PDA

View Full Version : Removing a label

brooklynbaseball
05-05-2014, 09:38 AM
Does anyone here have any experience, or can suggest how to remove the label pictured from this card. After taking it out of the slab of course. Thank you in advance.

brooklynbaseball
05-05-2014, 12:39 PM
Nobody? Hair dryer? Don't try it? It's an expensive card and I'd hate to ruin it.

Stonepony
05-05-2014, 12:52 PM
There's no magic to it. When you split open the case, the label will pretty much just fall out... like the card itself. I like HOF plaques in SGC holders.

Stonepony
05-05-2014, 12:57 PM
Oops, oh that label! ? Try Goo b gone

Jayworld
05-05-2014, 01:03 PM
It looks like a label generated by one of those label hand-held machines; if so, the adhesive will be a bear to get off. Proceed with caution. Hair dryer would be the first thing I would try; it is very useful in removing price tags, such as on boxes and cardboard stock. As a former toy/action figure collector, using a hair dryer to remove old price tags tended to work very well…. Not sure I would try Goo Gone, as it may leave a staining residue on the surface of the card….

brooklynbaseball
05-05-2014, 01:46 PM
Thanks very much guys, I'm pretty nervous about trying it. Appreciate the input.

ZachS
05-05-2014, 02:01 PM
I would probably buy a cheap, unsigned HOF postcard on ebay and play around with it. That label was made by one of those older punch-type label makers (the kind where you turn the wheel to a letter and pull the trigger... I have one in my desk). I would stick some labels to the test PC and see what happens during removal.

From my experience with those older labels they're fairly easy to remove (especially as they get older) but sometimes they leave behind residue. Usually the adhesive on those isn't strong enough where it's going to rip off the paper when the label comes off... but like I said, it will probably leave behind some residue.

ETA - I would definitely try the heat gun/hair dryer first as recommended by the other posters.

Jim65
05-05-2014, 02:02 PM
If it were mine, I would leave it alone.

ZachS
05-05-2014, 02:11 PM
If it were mine, I would leave it alone.

I agree. I'd leave it slabbed just like it is.

If I absolutely HAD to remove the label I would definitely test all methods on a cheap PC first though.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
05-05-2014, 03:26 PM
I would leave it alone.

Luke
05-05-2014, 03:34 PM
I would also leave it alone. And if I was a buyer, I wouldn't pay more for it with the label gone and a discolored residue left behind. But, if it's just for your collection and you don't like the label, I would suggest Zach's idea.