PDA

View Full Version : Ya'll vs. Y'all - A Texan's Anguish

frankbmd
05-15-2014, 04:13 PM
I have a current BST listing including the word "y'all"

Leon in a post I cannot recall used the word "ya'll" several times.

Apparently this is a hot topic down in Texas.

http://gaelynnwoods.blogspot.com/2012/07/yall-vs-yall-texans-anguish.html

In my unofficial role as an occasional operative of the Net54 grammar police, I am prepared to issue a citation to Mr. Leon Luckey, an admitted Texan.

I want y'all to chime in on what the punishment should be and to be fair, who should be punished.

vintagetoppsguy
05-15-2014, 04:37 PM
You can decide the punishment, but it's definitely "y'all" :D

barrysloate
05-15-2014, 05:55 PM
Since it's a contraction for "you all", the apostrophe goes between the "y" and the "a".

You don't hear it used a lot in Brooklyn.:(

nolemmings
05-15-2014, 06:22 PM
You don't hear it used a lot in Brooklyn.

Youz don't?

barrysloate
05-15-2014, 06:28 PM
"Youse guys" would be classic Brooklynese.

nolemmings
05-15-2014, 06:32 PM
Thanks Barry. Heading to Brooklyn this summer with my daughter, and we don't want to look like Rubes.

barrysloate
05-15-2014, 06:47 PM
Actually, I might go easy on the "youse guys".:)

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
05-15-2014, 07:08 PM
"Y'all" is a word I use regularly.

HRBAKER
05-15-2014, 08:26 PM
I like to use it in conjunction with my other favorite Southern contraction, fixin.'

As in, "Whatta y'all fixin' to do?"

Leon
05-15-2014, 09:14 PM
Y'all have this all wrong. And as normal I probably screw up where I put the little apostrophe. But ya'll get the message :). If I get a citation can I take defensive driving writing?

drcy
05-16-2014, 01:13 AM
My mom's side of the family are WAY up north (a couple hundred miles north of Green Bay) and they all say "Eh" like Bob and Doug McKenzie.

barrysloate
05-16-2014, 04:12 AM
My mom's side of the family are WAY up north (a couple hundred miles north of Green Bay) and they all say "Eh" like Bob and Doug McKenzie.

Do they call each other hosers?

frankbmd
05-16-2014, 09:52 AM
Y'all have this all wrong. And as normal I probably screw up where I put the little apostrophe. But ya'll get the message :). If I get a citation can I take defensive driving writing?

Yes, you are getting a citation. No fine or jail time, but .....

you must stay after school and start a thread and then post the following 500 times or you may use the chalkboard and post a picture when finished.:D

Yawl is a sailboat.
Y'all know that.
Ya'll isn't even in the dickshunairy.

Jayworld
05-16-2014, 02:46 PM
Being a native North Texas, born, raised, and still dwelling therein, I think y'all is greatness, as is fixin', as in:

Y'all get ready to go 'cause we are fixin' to leave d'reckly…

(that's colloquialism for directly)….

Orioles1954
05-16-2014, 08:41 PM
In the Metroplex they say "Howdy" and "Fixin"
In West Texas around Amarillo they say "How-da" and "Fittin'"

I love those Texans :)

tiger8mush
05-17-2014, 06:44 PM
as usual i'm in the minority, but i always spell it "ya'll". A contraction of "ya" (slang for "you") and "all".

Is there a word where the first word is ever contracted? Its usually the second word ...
can not = canno't
we will = wewi'll
you are = youa're
etc

Rob
:)

frankbmd
05-17-2014, 07:26 PM
as usual i'm in the minority, but i always spell it "ya'll". A contraction of "ya" (slang for "you") and "all".

Is there a word where the first word is ever contracted? Its usually the second word ...
can not = canno't
we will = wewi'll
you are = youa're
etc

Rob
:)

There are also few, if any, contractions that utilize slang words such as ya.

By your definition ya're would seem more appropriate, ya think?

Oh well, I'm uh, sitting here la, la
Waiting for my ya, ya, a hm, ahm
Oh, sitting here la, la
Waiting for my ya, ya, uh

and I feel like singin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5LnpErE6f4

It's interesting that this song was written nearly 50 years before this Yaya hit the big time. Ya vol.

timzcardz
05-20-2014, 05:12 AM
I think it would be more helpful if you discussed the proper use of "y'all" versus the all inclusive "all y'all."

Just sayin'.

frankbmd
05-20-2014, 11:51 AM
I think it would be more helpful if you discussed the proper use of "y'all" versus the all inclusive "all y'all."

Just sayin'.

I can handle that one Tim.

A waiter at a fine southern eating establishment would ask a table of guests after their meal

Are y'all ready for some dessert? :)

The maitre d' seen leaving the same eating establishment might announce

All y'all ought to know there is a fire in the kitchen. :eek:

drcy
05-21-2014, 01:23 PM
For those linguistically inclined, this is what my mom's side of the family speak: Wikipedia: Yooper dialect (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yooper_dialect)

That's what my maternal first cousins, aunt and uncle speak, and what my grandmother spoke. And, as the article says, it can be difficult to understand at first.

05-28-2014, 07:35 AM
For those linguistically inclined, this is what my mom's side of the family speak: Wikipedia: Yooper dialect (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yooper_dialect)

That's what my maternal first cousins, aunt and uncle speak, and what my grandmother spoke. And, as the article says, it can be difficult to understand at first.

That was a surprisingly entertaining read. What did we do before Wikipedia?

the 'stache
06-10-2014, 11:17 PM
I tend to make people nuts when I talk. I was born in Milwaukee, raised in Waukesha, WI, and moved to Texas in 1989.

So, when I say something like "do y'all have a bubbler I can get a drink of water from?", invariably, somebody is confused.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
06-11-2014, 07:27 AM
What is this bubbler you speak of?

the 'stache
06-11-2014, 08:26 AM
It's a water fountain. The ones you see at the doctor's office, or in high schools, or stadiums, etc. In Wisconsin, we call them bubblers.

We call soda pop. There are others. Those are the ones I remember off the top of my head. It's been nearly 25 years since I've lived there.

Oh, and in Texas, any soda is called a Coke. Even a Pepsi, or a Dr. Pepper, which is made in Texas, I do believe.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
06-13-2014, 10:08 AM
It's a water fountain. The ones you see at the doctor's office, or in high schools, or stadiums, etc. In Wisconsin, we call them bubblers.

We call soda pop. There are others. Those are the ones I remember off the top of my head. It's been nearly 25 years since I've lived there.

Oh, and in Texas, any soda is called a Coke. Even a Pepsi, or a Dr. Pepper, which is made in Texas, I do believe.

I didn't know people in Texas called soda, pop. I have never heard someone say bubbler. I would have had no idea what the person was looking for.