PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think?

GrayGhost
05-13-2014, 11:14 AM
I got this piece a while back, and I LOVE IT. Its a RECEIPT for Christy Mathewson rations. I showed it to Dave presale shop on here, and to a couple friends and they are of mixed opinions as to whether the "Christ. Mathewson" on here was originally written in Matty's hand?

To me, Id say no, but some of the letter formation resembles. For comparison, my items vs the Matty check just sold in REA

frankbmd
05-13-2014, 11:25 AM
Wouldn't the receipt be more likely to be the writing of Harlow Young?

I cannot recall ever filling out my own receipt and then have someone else sign it.

6-4-3memorabilia
05-13-2014, 11:34 AM
even if not Mattys sig I still think its a cool item connected to him.

Leon
05-13-2014, 11:40 AM
As an educated layperson I would say no.....but I am not on the same level as regular autograph collectors in deeming authenticity...

GrayGhost
05-13-2014, 11:42 AM
Wouldn't the receipt be more likely to be the writing of Harlow Young?

I cannot recall ever filling out my own receipt and then have someone else sign it.

That makes sense sir. Its just curious they seem pretty similar, esp if u compare Harlow young's signature down below, as to say the letter formation, and they don't match up too well.

Yeah, I love the item, one of the coolest things I have

packs
05-13-2014, 11:43 AM
I wouldn't think so but I'm no expert. Just wanted to note that the distinctive C that he uses was more common in his time than it is now. Even Cy Young's C is a similar C. I think it was probably how everyone was taught to write then.

mschwade
05-13-2014, 12:17 PM
I got this piece a while back, and I LOVE IT. Its a RECEIPT for Christy Mathewson rations. I showed it to Dave presale shop on here, and to a couple friends and they are of mixed opinions as to whether the "Christ. Mathewson" on here was originally written in Matty's hand?

To me, Id say no, but some of the letter formation resembles. For comparison, my items vs the Matty check just sold in REA

No, I don't believe this to be his signature... Very neat items nonetheless. Keep in mind, people took a lot of pride in their handwriting back then and it is was a skill that was concentrated on during school (Reading, Writing, Arithmetic) and generally taught the same way... Therefore, handwriting didn't have a great variance back then from person-to-person because of this.

Like I said, neat item though!

GrayGhost
05-13-2014, 12:49 PM
Thanks for e'thing guys. Net54 comes through again!:)

6-4-3memorabilia
05-13-2014, 01:12 PM
No, I don't believe this to be his signature... Very neat items nonetheless. Keep in mind, people took a lot of pride in their handwriting back then and it is was a skill that was concentrated on during school (Reading, Writing, Arithmetic) and generally taught the same way... Therefore, handwriting didn't have a great variance back then from person-to-person because of this.

Like I said, neat item though!

100% correct. I don't even write in cursive anymore except when signing my name. I don't think I have in 10 years or so. Prob don't even remember how to. Not to long about I was looking at my grandfathers old autograph book from when he was in high school and it was amazing what handwriting these 18 year olds had in 1939. We are in a different world today

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
05-13-2014, 01:37 PM
Looking at the "son" portion of the names they appear to be different. On the signed check they are connected but on the ration portion there is a space between the s and o.

Deertick
05-13-2014, 02:54 PM
Authentic. Unless:
A) Harlow Young filled out the check for Matty, or
B) Matty filled out everything on the receipt except his name.

GrayGhost
05-13-2014, 03:03 PM
:eek:Authentic. Unless:
A) Harlow Young filled out the check for Matty, or
B) Matty filled out everything on the receipt except his name.

:confused::confused:

Deertick
05-13-2014, 03:08 PM
:eek:

:confused::confused:

Compare the other writing on the check to that of the receipt. Consider the situations in which both were written and the difference in age. (Edit: Also the size of the medium. I assume the receipt is about 1/2 the size of the check, no?) If the signatures were not there, would you not consider them to be in the same hand? If so, whose hand would it be other than Matty?

packs
05-13-2014, 03:41 PM
It's a receipt though. I've never filled out a receipt for something. It is always provided by the vendor.

In other words, the receipt is showing that the Army received money from Mathewson. The Army would fill the receipt saying it received X amount from Person Y. And Person Y would retain that receipt as proof that he had submitted the funds.

At least that seems like the most likely scenario to me.

mschwade
05-13-2014, 04:57 PM
Christy Mathewson has a very unique s in Mathewson. Go look at any authentic Mathewson. This is not his signature.

RichardSimon
05-13-2014, 06:52 PM
Matt is correct, that is not Mathewson's sig.

GrayGhost
05-13-2014, 07:08 PM
thank you all for your input. Just wanted to be sure. Im old and feeble and needed my eyes to be verified:)

Deertick
05-13-2014, 07:10 PM
From a military document a year prior. Not so unique as others. There is a subtle but distinct difference between filling in your name and signing something. IMO.
Although I agree that it would not be common for someone to fill out his own receipt, it is not impossible. I am using the logic that if he filled out other portions, that combined with the overall similarity of his signature leans toward it being in his hand.

Looking at handwritten letters, the similarities and tendencies are very similar to the other portions of this document. This is where I formed my opinion. The word that may have be most useful is "seventy" if anyone cares to research.
FWIW, I went into this looking to prove it wasn't Matty. I took the same approach when Shale posted an A's lineup card that turns out was filled in by Jimmie Foxx.