PDA

View Full Version : Dodgers Minor League Spring Training Flannel Jersey

Dc8288
05-12-2014, 09:26 AM
After doing research I found out that this may be a jersey used by someone during the Dodgers Minor League Spring Training in 1960 and that the letter on the front identifies which level of the minor leagues a player was at. I believe the jersey looks used because belt waist down on the jersey is very clean and the upper half has seen some use.(don't know if you can tell because of lighting) I have no idea if it is rare, game used or worn by a important player during that time. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

6-4-3memorabilia
05-12-2014, 09:53 AM
A lot of times after a season the teams would donate their jerseys to local teams for them to use in their leagues. It is very possible that this was actually a LA Dodgers MLB jersey that they donated it to the community for them to use and the "W" was added later.

perezfan
05-12-2014, 11:43 AM
The number "3" on the back appears original. There is no #3 listed on the Dodgers' 1960 Roster, so it was likely an unused Jersey or one from Spring Training (from a player who failed to make the team).

If it was a rostered Player, there would likely be evidence of an embroidered name in the area of the tail tagging. So it's probably just an extra Jersey that was not utilized during the regular season.

Still a very neat and attractive Flannel :D

6-4-3memorabilia
05-12-2014, 11:48 AM
The number "3" on the back appears original. There is no #3 listed on the Dodgers' 1960 Roster, so it was likely an unused Jersey or one from Spring Training (from a player who failed to make the team).

If it was a rostered Player, there would likely be evidence of an embroidered name in the area of the tail tagging. So it's probably just an extra Jersey that was not utilized during the regular season.

Still a very neat and attractive Flannel :D

It is very cool, also I noticed after my post that it says "Hall of Fame" on it, I don't think MLB teams would have used a jersey with the "Hall of Fame" written on the tag. Maybe it was bought at the HOF gift shop?

Dc8288
05-12-2014, 11:51 AM
We thought the jersey may have been "linked" to Willie Davis because of the #3 but he wasn't on the roster until 1961.

6-4-3memorabilia
05-12-2014, 11:55 AM
We thought the jersey may have been "linked" to Willie Davis because of the #3 but he wasn't on the roster until 1961.

its just a mystery. I personally don't think it was from a player that played at Spring Training and didn't make the team because usually the Spring Training guys where jerseys with High Numbers, they do at least today, maybe it was different in 1960. It still could be a Davis Jersey, maybe its just a jersey from the minors in 1960 and that's what he wore

jerseygary
05-12-2014, 11:56 AM
There's an article from a 1960 Spokane Daily Chronicle sports page that deciphers the letter code on Dodgers jerseys:

A - Montreal
B - Spokane
C - St. Paul
E - Atlanta
H - Macon
N - Green Bay
S - Great Falls
T - Reno
W - Kokomo, Panama City, Orland and Odessa

Dc8288
05-12-2014, 11:58 AM
I think if it was offered at the HOF gift shop I would have been able to find the jersey a lot easier or some similar. Like I posted earlier it took some time researching just to figure out what the jersey may be and the meaning of the giant letter sewn to the front. I have personally never seen anything like it.

6-4-3memorabilia
05-12-2014, 12:01 PM
There's an article from a 1960 Spokane Daily Chronicle sports page that deciphers the letter code on Dodgers jerseys:

A - Montreal
B - Spokane
C - St. Paul
E - Atlanta
H - Macon
N - Green Bay
S - Great Falls
T - Reno
W - Kokomo, Panama City, Orland and Odessa

JerseyGary might have something here

accidental
05-12-2014, 02:01 PM
It is very cool, also I noticed after my post that it says "Hall of Fame" on it, I don't think MLB teams would have used a jersey with the "Hall of Fame" written on the tag. Maybe it was bought at the HOF gift shop?

That was just a marketing thing, Rawlings called its flannel "Hall of Fame Flannel". This kind of tagging was also used in the majors.

6-4-3memorabilia
05-12-2014, 02:07 PM
That was just a marketing thing, Rawlings called its flannel "Hall of Fame Flannel". This kind of tagging was also used in the majors.

Learn something new everyday. That's why I love this site. Had no idea that was done with the HOF logo

packs
05-12-2014, 02:23 PM
Very cool. Nice find! Could be a coach maybe? Like you said low numbers aren't usually given to no-names.

perezfan
05-12-2014, 04:36 PM
Great point... could've been a Coach's Jersey. There's a website that lists all of the coaches by team by year, but I don't have time to research.

Definitely a professional model jersey... The Dodgers used McAuliffe, Spalding and Rawlings Hall of Fame Flannels in the early-to-mid sixties.

Dave Grob
05-12-2014, 06:20 PM
According to the Rawlings Roundup; 1952 Volume 4,(Internal company trade publication), Rawlings began tesing this new fabric in May of that year with sample uniforms provided to select local Browns and Cardinals players.

v/r
Dave Grob
DaveGrob1@aol.com

accidental
05-13-2014, 03:58 AM
According to the Rawlings Roundup; 1952 Volume 4,(Internal company trade publication), Rawlings began tesing this new fabric in May of that year with sample uniforms provided to select local Browns and Cardinals players.

v/r
Dave Grob
DaveGrob1@aol.com

Thanks for the insight Dave.

Nashvol
05-13-2014, 04:58 AM
I believe jerseygary has this one right. Here's another article from uni-watch.com: http://www.uni-watch.com/2011/05/27/uni-watch-history-mystery-red-letter-day-revisited/

Dave Grob
05-13-2014, 04:47 PM
What is interesting to note about the Rawlings naming convention (Hall of Fame) is that Wilson was referring to their top of the line fabric as "Cooperstown quality" at this time. This Wilson fabric was made in a 4 1/2" blend for jerseys and 6oz blend for pants that was 25% nylon and 75% wool.

The source of this information is a period Wilson baseball flannel swatch book in my reference library.

v/r
Dave Grob
DaveGrob1@aol.com

baseball tourist
05-13-2014, 05:44 PM
Interesting find and great research work from the board members. Did you have to pay much for it? I love coming across flannels (found 3 in used clothing stores over the years)

Dc8288
05-13-2014, 06:06 PM
Thank you to all those who have helped contribute and relay information through this thread about the jersey. I greatly appreciate it.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
05-14-2014, 09:16 AM
It's a great jersey regardless of its origin.

Sent using Tapatalk