PDA

View Full Version : Interesting stuff about Cueto and his start.

steve B
05-16-2014, 06:41 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/cueto-throws-2nd-shutout-reds-beat-padres-5-01-051514

Some interesting stuff there. Especially these

"Cueto is the first major league pitcher to go at least seven innings and allow two or fewer runs in each of his first nine starts since the Philadelphia Athletics' Harry Krause in 1909, according to information provided the Reds by the Elias Sports Bureau. "

I never realized Krause was that good.
And my immediate thought was "what about Gibson in 68?" Then I checked, and his start was less than impressive.

"Also, he is the first Reds pitcher to go at least seven innings in each of his first nine starts since Bucky Walters in 1944."

That's also pretty interesting. Especially since a lot of those years were before relief pitchers were common. Were the Reds ahead of their time? Or was their starting pitching that bad between 44 and say 65 or so?

Steve B

howard38
05-16-2014, 06:54 AM
Bill James wrote an article about Krause in his Historical Abstract. He seemingly came out of nowhere as a rookie and won, I believe, his first ten starts w/an ERA below 1.00 before cooling off. He still won the ERA title but had modest success for the next few years and ended up w/a long minor league career.

barrysloate
05-16-2014, 09:16 AM
1.25 ERA. You never see one that low.

stlcardsfan
05-20-2014, 01:23 PM
He is also a helluva a kick boxer.