PDA

View Full Version : Happy Mother's Day!

familytoad
05-11-2014, 09:55 AM
Here's to Mom on her special day!

To the Moms who threw away our old baseball cards.:(
To the Moms who didn't.:D
To the Moms who bought us packs when we were young.:)
To the Moms who wonder why we are still collecting kids cards all these years later;)

And to the Moms who have passed into heaven or the Moms who we'll spend time with today... here's to a wonderful Mother's Day!!!

I lost my Mom less than 3 months ago and I am still hurting from it. Today is the first Mother's Day in 51 years that I won't talk to her.
I love you Mom!

Bestdj777
05-12-2014, 09:16 PM
I am very sorry for your loss and hope the memories kept you happy on Mother's Day.

familytoad
05-13-2014, 11:17 PM
Thanks Chris!

My mom was one who didn't throw out my cards so all those early 70's sets that I have are dedicated to her:D

When I was 9, I would get paid my weekly allowance plus a pack or two of 1971 Topps Football from Mom. Priceless!

Eventually this led to one of my odd collecting habits . As some here know , I am collecting 14 sets of 1971 Topps FB:o

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
05-14-2014, 10:42 AM
Why 14 sets?

Sent using Tapatalk

Bestdj777
05-14-2014, 05:38 PM
Hi Brian,

It sounds like she was an awesome mom. My mom is the reason for my collecting habits as well. She always spoke fondly of the Mantle cards she had growing up, which led to my Mantle Master Set chase. I'm curious as to the 14 sets as well? Any significance?

familytoad
05-14-2014, 11:22 PM
Well guys, I have stopped (so far) at 14 sets because I have each set in binders in this configuration:
Sets 1&2 are in the same binder, First set , numbers 1 to 263 , then next start , 1-263 again.

Then I found myself with hundreds of more dupes and liked the look of a binder that has 3 across the 9 pocket sheet of the same guy, three guys to a page, so the whole book will hold 3 sets. That makes 5 sets.

Next i got a 5 inch binder and decided to put 9 of the same guy on each page.
That still took two big binders, 263 pages but looks even cooler. I have pictures somewhere...

Basically, i loved these cards as a kid as I mentioned. I started buying lot after lot on eBay...i had maybe a thousand from my childhood years and then thousands more I gathered in my nostalgic grab from the net. I have hundreds more (and 37 of my favorite Jim Kiick) so I might get some more sets going some day:o

So these are cheap (i like low grade cards just fine) and are the cards that started my lifelong obsession...why not?:rolleyes: