PDA

View Full Version : Reporting Fraudulent Listing Practices on eBay, e.g., Shill Bidding

scotgreb
05-10-2014, 02:51 PM
I had a long discussion with eBay recently with respect to fraudulent listing practices, especially within the consignor/consignee relationship.

While this might be well-known to some of you, there is a fairly automated way to bring an item to eBay's attention where you suspect that fraud is happening.

From within the listing, toward the right center of the screen, simply click on "Report item". This takes you to a series of drop-down boxes.

I was told to use the following series of choices to report suspected shill bidding:

Report Category = Listing practices
Reason for Report = Fraudulent listing activities
Detailed Reason = Seller is using other accounts to inflate item price
The remainder is pretty self explanatory

I was also told, if additional details are relevant, to follow with a call to customer service and they will manually add supporting information to the report.

I was assured that each report is reviewed by their fraud team (to what extent is anyone's guess).

Scott

jbbama
05-10-2014, 08:23 PM
I do this frequently. However , i think it has very little impact because frankly, they do not care and they are all about the fees, period.

Brian Van Horn
05-10-2014, 08:46 PM
I even went so far during a call to point out a bidder's retraction rate with a seller to an eBay representative. It was like pouring water on a rock.

auggiedoggy
05-12-2014, 12:56 PM
I even went so far during a call to point out a bidder's retraction rate with a seller to an eBay representative. It was like pouring water on a rock.

The eBay rep was just being a good employee and towing the company line ...

T206Collector
05-12-2014, 02:50 PM

Republicaninmass
05-12-2014, 02:52 PM
what about buyers emailing sellers to end early?

CMIZ5290
05-12-2014, 04:19 PM

+1 big time. Ebay could care less.....