PDA

View Full Version : Mantle photo help

hcv123
05-13-2014, 05:59 PM
Trying to figure out what this is/where it was from. It is 8 x 10. On thin photo stock and is glossy. Blank backed. Any help?

Bestdj777
05-13-2014, 06:52 PM
I did some looking around, and I believe it is possible this was produced by Moss Photo Company. I've seen two examples of this exact photo. The first, posted below, is one I picked up in Leon's last auction. Note that the name is in similar font but it located in a slightly different position. It does, however, have a line identifying it at the bottom. The second photo does not belong to me, but a fellow board member shared it when I posted mine in a pickup thread. It is identical to yours in every way with the exception of the copyright script. I know mine is 8x10 and believe the second one is as well. Given the similarity, I would say there is a good chance they were produced by the same company. However, this photo is really popular and was used in other issues like the 51 Wheaties Premium Photo, so I cannot say for certain.

http://www.b-lauctions.com/ItemImages/000005/5567a_lg.jpeg

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=184247&page=3

Bestdj777
05-13-2014, 09:56 PM
http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/2042957/view/MANTLEBIGPIC_NEW.JPG

pawpawdiv9
05-14-2014, 08:01 AM
HAHA.. i replied to this post on the memoribilla side.
I provided link to our 51 wheaties discussion and the 2 pics that would help.
The other was by (Frozen in Time) and this pic that Bestdjj provided.

hcv123
05-15-2014, 12:14 PM
What did the one sell for in Leon's auction?

pawpawdiv9
05-15-2014, 12:58 PM
What did the one sell for in Leon's auction?

http://www.b-lauctions.com/8-x-10-Mickey-Mantle-Moss-Photo-Service-Paper-Li-LOT5567.aspx

AustinMike
05-15-2014, 07:37 PM
I have a similar photo. Chris, it is like your first one without the notation at the bottom. The photo I have was included with a team issued set of 12 photos. I believe they are from 1953 based on the other players in the set. I've attempted to upload an attachment with the photo. Sorry about the quality of the photo of the photo, I took it with my phone since I do not have a flatbed scanner.

AustinMike
04-03-2015, 09:22 AM
I've gotten a couple more Mantle photos using the same image. The first photo has a facsimile auto in the lower right corner. It was probably a premium of some sort. The second photo was obtained on eBay. The third photo is the back of the second photo. It indicates it is a Don Wingfield photo taken on 10/2/52 at Ebbets Field at the '52 World Series. The eBay auction description said this is a Type 2 photo. The top loader it came in has a Heritage Auction auction sticker on the back indicating is was lot #81866 from auction #7120. I did a search for that and couldn't find it. If anyone can find it, it may have a more complete description.

brian1961
04-04-2015, 11:42 AM
This has been a most fascinating thread to me. It confirms what I have long suspected about a certain set.

Given that the elegant and regal posed photograph of Mickey Mantle was snapped by Donald W. Wingfield of The Sporting News on October 2, 1952, this was prior to the second game of the great 1952 World Series. This contest was held at Ebbets Field, and saw the Bombers clobber the Bums, 7 to 1. Mickey went 3 for 5.

Naturally, since Don was taking pictures for the illustrious Sporting News for their World Series coverage, the publication was creating up-to-the-minute photographs. Mickey is obviously wearing his 1952 road gray uniform, and the uniform also naturally does not have the 1951 patch trumpeting the 50th anniversary of the American League.

Now, why the uniform does not have the patch representing the 50th anniversary of the New York Yankees organization, this I could not say and would like to know.

Be that as it may, the photograph hails from the 1952 World Series. Among the obvious conclusions and/or repercussions of the research of this photo is that the 1951 Wheaties premium set is either an outright fake produced by enthusiasts in the 1970s; or, in perhaps more probability, the earliest date for the Wheaties premium set would of a certainty be 1953.

I'm not trying to stir up trouble, mind you. However, the date of the photograph presents some glaring concrete evidence.

