PDA

View Full Version : Lionel Carter T206 PSA Graded

insccollectibles
05-15-2014, 05:19 PM
Hey Everyone,

I ran across this card in my collection and was wondering if there are a lot of Lionel Carter PSA's out there? Was some of his collection sent to PSA for grading or is this one just a crossover?

T206Collector
05-15-2014, 07:16 PM
Looks like someone didn't like the SGC AUTH on a Lionel Carter T206 and gambled on a PSA crossover. I doubt there would be many crossed over to PSA.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
05-15-2014, 09:02 PM
Did Carter trim?

Sent using Tapatalk

Jay Wolt
05-15-2014, 10:24 PM
I ran across this card in my collection and was wondering if there are a lot of Lionel Carter PSA's out there?

Now & then you see some PSA Lionel Carter's, not sure if PSA re-holdered some SGC's or if raw set winners from Legendary submitted them to PSA

https://loveofthegameauctions.com/ItemImages/000002/2176a_med.jpeg

Leon
05-16-2014, 06:40 AM
Did Carter trim?

Sent using Tapatalk

He was a condition freak and I have never heard of him doing it, but it was very common way back in the early days, so it wouldn't surprise me too much if we found he trimmed a few to fit in binders. But overall, I kind of doubt it.

barrysloate
05-16-2014, 07:32 AM
The early plastic sheets were side loaders, and many of the oversized tobacco cards wouldn't fit. So it was common for collectors to take a little bit off the top until the card slid easily into place. I had a friend who was collecting his T206's in the 70's and 80's who used to do that.

Jay Wolt
05-16-2014, 10:47 AM
He was a condition freak

Leon, I always thought so as well, but I ran across a bunch of beat up & trimmed cards that came from his collection.
Perhaps he never was able to upgrade them.

http://www.qualitycards.com/pictures/carterpedigreeb.jpg

Luke
05-16-2014, 10:53 AM
His Plank that Nelson had was also really beat up. Carter said he almost threw it away but decided to keep it until he found a better one. He probably did that with a few cards and never found a nicer one.

slipk1068
05-17-2014, 06:20 AM
Leon, I always thought so as well, but I ran across a bunch of beat up & trimmed cards that came from his collection.
Perhaps he never was able to upgrade them.

or they were cards he did upgrade and never traded the duplicates?

Jay Wolt
05-17-2014, 07:22 AM
David, not so sure.
When Legendary was consigned his massive collection, they sent SGC various complete sets to pedigree & slab.
So each card should be the only one slabbed. So each L.Carter card should be a 1/1.

Al C.risafulli
05-17-2014, 07:33 AM
I was fortunate enough to have been doing marketing work for SGC when this collection came in for grading. At the time, I was producing Collector magazine and got to work on an article about it.

My understanding is that Mr. Carter began collecting in the 1930s, and the first set of his that was fairly universally spectacular, condition-wise, was his 1938 Goudey set. That set was sold whole, and is still intact on the SGC Registry.

The sets earlier than 1938 had some condition issues, as he had to trade for or buy those cards. Obviously, some of those wound up being altered, as was the case with a lot of cards from back in the day, when a slight trim wasn't done to deceive.

My understanding is also that some of the sets and single cards in his collection were kept ungraded and sold that way. The T206 set was sold in SGC holders, if I recall, so this example must be a crossover. Pretty cool that PSA kept the Carter pedigree.

-Al

freakhappy
05-18-2014, 11:40 PM
I was fortunate enough to have been doing marketing work for SGC when this collection came in for grading. At the time, I was producing Collector magazine and got to work on an article about it.

My understanding is that Mr. Carter began collecting in the 1930s, and the first set of his that was fairly universally spectacular, condition-wise, was his 1938 Goudey set. That set was sold whole, and is still intact on the SGC Registry.

The sets earlier than 1938 had some condition issues, as he had to trade for or buy those cards. Obviously, some of those wound up being altered, as was the case with a lot of cards from back in the day, when a slight trim wasn't done to deceive.

My understanding is also that some of the sets and single cards in his collection were kept ungraded and sold that way. The T206 set was sold in SGC holders, if I recall, so this example must be a crossover. Pretty cool that PSA kept the Carter pedigree.

-Al

Very informative...thanks, Al!

slipk1068
05-19-2014, 11:48 AM
Very informative...thanks, Al!

indeed. thanks jay, al.