PDA

View Full Version : BVG grading

Vintagevault13
05-10-2014, 07:53 AM
Let me start out by stating that I don't currently own any graded cards nor have I ever submitted a card to a TPG. I am, however, considering submitting a few of my higher-end cards from 1952-56 sets. From reading threads on the post and pre-war forums, I am well-aware of the PSA vs. SGC arguments. I don't see much discussion about BVG. Why is this? What are your thoughts about BVG for 50's cards?

Thanks,

Ed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pawpawdiv9
05-10-2014, 08:51 AM
I like to know as well.
The only good thing i heard is their cases seem to be more difficult from the 'crackers' out there.
For some reason, they dont fetch the $$ as PSA does, so bargins can be had it seems. I snatched a BVG2 51 Bowman Mantle.
The only bad part was when they did the BCCG stuff. If i remember i got a ton of those from those Tri-Star boxes (but they were football)

4reals
05-10-2014, 05:30 PM
IMO the resale value differs mostly because of psa's set registries. If your motive in grading is to eventually sell your cards for the HSV (highest resale value) then grade with PSA. If your intention is not to sell but rather to buy, then do what I do and buy BVG which will reward you with just as nice of a card but half the people challenging you for it at auction. As others have said, they are indeed more difficult to crack out of the holder but not impossible, so buying a BVG card, freeing it, and submitting it with PSA is a strategy many use in flipping cards for profit. Another thing I've notice with BVG grading is that they aren't as afraid of issuing half grades and do so more frequently than PSA (can't say for SGC). I also use this to my advantage when buying because the difference from an 8 to a 7.5 in price might be 15-25% yet on many occasions I can't see the difference in quality from one to the next. I will often drop a half grade in my search to save a buck and I'm just as happy. But as the 'ol adage goes, "it's wiser to buy the card than it is to buy the holder".

brewing
05-10-2014, 08:59 PM
My experience has been easy grades with BVG. Typically anything I crack and resubmit to SGC comes back with 1 full grade lower. Never have had anything get bumped up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mintacular
05-14-2014, 08:14 AM
Not a fan of BVG for pre-80s cards, I feel like they lack consistency. If you ever have to resale would be tougher than if in SGC/PSA slab unless it is a major star like Mantle.

In short, I lack confidence in BVG grading. Go with PSA or SGC.