What are your thoughts and reactions, collecting compadres? --Brian Powell

pawpawdiv9
04-04-2015, 01:41 PM
Re-hashing the Wheaties thing again. Here some more stuff from 2013 when we discussed the dating of it and evidence.
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=175675&highlight=wheaties

AustinMike
04-04-2015, 03:16 PM
Be that as it may, the photograph hails from the 1952 World Series. Among the obvious conclusions and/or repercussions of the research of this photo is that the 1951 Wheaties premium set is either an outright fake produced by enthusiasts in the 1970s; or, in perhaps more probability, the earliest date for the Wheaties premium set would of a certainty be 1953.
--Brian Powell

Brian, I agree with you 100%. The "1951" Wheaties is not from 1951. Now if we can just get PSA to change their labels. :D

Chris, thanks for posting the link to that thread. I remember reading it when it first ran. What I didn't realize until now is that the photo I recently acquired with the '52 date on the back was posted in that thread.

brian1961
04-04-2015, 03:48 PM
My thanks to you as well, Chris, for providing the link to the 2013 discussion. I must not have been visiting the Net54 chat boards at that time, because I have no recollection of that interesting thread.

Now as to whether the exact date of the photo is October 2nd or 6th, I would like that pinned down. Mickey had a terrific day on the 2nd, but the 6th of October was game 6, in which he blasted a key home run against the Brooks.

It was also during this World Series when the sixth and final series of the Topps banner 1952 set was being released to the public and beginning its impact on baseball card fans. The seemingly few who took the trouble to bother with the final series that Topps finally put on the market were in for a treat, weren't they?.......

No doubt about it, that's one regal pose of Mr. Mantle, taken at a very special time in his career. He was becoming the toast of the town in New York.:D ----Brian Powell

Yeah, Mike, if only PSA would read the evidence, make an intelligent decision, and cut "a special re-holder deal" for those who paid the piper handsomely to have their expensive, no doubt, Wheaties Premiums graded in the first place. I honestly feel for them.

pawpawdiv9
04-04-2015, 04:56 PM
I was gonna add these F&B pics of an original photo Type I, but still doesnt pin-point a date.

http://dyn2.heritagestatic.com/lf?set=path%5B1%2F2%2F3%2F7%2F8%2F12378751%5D%2Csi zedata%5B840x2000%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D
http://dyn2.heritagestatic.com/lf?set=path%5B1%2F2%2F3%2F7%2F8%2F12378748%5D%2Csi zedata%5B840x2000%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

And heres a description, from when it was at Goldin auction: http://goldinauctions.com/1952-Mickey-Mantle-World-Series-Original-Type-1-Do-LOT8720.aspx

