PDA

View Full Version : PayPal 30 cent, or percentage, refund charge.

Brian Van Horn
05-15-2014, 11:03 AM
Apparently, PayPal now has a 30 cent refund charge.

glchen
05-15-2014, 11:15 AM
They've had this for a few years already at least for eBay sales.

Brian Van Horn
05-15-2014, 12:22 PM
Ridiculous.

nebboy
05-15-2014, 01:48 PM
Sorry - I don't see where a company charging for their service of what the do, is a bad thing. If I were CEO if PayPal where would be no friend and family free transaction. It just leads to to many people trying to get aways with what is really ripping off a company to save themselfs 1 1/2% on each usage.

Option-
John Hanssen

Peter_Spaeth
05-15-2014, 01:56 PM
My God, what next.

chipperhank44
05-15-2014, 02:02 PM
Sorry - I don't see where a company charging for their service of what the do, is a bad thing. If I were CEO if PayPal where would be no friend and family free transaction. It just leads to to many people trying to get aways with what is really ripping off a company to save themselfs 1 1/2% on each usage.

Option-
John Hanssen

+1

If you require an additional transaction that is not the fault of Paypal, you should have to pay for the additional service.

Section103
05-15-2014, 02:10 PM
Its a courtesy and one I think they should continue. It creates goodwill for both users of the service. I have no issue with doing away with F&F transfers; that seemed like a bad idea from the beginning. A courtesy transaction for setting the using parties whole, seems like a much better idea.

savedfrommyspokes
05-15-2014, 05:05 PM
I sell on ebay, and I constantly have buyers who send payments w/o waiting for their invoice and subsequently overpay in s/h. So, at least once a day I send a refund back for excess s/h paid. After reading this thread, and realizing how often I provide refunds for excess s/h via paypal, I double checked my paypal account for this 30 cent charge....I am not seeing it.

Here is the most recent refund I did (for $3)......

Date Type Status Details Gross Fee Net
May 15, 2014 Refund Completed ... -$3.00 USD $0.06 USD -$2.94 USD

Total amount:
-$3.00 USD
Fee amount:
$0.06 USD
Net amount:
-$2.94 USD

There is a fee amount of 0.06, which is subtracted from the refund amount of $3. Thus, I am only sending out $2.94 from of my account and paypal is sending the remaining 6 cents to the buyer(as a reimbursement to me for the original PP 2.2% fee).

So, if PP is charging 30 cents for each refund, where is this 30 cent debit showing up in my account?

What can be confusing is that when a PP transaction is completely refunded by a seller, the 30 cent PP transaction fee is not refunded...thus the seller is out that 30 cents. This has been the case with full refunds for years.

Brian Van Horn
05-15-2014, 05:48 PM
savedfrommyspokes,

My fault. Mine was a percentage like yours, just on a larger transaction. What ticks me off is that they have no problem shuttling the money to you, but if there is an error, whoops!, ding you the seller for making it right.

savedfrommyspokes
05-15-2014, 05:54 PM
Brian, PP is not charging you, they are essentially crediting you. The 6 cents in my refund transaction is staying in my account and PP is covering that 6 cents(as reimbursement to me for the PP fees already paid as part of the original payment). More simply, I am only covering $2.94 of the $3 refund, PP the rest.

Brian Van Horn
05-15-2014, 06:05 PM
No. There was an original charge of $3.94 in the transaction. I refunded the person the money. PayPal refunded $3.64 and hijacked the other 30 cents.

savedfrommyspokes
05-15-2014, 06:14 PM
Brian, that is correct...PP does not refund the original 30 cent transaction fee, just the remainder of the percent they collect. PP is not charging for the refund, they are just not refunding the transaction fee from the original payment. This has been this way for years.

Brian Van Horn
05-15-2014, 06:15 PM
The charge stated refund fee.

HRBAKER
05-15-2014, 07:00 PM

Option-
John Hanssen

What John? You mean you don't work for free?

glchen
05-15-2014, 07:01 PM
That's correct. If you only do a partial refund, you are not charged the 30 cent fee (assuming there is more than 30 cents left after the refund). However, if you do a full refund, then you are charged the 30 cent fee. I have noticed there are a few times when I am not charged this fee even when doing the full refund, and I believe it is when I do the full refund the same day that the buyer paid for the item. (This happened a couple of times when I realized that I had already sold the item, and then mistakenly re-listed it again when it sold again. :p)

Brian Van Horn
05-15-2014, 07:03 PM
That's correct. If you only do a partial refund, you are not charged the 30 cent fee (assuming there is more than 30 cents left after the refund). However, if you do a full refund, then you are charged the 30 cent fee. I have noticed there are a few times when I am not charged this fee even when doing the full refund, and I believe it is when I do the full refund the same day that the buyer paid for the item. (This happened a couple of times when I realized that I had already sold the item, and then mistakenly re-listed it again when it sold again. :p)

Thank you.

Mikehealer
05-15-2014, 07:37 PM
This has to be one of the most informative threads ever on Net54. May be a sticky candidate.

Peter_Spaeth
05-15-2014, 07:54 PM
This has to be one of the most informative threads ever on Net54. May be a sticky candidate.

D'accord.

calvindog
05-15-2014, 08:26 PM
Thirty cents?

Brian Van Horn
05-15-2014, 09:35 PM
Thirty cents?

It's the principle of the matter.