, John could talk about why it attracted him. However, at this point, I just don't know whether I'll be able to get it any other way.

If you do have it and are willing to help out, please drop me a PM or an email (gkreindler@gmail.com). I'm happy to pay you for both your time and trouble. I just really want to get this thing as soon as I can so I can start. Also, if need be, your identity can be kept secret if that is at all a concern.

Thanks, everyone.

Graig

almostdone
06-14-2014, 07:16 PM
Graig,
I wish I could help out but unfortunately I can't. I hope the wheels loosen up a bit to get this moving because that it a beautiful shot of Hammerin' Hank in full stride.
Good luck,
Drew

GKreindler
07-28-2014, 12:33 PM
Hey everyone,

I FINALLY have an update to the progress of this raffle painting.

My contact with John Rogers never came through on Newman image unfortunately, so we had to finally give up on that one and look elsewhere. John was really into the idea of the Hy Peskin shot that was in his first post of this thread, so we looked high and low for that one as well. While he didn't find the exact shot anywhere (Peskin's website doesn't even seem to offer the thing anymore), he did find one from the same shoot that was probably taken a second before or after.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b158/GKreindler/20140725094326_00002_zpscf6a057c.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/user/GKreindler/media/20140725094326_00002_zpscf6a057c.jpg.html)

I'm going to be doing it a little larger than what we originally offered in the raffle - so, now we're at 16" x 24". The extra few inches on top with frame the image much better, in my eyes. Unfortunately that means that the 18" x 24" that I had already constructed has to be used for something else.

So right now, my hope is to buy stretcher bars for it tomorrow (as I didn't have any extra 24" ones handy), construct the supports, prime and prepare it, and then perhaps have the drawing done by Wednesday, right before the National. I'll keep posting updates here for those of you who are interested.

Graig

baseball tourist
07-28-2014, 02:49 PM
Couldn't have picked a better image myself. Awesome choice!

DHogan
07-28-2014, 06:12 PM
My favorite is the one with him jumping near the fence.

perezfan
07-28-2014, 07:08 PM
Same here.... by a landslide. And that could have made a killer 16" X 24" painting, by isolating as necessary on the leaping Aaron.

The Peskin pose chosen is pretty majestic as well. I like Aaron's face a bit better than the similar image (which was posted at the beginning of the thread).

billyb
07-29-2014, 08:37 AM
John,
Great choice.

Graig,
I will be looking forward to your magic show. Keep up the great work.

whitehse
07-29-2014, 08:41 AM
Looking forward to seeing this image come to life if Kreindler-color!

GKreindler
07-30-2014, 02:32 PM
Hey everyone,

Thanks for tuning back into this thread. Now that we have the image all worked out and I can actually put something down on canvas, I'll be updating it a LOT more regularly until the piece is in John's hands. And certainly, I really appreciate you all chiming in and sharing your thoughts.

First off, I definitely agree about the quality of the Aaron jumping image - it really is pretty bad@SS. I think that one would make one heck of a cool painting, especially at the 16" x 20" size (or thereabouts). However, I'm definitely loving this Peskin shot as much, too. I guess I'm just at peace with the fact that I know I'll do the other one at some point as well.

Anywho, onto the canvas at hand. The drawing is officially on the darn thing.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b158/GKreindler/HankAaron1_zps2813f9fe.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/user/GKreindler/media/HankAaron1_zps2813f9fe.jpg.html)

They're a few people off the boards who have asked me about the squiggly lines and what they represent, so I thought I'd address it here for those of you who may be curious. For the most part, having an underdrawing done for a painting acts as a road map for most artists, whether it's for something as simple as gesture lines, or if it's meticulous to the point of creating a full-on black and white guide that will later be glazed over with transparent color. By no means does everyone use them, and I don't want to say whether I think it's 'wrong' to do so, but for me, it works.

For me, rather than just doing an outline of things for a skeleton, I prefer to get a bit more involved. All of the those squiggles that you see are changes in value, color, and/or temperature. Sometimes those changes are subtle, sometimes they're major, but the most important thing for me is that they're there. It's kind of a way of thinking about the drawing as being sculptural moreso than a bunch of lines that I'm filling in with color. Though, I guess you could say that it still looks rather paint-by-numberish. Whoops.

