PDA

View Full Version : E102 (Set of Twenty Five) Dougherty missing red pass?

Leon
05-14-2014, 10:32 AM
We have spoken about this before but as I was putting it into my collection I looked closer at it. I think last time it was determined that the different color might be attributed to whatever it is that is staining the back. However, with it in hand I don't think that is the case. I think it might be missing a red color pass. Thoughts?...

http://luckeycards.com/pe102dougherty.jpg

http://luckeycards.com/e102doughertycomparo.jpg

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
05-14-2014, 10:37 AM
The colors don't look that vivid. Could it be UV bleaching?

Sent using Tapatalk

Leon
05-14-2014, 10:48 AM
The colors don't look that vivid. Could it be UV bleaching?

Sent using Tapatalk

Could be but then I would think other parts would be more off, in color. I added a regular card too for comparison

Luke
05-14-2014, 11:01 AM
Looks to me like an example of glue on the back dulling red on the front. But you're more knowledgeable than I am, and you have it in hand...

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
05-14-2014, 11:03 AM
Could be but then I would think other parts would be more off, in color. I added a regular card too for comparison

I think it may be UV damage. If you look at the black on your card it appears have a tinge of blue. This looks pretty uniform throughout the card.

Sent using Tapatalk

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
05-14-2014, 11:04 AM
Looks to me like an example of glue on the back dulling red on the front. But you're more knowledgeable than I am, and you have it in hand...

Luke - I have heard several people mention this happening. Can you educate me on how this occurs?

Sent using Tapatalk

sebie43
05-14-2014, 11:24 AM
His lack of a rosy cheek is very interesting. I doubt UV as I think it would affect all of the colors somewhat evenly.

obcmac
05-14-2014, 11:43 AM
If it is stained, it's not a legitimate color variation/missing pass. That goes double for missing reds. That's the rule I follow for my own collection.

Mac

bnorth
05-14-2014, 11:47 AM
His lack of a rosy cheek is very interesting. I doubt UV as I think it would affect all of the colors somewhat evenly.

I do not know about this type of card but UV light does affect different colors differently. Certain years cards it is possible to completely fade one color off a card with no fading to the other colors.

My guess is also UV damage because the color change is so uniform.

Leon
05-14-2014, 01:59 PM
If it is stained, it's not a legitimate color variation/missing pass. That goes double for missing reds. That's the rule I follow for my own collection.

Mac

I have seen quite a few different kinds of stains, chemicals and so forth. I dunno for sure but it still looks like it's missing a red color pass to me. If the stain on back was causing the color issue on the front then the other front colors would have been affected, I would think. Also, the point about the missing red in the cheek area is true too. I had my mind made up the color variation was from the back issue, but the more I look(ed) at it the more I thought it is just missing an ink pass. I am not ascribing any extra value to it but I believe it's a missing color card. I could be wrong of course...

and I have to add that I agree with Mac....I am very skeptical of red variations. It seems to be the most volatile color besides black.