Don Wingfield was the famed New York Yankee photographer, working for the Bronx Bombers as well as The Sporting News, the Washington Senators and the Topps Company. He also free-lanced work for national magazines such as LIFE and LOOK. His friendly nature and true professionalism endeared him to many players, who many years later would speak fondly of Don. During the 1952 World Series, Don was working the annual Yankee – Dodgers tilt for The Sporting News and snapped this photo of a young Mickey Mantle, an image later used for Mickey Mantle related cards including his very scarce “1951 Wheaties” issue. Our photo features Mantle in a batting pose taken before the 6th game of the 1952 World Series, a tightly contested game which saw the Yankees clinging to a 2-1 lead going into the top of the 8th inning, and behind in the Series 3 games to 2. Then Mantle connected on a Bill Loes pitch to give the Yankees a 3-1 lead, eventually winning the possible elimination game 3-2. Mantle also walked twice in the contest. Mickey would eventually hit the Game 7 go ahead home run a day later. The reverse has the desirable “PHOTO BY DON WINGFIELD” stamp with his address, and “Mickey Mantle” written THREE TIMES, one in black felt tip marker, one in blue ink and one in pencil. The stamp “00351” also appears. There is a “Hillerich & Bradsby, Inc.” stamp and handwritten “H&B 901”, indicating this exact photo was at one time part of the H&B Archives at the Louisville Slugger bat maker’s headquarters. To avoid any issue with ownership, this photo also comes with a Hillerich & Bradsby LOA, signed by John Hillerich IV and was part of their Louisville Slugger Museum Auction on November, 6, 2004. We can definitely date this photo to October 6, 1952. When researching the history of this photo, we came across a thread on a vintage sports website which the discussion centered on this image. One reader, who is well known as a Mantle photo enthusiast (claimed to have over 150 rookie Mantle images!), has a copy of this photo with same Don Wingfield photo stamp, but also the “OCT 6, 1952” date stamp. This makes sense, as the stadium background appears to be Ebbetts Field, the upper deck contains a few red-white-and-blue buntings, and Mantle is in his road gray jersey. Interestingly, while Mantle is clearly in his road grays, the scarce Wheaties card image of Mantle with this pose has airbrushed in Yankee pinstripes. The condition is fabulous, much better than you would expect from a photo which was likely well-handled. It contains some crinkling of the heavy gloss coating in several corners, and a crease in the upper left. None of these issues affect the pristine youthful appearance of one of the most charismatic baseball players of all time. The photo has been sent to PSA/DNA where their experts agreed it was a TYPE 1, Mickey Mantle Original Don Wingfield Photograph, circa 1950s, but our additional efforts have narrowed it down to a World Series turning home run game by Mantle. PSA/DNA has encapsulated this photo in their protective holder, issuing a certification number of 1P04862, with the corresponding numbered sticker affixed to the lower left corner on the reverse. How many of these actual period photos have you seen of Mantle offered on the market? Not many. We haven’t seen many offered for sale, either. This is one of the most iconic images of a young Mickey Mantle, taken on a day he literally changed the entire epic 1952 World Series, and would be one of the highlights of any vintage photo collection. PSA/DNA, Type 1 Original Photo, cert number 1P04862.

brian1961
04-04-2015, 05:27 PM
In a way, I feel kinda nuts for suggesting the exact date be found; in actuality, whittling down the time frame of the photograph to the 1952 World Series is so special in and of itself.

Some might think this is nuts, but I really wish Topps had taken better advantage of this picture for their 2006 Opening Day issue. What they achieved in colorizing the photo was average at best. Had they really taken the time, trouble, tender lovin' care and expense to give that image a jolly good effort at colorizing, with deep blue sky, while adding two medium-size puffy clouds for contrast. What I am thinking of was used to great effect on the 1952 Topps card of Yankees future World Series star, Johnny Mize. That card is perfection.

But you know, emerald grass field, and bring out the advertising signs in more high definition with the actual colors used, as well as the color of the seats of Ebbets Field at that time. It would probably take some good research, but it would make a dynamite colorized card. This next time Topps should do it in their orginal '52 size format, with a little less of those gargantuan white borders, and more of this extraordinary photo.

Just my five cents worth of consultant work!

This has been a swell thread. ---Brian Powell

pawpawdiv9
04-04-2015, 05:28 PM
@AustinMike: I also want to add the wherabouts possibly on the HA auction you provided- i could not find it in the archives, but found a auction dated 2012 here of it:

http://www.paragonauctionsite.com/lot-1869.aspx

Photograph of Mickey Mantle taken at the 1952 World Series, showing Mantle in his batting stance. Tape on three corners with the number "120" on the bottom right corner, handling marks and a crease in the upper right corner. Verso has glue residue with notation "World Series 1952-Ebbet Field-10/6/52-negative #4 Mickey Mantle, Yankee outfielder" applied with tape. Stamped "Photo by Donald W. Wingfield of The Sporting News" and with pencil notations. Provenance: The Sporting News Collection and John Rogers Photo Archives.

Further Notes:
The previous post i made with the Type I photo, i also found a auction site that listed it as 1955
http://www.paragonauctionsite.com/lot-791.aspx

AustinMike
04-06-2015, 07:39 AM
Chris,

Many thanks for the links! I only searched Heritage Auctions and didn't think to do a general search. It's interesting that the second auction lists it as circa 1955 even though the Letter of Provenance lists it as circa 1950s. I guess the auction house was going with the middle of the decade. Thanks again!