Anywho, now that it's all drawn in, I can start with some color. The drawing was spray fixed with a Krylon product called Workable Fixatif, which will create a clear acrylic-based barrier between the drawing and the paint that'll go on top of it.

With that, I put a warmish oil wash over the painting to create a colored-ground to work off of. For me, the ground is meant to do two things. One, to get rid of the stark white of the canvas as soon as possible. Traditionally, when creating a ground one would usually do so with a medium value so that when colors are placed on top of it, they can observed closer to their real value. For example, on a completely white surface, a small spec of paint in a medium value would look much darker than it actually is.

The second thing the ground does for me is create certain atmospheric effects that can't be attained in any other way. Since all oil paint has a bit of translucency to it, whatever's underneath a typical stroke of mine will show through and effect it in some way. That's the sort of thing that will create richness, nuance, and a lot of headaches - all parts of the process.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b158/GKreindler/HankAaron2_zps93018e62.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/user/GKreindler/media/HankAaron2_zps93018e62.jpg.html)

After the National, I plan on jumping back into the thing and starting to put down some actual color. But man, I'm THRILLED that I have something to show before heading out to Cleveland.

I hope y'all dig my thoughts along with the progress shots, even if it can sometimes sound flowery or long-winded. Regardless, as per usual, any thoughts, comments, or critiques are ALWAYS appreciated.

Thanks for reading!

Graig

Kawika
07-30-2014, 03:09 PM
All of the those squiggles that you see are changes in value, color, and/or temperature. Sometimes those changes are subtle, sometimes they're major, but the most important thing for me is that they're there. It's kind of a way of thinking about the drawing as being sculptural moreso than a bunch of lines that I'm filling in with color.

Easy if you are from Krypton and have X-ray vision. Just sayin'.

thecatspajamas
07-30-2014, 03:20 PM
I was going to make some smart comment about that being a paint-by-number from hell, but you kind of beat me to that one :p
So I guess I'll just go back to staring at it and trying to envision it through your eyes. So far it's just giving me a headache, but if I cross my eyes just right, I swear I can almost see the 3-D image. It's a spaceship, right...? :confused:

nebboy
07-30-2014, 03:25 PM
I paint in much the same process. It's always nice to learn something ( I have never heard of or tried Workable Fixatif to seal the pencil lead so it doesn't show or smear with the oil/medium. I have used hair spray before, or very light varnish.

I will check it out.

Love your work. John

frankbmd
07-30-2014, 03:25 PM
Who knew Hank had all those tatts?:eek:

billyb
07-30-2014, 06:43 PM
Graig,

It's already a beauty to me, to finally see it.

GKreindler
08-04-2014, 02:08 PM
Hey all,

Thanks for all of the kind words and support throughout this project.

So, I'm back from the National, and that means back to the easel. I've been working on this all day, so here's the progress thus far:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b158/GKreindler/HankAaron_zpsfe83d882.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/user/GKreindler/media/HankAaron_zpsfe83d882.jpg.html)

In this first underpainting/dead color stage, my main concern is to get basic value relationships and colors down onto the surface. In a way, it continues with the idea of the drawing in that it acts as a skeletal system for the finished painting. With these initial strokes, it gives me a good chance to just cover the canvas with a block-in, something that has the same amount of detail work throughout (which is important so the whole picture is kept in mind while working). The color ends up being a bit on the dead side because it's somewhat thinly applied, and since oils by nature are somewhat translucent, a lot of the background stuff ends up showing through the paint. It's only going to be through a few more passes that I will be able to create some interplay between the opaque areas and more transparent ones.

This will need the (at least) rest of the day to dry, and then everything else that will go on top of it will become the very meat of the painting. This initial block-in is usually a bit weird to me, but it's always the start of the second pass where I start to see things coming together.

Anywho, hope you enjoy it! And as per usual, feel free to share any comments, be they good or bad.

