PDA

View Full Version : 1933 Goudey Lou Gehrig Real or Fake?

MUhoops
05-16-2014, 09:31 AM
Hello all,
I'm new to collecting Pre WWII cards. I fear I may not have done enough homework on this purchase. The seller says it's authentic, and will give me a refund if not which is nice.
I was going to send to PSA, but wanted to get your opinions as I think it might be a waste to send in.
My concerns are...
1) The width is slightly larger than 2 3/8". Not sure if some were cut slightly larger.
2) The bat is extending too much over the border. Just a slight faint yellow really over the border.
3) The color of his skin seems slightly reddish

Attached are pics. Any help is much appreciated! Thanks

Leon
05-16-2014, 09:48 AM
It is real and will probably grade a 1. Since it's a higher end card it's still worth slabbing if you want to, imo.

MUhoops
05-16-2014, 10:01 AM
It is real and will probably grade a 1. Since it's a higher end card it's still worth slabbing if you want to, imo.

Really?! That's good to hear. The card seemed authentic, but I was really worried about the bat and the fact that it's slightly wider than the spec.

I purchased with the intention of getting a PSA 1. Thanks!

Leon
05-16-2014, 10:19 AM
Really?! That's good to hear. The card seemed authentic, but I was really worried about the bat and the fact that it's slightly wider than the spec.

I purchased with the intention of getting a PSA 1. Thanks!

I think it will be fine.....Good luck and let us know. As time goes by, and you have looked at literally hundreds and thousands of '34 Goudeys, most times we can tell from a scan. But that one as all of the right characteristics.

6-4-3memorabilia
05-16-2014, 10:20 AM
It does look good but to piggy back Leon it is a low grade. As far as the picture itself it just might be the view of the picture that looks off. Would be a great pick up since a lot of people are scared buying Gehrig cards raw.

Bocabirdman
05-16-2014, 10:38 AM
I agree that it would get graded as a one but the flaws, in my opinion, do not take away from the eye appeal. That would look great slabbed. Nice score!:)

6-4-3memorabilia
05-16-2014, 10:41 AM
I agree that it would get graded as a one but the flaws, in my opinion, do not take away from the eye appeal. That would look great slabbed. Nice score!:)

That card is a 10 compared to that Waddell of yours haha

Bocabirdman
05-16-2014, 10:44 AM
That card is a 10 compared to that Waddell of yours haha

Rube has STYLE.:D He is a survivor!

frankbmd
05-16-2014, 10:44 AM
I think it will be fine.....Good luck and let us know. As time goes by, and you have looked at literally hundreds and thousands of '34 Goudeys, most times we can tell from a scan. But that one as all of the right characteristics.

Gosh I hope the same experience criteria works with '33 Goudeys as well.

I would trust a guy who knows what year the card is.:D

I do agree with the conclusion though

6-4-3memorabilia
05-16-2014, 10:56 AM
Rube has STYLE.:D He is a survivor!

Its been Loved, sometimes its boring having a pre war card in great shape

Bocabirdman
05-16-2014, 11:39 AM
Its been Loved, sometimes its boring having a pre war card in great shape

Not to hijack the thread but I may have to reconsider having my wounded Waddell as my avatar. I am often offered cards in similar shape as if Rube is representative of my entire collection.:eek:

6-4-3memorabilia
05-16-2014, 11:42 AM
Not to hijack the thread but I may have to reconsider having my wounded Waddell as my avatar. I am often offered cards in similar shape as if Rube is representative of my entire collection.:eek:

HAHA yeah I can only imagine people going "Oh Bocabirdman likes beat up stuff, I should ask him if he wants it"

T206Collector
05-16-2014, 11:46 AM
FWIW - I was looking at that card as a possible purchase, too, without any doubt as to its authenticity.

MUhoops
05-16-2014, 01:17 PM
Thank you very much everyone!
Yeah, I bought it on ebay a couple months ago.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
05-16-2014, 03:13 PM

Didn't someone complete a beater set a whole back?

Sent using Tapatalk

bobbyw8469
05-16-2014, 03:22 PM
It looks more real than the one I posted!

jlehma13
05-17-2014, 08:23 AM
Didn't someone complete a beater set a whole back?

Sent using Tapatalk

Trying to! Maybe I should put a beater T206 in my avatar. Nice Gehrig BTW.