PDA

View Full Version : strip cards

baker85
05-13-2014, 04:04 PM
What is the value of the cut out strip cards? Do they have any value?

Bocabirdman
05-13-2014, 04:13 PM
What is the value of the cut out strip cards? Do they have any value?

More information is needed and some scans would help:)

baker85
05-13-2014, 04:23 PM
just in general. I don't really know much about the strip cards. I do own one but it was a purchase off a co worker of mine and I bought it blindly with no research. its from the set w516-1-2. I just have no idea what strip cards are worth from any set. I am just seeking some general information or advice. I am not asking for exact prices on particular cards, just general info.

I appreciate your help.

Bocabirdman
05-13-2014, 05:26 PM
just in general. I don't really know much about the strip cards. I do own one but it was a purchase off a co worker of mine and I bought it blindly with no research. its from the set w516-1-2. I just have no idea what strip cards are worth from any set. I am just seeking some general information or advice. I am not asking for exact prices on particular cards, just general info.

I appreciate your help.

They are worth SOMETHING. I wouldn't celebrate too much though. Unless it is a HOF guy (and there are some Big Dawgs in that set), assuming that is cut straight and is not creased to death, you MIGHT have a 12 pack of decent beer.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
05-13-2014, 05:28 PM
Which player?

Sent using Tapatalk

EvilKing00
05-13-2014, 06:45 PM
I love the ruths, and would like to add a cobb and jackson soon

rdwyer
05-13-2014, 07:08 PM
I find it odd that he knows it's a w516-1-2, but doesn't know anything about eBay.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
05-13-2014, 07:28 PM
I find it odd that he knows it's a w516-1-2, but doesn't know anything about eBay.

Hahaha I was thinking the same thing.

Sent using Tapatalk

baker85
05-14-2014, 06:26 AM
The smart ass comments are not necessary. Ebay is not the end all be all of gauging a cards value. I only know what my card is because its graded and its grover cleveland alexander.

If your going to be a dick, go else where.

Leon
05-14-2014, 06:55 AM
The smart ass comments are not necessary. Ebay is not the end all be all of gauging a cards value. I only know what my card is because its graded and its grover cleveland alexander.

Take it easy Hoss....They had a good point about knowing a technical designation but not much else. You need your full name by your post too, please. Nothing personal. Had you given all of the info (you have) in your first post then members would have been able to help you better. With strip cards it's all about how they look, more so than the grade. That being said there are some collectors that will pay a lot for a high grade one, which I personally think is silly since they can be re-cut anytime. As long as there is enough border some of the TPG companies (maybe all of them) will give them a number grade. From what you have said, and with knowing no more, your card is probably worth $30-$45, or in that range...in average nice condition.

h2oya311
05-14-2014, 07:04 AM
Here we go again! Let the show begin. It's gonna be a slow day at work anyway!!

baker85
05-14-2014, 07:06 AM
They did not have a good point. They provided nothing, just an insult.

The one poster was so clever he just repeated the guy before him.

Leon
05-14-2014, 07:09 AM

Ok, so we agree to disagree. Now please put your full name in your post.. thanks (since your last name is your user id, no big deal on the name)

joeadcock
05-14-2014, 07:40 AM
Brent

Most things said here are not meant to harm and I wouldn't take offense. The fact of the poster's comment doesn't make him what you said.

We are all just trying to learn and talk about cards, etc.

Better to let things slide off and ask the poster if he was meaning something adverse. They will usually answer no. Then we go on.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
05-14-2014, 07:45 AM

We were trying to get some information to help you out. It was ironic that you knew the technical designation of a card but had no idea about the price.

Sent using Tapatalk

ZachS
05-14-2014, 07:52 AM

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/a0/a0d66e6e61efd470c6ccd14e444be030b1fd356f0e2b33ed2e f9bbe224263506.jpg

ALR-bishop
05-14-2014, 08:07 AM
Although I think they are ugly, I have pursued a set of them. It is the only pre war set I have worked on and only because it was related to my goal of a complete run of Topps and Fleer baseball cards. I don't collect graded cards either, they just came that way

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj555/Bishop539/img075.jpg
http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj555/Bishop539/img076.jpg

baker85
05-14-2014, 08:15 AM
http://www.quickmeme.com/img/a0/a0d66e6e61efd470c6ccd14e444be030b1fd356f0e2b33ed2e f9bbe224263506.jpg

How did you get to be so clever?