Graig

Scott Garner
08-04-2014, 02:29 PM
So cool! It looks awesome so far... :)

GKreindler
08-04-2014, 06:15 PM
Thanks a lot, Scott! I hope by the end of the week, I will have made some serious headway on things.

terjung
08-05-2014, 12:47 PM
Enjoying your posts on this, Graig. I just now realized that you were at the National. I'm really disappointed that I didn't get a chance to come see you. (Note to self: make sure you get out of the booth more next year.)

Thanks for posting your step-by-step sequencing. I'm always blown away by how low the % complete is in your words. Your 50% complete would easily register 100% complete for others. That last 50% that you put into it where you really pay attention to the influence of light is what gives your work magic, IMO.

I'm eager to watch the progress of this one.

GKreindler
08-06-2014, 12:55 PM
Hey Brian,

Crapola, I didn't know you were there, either. I certainly would have made the effort to come on by and say 'hello.' Where was your booth, anyways?

Believe you me, this guy isn't even 25% done - it's got a ways to go. However, now that the first pass as dried, the paint and color that I put down is finally going to start to sing.

Here's what we got so far:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b158/GKreindler/photo_zpse6cbdf38.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/user/GKreindler/media/photo_zpse6cbdf38.jpg.html)

It's definitely on its way to something, even if it's still in its very early stages.

One of the things going on with Hank that I'm loving is working with his skin. For the most part, when African American skin starts to get a little sweaty, the sky reflects off of it so nicely, and you get these wonderful mauves, magentas and pinks, especially those who have a darker complexion. With a few exceptions, you don't really get the same kind of colors in Caucasian skin, so this is becoming great fun. Combining that with the different colors in the Milwaukee jersey, and you're gonna have a pretty colorful piece. I'm very much looking forward to that.

Hope you guys dig it so far.

Graig

thecatspajamas
08-06-2014, 02:58 PM
Good grief.

I've got to go get my chin sling ready, because if that's only 25% of the way there, I'm going to need some support as this thing nears completion (you know, on account of my jaw dropping and all). If I were John, I'd be investing in some extra pants as well...

Gobucsmagic74
08-06-2014, 03:01 PM
So when's the next raffle? Amazing!

billyb
08-06-2014, 04:32 PM
Graig,
You said not even 25% done yet???? Holy crap that's so good already.

GoBucs,
In the fall sometime. Providing everything is a go.

Jay Wolt
08-06-2014, 05:21 PM
Looks great so far

effe
08-06-2014, 06:04 PM
Wow, that is awesome! It is so cool to see this work in progress. Now that I'm seeing it come to life I'm thinking we made the right choice.

I was also a pleasure meeting you at the National. Did you manage to flip those '87 Topps for a profit?;)

CW
08-06-2014, 08:03 PM
This is absolutely amazing! Thanks for sharing the images and thought processes, Graig.

Also kicking myself for not perusing the floor more and finding your booth. Would've been great to shake your hand and also see your great works.

GKreindler
08-06-2014, 08:12 PM
Thanks, everyone! :)

Dan, I hope we have it soon. I think we're hoping that Leon gives us a green light, and also, we might make this next one for a bit of a larger painting. I'm not too sure yet, but I would imagine we'll have it worked out in the coming weeks.

John, it was great meeting you, too! I hope I didn't scare you away by my '87 pack busting. I can't say that I turned a profit in the end. Though, I did give the rest of the wax box to a friend to distribute amongst young convention goers. I think they were a hit, though hopefully there was no illness due to gum consumption (though I think Cycleback didn't do so well with aspect).

Anywho, here's where we are at the end of today:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b158/GKreindler/photo_zps654e98d8.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/user/GKreindler/media/photo_zps654e98d8.jpg.html)

The photo isn't all that good, as the light in the studio is wreaking havoc amongst the color, but that'll happen at night. However, I'm happy to say that it's completely blocked-in. Now, it's just going to be a lot of modulating of color temperatures, values and edges. Actually, I have a feeling that the progress that's going to happen from now on will be a bit less noticeable in these updates. I'll definitely try to be specific about certain sections, though. As of right now, it'll probably need to dry a bit tomorrow, so I'm not sure I'm going to be doing much more to it, but we'll see what the morning brings.

