PDA

View Full Version : Authentic or Fake Ruth RPPC

deadballpaul
05-08-2014, 08:05 AM
My question is do you think the Ruth RPPC is from the 1920's (as the stamp box would indicate) or a reprint that is not from that era? I know there was a previous thread about a different Ruth RPPC, & there was some doubt about a portrait Ruth in that thread, that I have attached. I bought the postcard from a board member about 5 years ago, & the recent thread about Ruth RPPCs got me motivated to send it to SGC. They would not grade it, & the response I got from Sean at SGC was the following- "I just spoke to Bob Luce, Senior Grader. He said that he has a suspicion that the card may not be from that era based on the look and feel of the card. And we could not confirm the date". I now tend to agree based on some Net54 feedback & SGCs opinion, but would like a larger sample size from the numerous experts on N54. Also, is 5 years too long to get a refund or store credit in your opinion if a time frame for refunds was not stipulated? The seller is not returning my emails, but I do see him active on eBay (at least I think it is him). Your opinions will be greatly appreciated. I have owned a ton of prewar postcards, but very few real photo postcards, so I lack the expertise on them at this time. I suppose buying a huge lot of pre 1930 postcards on the cheap would be a good start in determining the proper look & feel of the paper. I will get around to that sometime soon :) Thank you!

Bicem
05-08-2014, 08:11 AM
Agreed with SGC in that it was produced much later than 1930's, as for the 5 year refund, that's a tough one. I could see a legit argument for both sides of that coin.

ullmandds
05-08-2014, 08:12 AM
i believe these were determined to be fake? no?

ullmandds
05-08-2014, 08:13 AM
not period is what I should have said.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
05-08-2014, 12:54 PM
In my opinion 5 years is too long to request a refund unless you can prove that the seller knew it was not as old as you thought.

deadballpaul
05-09-2014, 06:30 AM
Thanks for replies :)

joeadcock
05-09-2014, 08:40 AM
In my opinion 5 years is too long to request a refund unless you can prove that the seller knew it was not as old as you thought.

Long time but does not remove the personal responsibility of the seller if the card was mirepresented initially.

Obviously, there is no statue of limitation on honest product representation. Of course, the seller may have thought it was real then which would then be his error in judgement.

Not likely the expected norm to refund in such as case as this of such a time lag.

He also has the expectation that it is the same product that he sold to you way back. Which could be hard to prove simply after so long. Though could be done.

Either way, you could ask and see what he says.

deadballpaul
05-09-2014, 10:12 AM
Thanks Joe. I have asked, but not getting any response.

Leon
05-11-2014, 04:47 PM
I personally would give a life long guarantee on authenticity but can't hold all sellers to that standard. IF he knew it had potential issues on the front end and didn't mention them, then he should be liable, imo. If he didn't, and sold it in good faith, then my opinion is it has been a bit too long to expect a return. It would be great if he took one after this long though.

deadballpaul
05-14-2014, 03:59 PM
Heck, I would feel better about it if he just replied to my emails.