-brent baker

ALR-bishop
05-14-2014, 08:49 AM
Is the card you have graded ? If not the SCD Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards gives some general pricing parameters, but they are not super reliable. If you want me to send you that info I could possibly do it in a pm

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
05-14-2014, 09:01 AM
Although I think they are ugly, I have pursued a set of them. It is the only pre war set I have worked on and only because it was related to my goal of a complete run of Topps and Fleer baseball cards. I don't collect graded cards either, they just came that way

Thanks for sharing. I never knew that there was a Fleer connection. How is the setting going?

Sent using Tapatalk

baker85
05-14-2014, 09:02 AM
It's graded authentic. It seems to me that most are graded authentic. I wasn't really looking for info on my one specific card, just general info. I don't even know if most collectors will collect them. They are not particularly great looking cards.

ALR-bishop
05-14-2014, 09:07 AM
SCD lists $30 ( vg) to $ 150 (NM) for Alexander. I can send you the checklist and associated SCD prices for the set if you like. It has a short write up on the set as well .

I agree they are hard to love

baker85
05-14-2014, 09:16 AM
Send it my way. I appreciate your help.

ALR-bishop
05-14-2014, 09:18 AM
Alex---very slow. Assuming there are a corresponding number of the 515s with Fleer advertising as are in the 'regular" set, I am only about 1/3 done. They do not pop up very often

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
05-14-2014, 09:18 AM
It's graded authentic. It seems to me that most are graded authentic. I wasn't really looking for info on my one specific card, just general info. I don't even know if most collectors will collect them. They are not particularly great looking cards.

They are not the best looking cards but the stars (such as Ruth) command premiums.

Sent using Tapatalk

steve B
05-14-2014, 10:26 AM
One of the reasons some people found it odd that you knew the set designation is that there are lots of strip card sets, and some come in multiple versions - Including some that aren't cataloged as different versions. Identifying strip cards takes a bit of looking through the books the first couple times.

As it's been said, most will grade as "A". The companies look for whatever they consider to be full borders, usually all or most of any dotted lines that were between cards.

They're somewhat challenging sets, even the small ones. Some are more challenging. Hardly any are considered good looking. I like them, but I'm not in the majority. When I started collecting they were pretty cheap when you found them, and I don't have many because somehow they're still stuck in my mind as being $2-5 cards, maybe 10 for a great player and a bit more for the really big names. That's changed as the in- career cards of the biggest names have gotten expensive.

As an aside, you may have noticed it's a pretty snarky crowd here. Don't take it personally, pretty much everyone would get the same sort of response. (The question was a bit vague....)

Steve B

Gobucsmagic74
05-14-2014, 11:45 AM

I think that was the difficulty most were having with your question. A common strip card, in good condition, may be worth nothing or next to nothing, where a star like Cobb, Hornsby, or Ruth could obviously have relatively high value (not unlike regular issue cards). Your question was a little broad is all I'm saying.

nolemmings
05-14-2014, 12:01 PM
Old Cardboard is a good place to start.

http://www.oldcardboard.com/cardSetList.asp?GroupID=4

TUM301
05-14-2014, 04:11 PM

ALR, that Ruth Fleer back card is awesome. They are very hard to come bye, I did see another Ruth/Fleer on ebay last week I think.

pencil1974
05-14-2014, 04:35 PM
Like Dan was saying these can get pretty expensive and as long as they have not been trimmed under their standard size they can a numerical grade. This is my latest one.

t206blogcom
05-14-2014, 06:55 PM
I've always thought strip cards were kinda neat, especially if you're a collector on a budget and/or wanting to inexpensively pick up some HOFs. I put together the W512 baseball series set (full disclosure - for sale in BST) because it contains some of the best to ever play the game and there are variations, which made collecting the set that much more fun. No, they're not considered beautiful cards and would never be ranked next to T206s, '52 Topps or whatever card series you consider to be attractive. But still neat in my opinion.

http://www.t206blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/W512-Baseball-Series-Final-Set-SGC-Graded-Web.jpg