Glad to see we're getting somewhere!

Graig

billyb
08-06-2014, 09:32 PM
This is what we have been looking for since we first started the Kreindler event. Effe, congratulations not only on winning, but on your choice. The finished product will be fantastic. It may not be a bad idea that you download the photos Graig is posting for the history of your piece.

Bill

varsitycollectibles
08-08-2014, 02:37 PM
I lean towards Aaron flying into the fence. Great action shot with an ad that says paints on a painting? Would no doubt be sweet.

Scott Garner
08-09-2014, 06:14 PM
good grief.

I've got to go get my chin sling ready, because if that's only 25% of the way there, i'm going to need some support as this thing nears completion (you know, on account of my jaw dropping and all). If i were john, i'd be investing in some extra pants as well...

+100

GKreindler
08-12-2014, 06:51 PM
Hey all,

More progress on this today. Though I've worked on it for plenty of hours, it probably doesn't look like much:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b158/GKreindler/HankAaron_zpsb356bc48.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/user/GKreindler/media/HankAaron_zpsb356bc48.jpg.html)

Things are definitely coming together nicely, I think. I'm really enjoying that bright light on Henry's uniform, and have started to have some fun with it. Some of my favorite kind of stuff in painting can be seen in the edges of shadows - especially, when they're against a lighter subject, you're going to get a sort of penumbra of super intense color. It's the kind of thing that gives those bright values a luminous quality, as opposed to just being properly placed.

I just really feel that the quality of light can be exploited with the proper manipulation of edges. Though it's a bit crude so far in this stage, here's a better example of what I'm talking about:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b158/GKreindler/Hands_zps996a615e.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/user/GKreindler/media/Hands_zps996a615e.jpg.html)

With that red along the edge of Aaron's fingers and lower arm, it would just be a flat shape. It would still give the impression of that light, but with that kind of color choice separating the darker tones from the light, I think it really actually shines off of the surface and makes the white in his jersey seem that much more brilliant, and even makes his arm turn in space a bit better. It might sound a bit crazy, but trust me, when seen on a painting in person, it's a really cool effect.

Anywho, hope you're enjoying the process thus far!

Graig

Lordstan
08-12-2014, 08:01 PM
Hey all,

More progress on this today. Though I've worked on it for plenty of hours, it probably doesn't look like much:

I just really feel that the quality of light can be exploited with the proper manipulation of edges. Though it's a bit crude so far in this stage, here's a better example of what I'm talking about:

Graig

Graig,
You know I love you, but what the hell are you talking about????
It doesn't look like much?!?!?! It's a bit crude so far!??!?!
HFS. In my wildest dreams I couldn't create anything even in the same universe as your beginning work.
Damn man. It looks spectacular. Even unfinished, I would proudly display that in my home.
Mark

Scott Garner
08-12-2014, 09:16 PM
Unreal, Graig! :)

Runscott
08-13-2014, 10:46 AM
I had my doubts about the photo used, but this is AMAZING!!!

TimCarrollArt
08-13-2014, 11:45 AM
Graig, it looks incredible! Can't wait to see the finished piece.....

Tim

billyb
08-13-2014, 12:33 PM
Graig,
What an outstand work of art. Not Finished, Crude????? I totally agree with Mark, "what the hell you talking about".

John, (Effie),
You have got to be spending hours in front of your monitor just drooling. And I don't blame you. Soon, you will have that beauty in your hands.

Hell, if it were mine, I'd hang my wife on the wall and sleep with the painting. Okay, after a couple of days, I would find an excellent wall space for the painting.

Runscott
08-13-2014, 12:59 PM
Graig,
What an outstand work of art. Not Finished, Crude????? I totally agree with Mark, "what the hell you talking about".

John, (Effie),
You have got to be spending hours in front of your monitor just drooling. And I don't blame you. Soon, you will have that beauty in your hands.

Hell, if it were mine, I'd hang my wife on the wall and sleep with the painting. Okay, after a couple of days, I would find an excellent wall space for the painting.

This reminds me of a joke about a guy named 'Art' who had no arms or legs.

Regarding Graig's paintings, I showed one of his studies to a painter, telling him that it was a study for a larger, more detailed painting. You should have seen the look he gave me.

timzcardz
08-13-2014, 02:02 PM
Just thought I'd play around . . .

http://www.cal-lector.com/Net54/Kreindler-Robinson-InProgress.gif

ramram
08-13-2014, 03:21 PM
That's cool Tim!

GKreindler
08-13-2014, 06:22 PM
Hey guys,

Sorry, that post probably came off wrong. I just had meant that I had put in a lot of work into it since the last time I posted, but the progress probably seemed minor. And the crudeness was more in reference to where the arm was with that red line, which still needs modifying. But yeah, sorry about that - didn't mean to come off as sounding like a d!ck.

Tim, that GIF is friggin' AWESOME. I love it. If you end up doing for the painting when it's complete, I would love to see it.

Scott, did he look at you the way Ben looks at a plate of wings?

Graig

Runscott
08-13-2014, 08:09 PM
Scott, did he look at you the way Ben looks at a plate of wings?

Graig

As in..."That isn't going to do it." (I think I got the quote right).

timzcardz
08-14-2014, 09:26 AM
Tim, that GIF is friggin' AWESOME. I love it. If you end up doing for the painting when it's complete, I would love to see it.

Glad you liked it!

I will certainly try to update it as you post more progress pics.

GKreindler
09-07-2014, 08:24 PM
Hey everyone,

Hope this post finds y'all well and ready for the end of the summer. For those of you back in school, I'm sorry.

Due to some business with the Gehrig ALS painting, and some attempts to get back to other commissions, I haven't been able to work too much on ol' Hank over the past few weeks. However, these last few days have seen him back on the easel.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b158/GKreindler/photo_zps9631a676.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/user/GKreindler/media/photo_zps9631a676.jpg.html)

It might seem like not a heck of a lot has been done since the last post. Once stuff gets blocked in completely and I try to focus on rendering and sweetening certain parts up, that's kind of the nature of the beast. But I assure you, a lot has been done.

At this point, I'm trying to just be precise in my carving out of the shadow and light shapes throughout the image. And there are tons of areas that need a lot of temperature and color changes, all of which end up being pretty minor, but in my opinion, make all of the difference.

There's one spot in particular that I'm talking about in regards to that sort of thing, and that's in the Braves script across his chest.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b158/GKreindler/photo_zpse8100811.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/user/GKreindler/media/photo_zpse8100811.jpg.html)

It's even a little tough to tell in the photo, as it doesn't necessarily come across in reproductions. But that spot where the shadow comes across that 'B', there was room for a lot of fun stuff to happen. I tried to play a bit with the compliments there, having some greenish-grayish hues in the cooler, shadowed red area. Also, the line separating the shadow from the light has a toned-down green touch to it, which hopefully accentuates that warmly-lit red curve. That's one of the fun things I've learned about color over the years, as it can always be made to sing louder when it's working with something around it.

There are similar things happening in areas throughout the painting, some of which are more finished than others. Hopefully in the next week, I can sweeten them up (along with everything else) and get this thing closer to done.

Hope you fellas are enjoying the updates (and my babbling).

Graig

Lordstan
09-07-2014, 08:38 PM
Graig,
It's always a pleasure to read your posts. I learn so much about painting techniques. Things that you describe were mostly lost on me, up until now at least. You explaining why a certain color pops here instead of there makes my appreciation of the skill it takes to create these paintings even higher.
Great stuff.
Best,
Mark

billyb
09-08-2014, 08:50 AM
Graig,
That painting is just amazing. Your descriptions in this process shows your dedication you put into each painting. Mark is right, that it makes us understand better, and appreciate more, your skills. Keep up the great work.

GKreindler
09-10-2014, 04:06 PM
Hey all,

So, we're reaching the final moments of this one, finally.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b158/GKreindler/photo_zps193c614a.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/user/GKreindler/media/photo_zps193c614a.jpg.html)

Right now, there are a lot of things in the background that are gonna need work, mainly stuff with the stands. However, for the most part, Hank is pretty close to completion.

It's at the point where the whole painting needs to dry for at least a week or so, and then I can throw some Galkyd on it to enrich up the painting surface. For those of you who may have any pieces of mine, the Galkyd is what makes the surface shiny and glossy. When it's applied, all of the areas that appear matte and dull will come back to their initial states of application, where the color looked wet and vibrant. In part of the oxidation process of oil paints, they're certain colors that go a surface and keep a bit of their sheen, though others might not. - it all depends on the nature of the pigment. Anywho, it's through that medium application that I'll be able to see the exact problems going on in the background stands. In this case, they're rather dark and dull, so not only are the values a little askew, but it's tough to make out whether the actual lines are even straight.

At the same time, Hank will also really start to pop after the Galkyd, and I'll be able to fix anything on him that isn't quite noticeable to me in its current state. I'll be excited to see if his jersey still maintains that sense of bright light, as there's a lot of subtle temperature changes within it right now which almost seem like they might be in need of some value control.

But yeah, like I said, he's pretty darn close now. And that makes me happy.

Graig

billyb
09-10-2014, 05:04 PM
Effie,
Hey John, when you finally get this beauty, you better wear a diaper, because you just may wet your pants. It is that good.

perezfan
09-10-2014, 05:09 PM
Agree.... an ongoing supply of adult undergarments should be stored in your man cave. You'll need some for visitors, as well.

This is just phenomenal work... and that Braves Flannel is such a classic (and so beautifully executed by Graig). I love how the sun peeks through the back side of his sleeve, right behind the tricep.

Just another jaw-dropper!

GKreindler
09-10-2014, 09:09 PM
Thanks, guys. I hope John loves it just as much. :)

I'm looking forward to another raffle soon, too.

GKreindler
09-28-2014, 09:02 PM
Hey all,

Just a quick update, the painting of Hank has been completed and was dropped off at my photographer's on Friday. I would imagine I'll have a scan to show by tomorrow or Tuesday, and then I suppose I'll close out my participation in this thread with some final words.

However, I wanted to again thank John, Bill, Lance and Leon for letting this whole thing happen, as it's been a LOT of fun. I was thrilled to paint someone who I've been meaning to do for some time, and then having a forum to get my thoughts out on the whole process became pretty meaningful. I hope in the end, John and everybody else likes the final product.

I'm definitely excited for the next raffle when the time comes. Until then, I still have a LOT of stuff that needs catching up with.

Graig

GKreindler
09-30-2014, 10:53 AM
Hey all,

So, here we have the final piece.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b158/GKreindler/Hank_Aaron_1955_County_StadiumEn1_zps2e433fec.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/user/GKreindler/media/Hank_Aaron_1955_County_StadiumEn1_zps2e433fec.jpg. html)

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b158/GKreindler/Hank_Aaron_1955_County_Stadium-En2_zpsa29086e5.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/user/GKreindler/media/Hank_Aaron_1955_County_Stadium-En2_zpsa29086e5.jpg.html)

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b158/GKreindler/Hank_Aaron_1955_County_Stadium-En3_zpsab37a772.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/user/GKreindler/media/Hank_Aaron_1955_County_Stadium-En3_zpsab37a772.jpg.html)

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b158/GKreindler/Hank_Aaron_1955_County_Stadium-En4_zps9b651d3b.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/user/GKreindler/media/Hank_Aaron_1955_County_Stadium-En4_zps9b651d3b.jpg.html)

I got the scan back from the photographer's today, and after a little bit of color correcting, this is pretty close to the original. However, like I've mentioned before, no photograph - no matter how good - will ever come close to actually seeing an original work of art. Especially when it comes to oil paints, the luminosity of the medium can really only be experienced in the flesh. Or paint. Yeah.

I gotta say, I enjoyed the hell out of doing this project. I was so thrilled to be able to paint Hank Aaron finally, and the fact that I got to do so using such a killer image was an absolute boon. Not only is it just crystal clear and iconic, but all of the light-play combined with that amazing Milwaukee jersey makes for some really exciting (and bold) color.

The only thing that I wish was different doesn't really have anything to do with the painting process itself, but I wish that I knew exactly what year it came from. I'm sure that it dates from either '55 or '56, but I've never been able to lock down the specific season. Granted, knowing the day and month would be great too, but I don't need to be that exact here. Had it been an action shot, I think I really would have pushed for that a lot more.

So, I'll pick up the original from Gamma (my photographer) at some point this week and then get 'em out to John shortly there after. Hopefully he'll be willing to chime in once the painting is in hand.

If anyone has any comments or questions, I'd love to hear them!

And again, thank you ALL for participating in the raffle and keeping an eye on this thread. I sincerely hope that this can be a semi-regular thing on Net54, as long as the interest in having it continues.

Graig

billyb
09-30-2014, 04:41 PM
Graig,
The color seems so vivid and real. What a great work of art. To be just a small part of the creation of this gem, as was everyone who participated in the raffle, makes me feel great. If it was not for everyone who participated, this great piece would not have existed.

Bill

Lordstan
09-30-2014, 04:50 PM
Graig,
It really is a beauty. That photo was a great choice.
Now for the most important question. When is the next raffle?

billyb
09-30-2014, 05:00 PM
Mark,
I hope to be posting something in the next couple of weeks. Just want to focus on John and his new addition to his collection.

Bill

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
09-30-2014, 05:43 PM
Nice painting

CW
09-30-2014, 06:24 PM
You can really see the youthful exuberance in Aaron's face, despite the fact that he's in a relaxed pose. Graig, you captured it perfectly. Little did Hank know of the milestone he'd pass 18 years later. Love the painting!

yanksfan09
09-30-2014, 07:16 PM
Gorgeous! The lighting is fantastic. Congrats all around!

billyb
10-01-2014, 08:08 PM
John
Just curious, do you have a spot all picked out for the painting????

icollectDCsports
10-01-2014, 08:27 PM
Amazing work of art, and it was fun to follow the process.

effe
10-03-2014, 02:02 PM
John
Just curious, do you have a spot all picked out for the painting????

Not yet, but I've begun planning it out. The walls are full now, so its a matter of determining what comes down.

billyb
10-06-2014, 03:38 PM
John,
Word is Hank is on its way home. Enjoy.

Graig,
Your explanations of the process through these months have been great. You need your own reality show. "Kreindlers Krafts, of Baseball Art". I'd watch it.

John,
I know the selection process was not that easy, finding just that right photo can be a chore. When and if we have a second winner, any suggestions to them that may help them out.

Bill

effe
10-07-2014, 08:41 AM
John,
I know the selection process was not that easy, finding just that right photo can be a chore. When and if we have a second winner, any suggestions to them that may help them out.

Bill

I guess my only advice for the next winner would be to remember that it is your choice. Suggestions from the board can only help, but in the end choose a image that you're happy with. I couldn't imagine any of the other images I saw turning out as nice as this one did.

billyb
10-07-2014, 11:54 AM
Nor can I, thank you John for the response.

effe
10-12-2014, 02:29 PM
All I can say is wow. As great as the photos have looked, finally seeing the painting in person is truly a jaw dropping experience. I couldn't be happier! Graig really has a rare talent. Thanks to Billy for organizing this event!
http://www.net54baseball.com/picture.php?albumid=633&pictureid=16494

D.P.Johnson
10-12-2014, 03:03 PM
Stunning!

gregr2
10-12-2014, 03:25 PM
Awesome! Can't wait to win the next one! :-)

billyb
10-12-2014, 04:55 PM
John,
You are more then welcome John, it truly was my pleasure. Thanx for sharing, it looks great. You answered my next question. Do They look better in person? And your answer.....WOW!
Enough said.

Billyb