PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Ruth Golf Photo...

yanksfan09
05-04-2014, 03:38 PM
Just picked this old original news photo of Ruth on the golf course. It appears to maybe be Miami area, I believe he golfed there somewhat regularly. I believe it's early 30's era?

I'm not at all an expert on old photos and determining the type, whether type 1 or 2 etc...

Curious what the vintage photo experts and Ruth experts thought on this. I bought it to maybe get framed with my signed check someday. Wanted some kind of unique vintage Ruth photo to go with the check and really liked the image on this. Anyone know what kind of Type/generation?

Also if anyone can pinpoint location and year of image, any info appreciated.

Thanks....

Scott Garner
05-04-2014, 03:54 PM
Erick,
Just one thought...
The Big Bam looks pretty lean for the 1930's. Perhaps it is earlier?
I would agree that this appears to be shot in Miami, FL.

I'm not sure if everyone knows what a good golfer Ruth really was. He won his club championship in NY multiple times, FWIW.

yanksfan09
05-04-2014, 04:05 PM
Yea now that you say it, he does. Maybe it is mid-late 20's?

I've read that he was a pretty accomplished golfer. I'm sure he could have been pro if he had done that instead his whole life. I know he was very passionate about the sport.

yanksfan09
05-04-2014, 04:27 PM
looking for Ruth golf images online I saw this one with a 1925 date. Not sure if that date is totally accurate but my Ruth photo appears to depict a slimmer Ruth than that. I'm really not sure when to date it....

thecatspajamas
05-04-2014, 04:36 PM
The back stamping dates to the 1925-1930 period, according to what's presented in Yee/Fogel's book.

yanksfan09
05-04-2014, 05:19 PM
Thanks for that info. Would that make this a Type 1?

I also found this other image after doing more Ruth Golf image searching:
It appears to be possibly same day, definitely same place. Caption on back according to this site says it's Jungle Country Club in St. Petersburg.

http://www.corbisimages.com/stock-photo/rights-managed/U84674ACME/babe-ruth-playing-golf

YankeeFan
05-04-2014, 06:15 PM
"Possibly same day"...I agree.

The guy in the background of your photo looks like the same guy in the middle of the three in the background of the Corbis images photo you found in your images search.
Possibly he was Ruth's caddie that day, he appears to be next to a golf bag in your photo, and carrying one in the other.

billyb
05-04-2014, 07:30 PM
Going thru some old information on a Ruth collection I researched, he did golf at St. Petersburg in 1928, but I believe that was one of his favorite spots. So researching the year may help. Sorry I don't have a copy of that photo.

mybestbretts
05-04-2014, 07:48 PM
I think I have seen the hotel in the background many times. It is in really
bad repair now and maybe a bank disclosure.

mybestbretts
05-04-2014, 07:52 PM
I think it is in the Jungle district of St. Petersburg.

HRBAKER
05-04-2014, 07:56 PM
Is it the Don Cesar?
That was the Yankees Spring Training residence in the early 30's.

yanksfan09
05-04-2014, 08:14 PM
I think it is in the Jungle district of St. Petersburg.

That would match up with the Corbis image caption. Sounds like the consensus is around 1925-30 roughly.

" The back stamping dates to the 1925-1930 period, according to what's presented in Yee/Fogel's book."

Does this make it a type 1 I'm assuming? I don't totally get how to differentiate between the generations of photos.

"The guy in the background of your photo looks like the same guy in the middle of the three in the background of the Corbis images photo you found in your images search.
Possibly he was Ruth's caddie that day, he appears to be next to a golf bag in your photo, and carrying one in the other."

I agree it looks like the same guy, but in one photo he has dark/black pants and the other one shows lighter pants (same suit top and hat though) However, Ruth appears to be in exact same outfit at same place. Possibly it was a different guy in the background or maybe multiple caddies/ crew were in background in similar attire that day. Or Ruth golfed there over the course of multiple days in that golf trip?

thecatspajamas
05-04-2014, 10:16 PM
" The back stamping dates to the 1925-1930 period, according to what's presented in Yee/Fogel's book."

Does this make it a type 1 I'm assuming? I don't totally get how to differentiate between the generations of photos.

Well, that's the thing, a photo's "Type" designation is assigned based on whether it is from the original negative AND when the print was produced in relation to when the photo was taken. Looking at the photos you posted, I would say that it very much appears to be Original (a print produced from the original negative) unless holding it in hand reveals something that I'm not seeing in the photos. Since there are no other dating elements that I can see on the print itself other than the news service stamping, whether it is a definitive Type 1 depends on when it was shot, as the Type 1 designation requires that the photo be printed from the original negative within 2 years of when it was shot. So if you are able to nail down the date to 1928 (for example only, as I have no idea when it was actually shot), then I think you could make a strong case for it being a Type 1 as that stamping still seems to have fallen into disuse after 1930. If it was shot in 1925, it could still be a Type 1, but you wouldn't know if the print was produced in 1925-1927 (making it a Type 1) or 1928-30 (making it a Type 2 on a technicality). That's why, in cases like this, I personally tend to just refer to it as "Original" and leave it at that unless I had a way to find out the date. That's the engineer in me not wanting to argue about gray areas and always erring on the side of caution. I would have made a terrible lawyer.

yanksfan09
05-05-2014, 04:44 AM
Well, that's the thing, a photo's "Type" designation is assigned based on whether it is from the original negative AND when the print was produced in relation to when the photo was taken. Looking at the photos you posted, I would say that it very much appears to be Original (a print produced from the original negative) unless holding it in hand reveals something that I'm not seeing in the photos. Since there are no other dating elements that I can see on the print itself other than the news service stamping, whether it is a definitive Type 1 depends on when it was shot, as the Type 1 designation requires that the photo be printed from the original negative within 2 years of when it was shot. So if you are able to nail down the date to 1928 (for example only, as I have no idea when it was actually shot), then I think you could make a strong case for it being a Type 1 as that stamping still seems to have fallen into disuse after 1930. If it was shot in 1925, it could still be a Type 1, but you wouldn't know if the print was produced in 1925-1927 (making it a Type 1) or 1928-30 (making it a Type 2 on a technicality). That's why, in cases like this, I personally tend to just refer to it as "Original" and leave it at that unless I had a way to find out the date. That's the engineer in me not wanting to argue about gray areas and always erring on the side of caution. I would have made a terrible lawyer.

Thanks a lot. Very helpful information there. I was mainly just wondering approximate date of printing and it being that old is great to me whether a type 1 or 2. I have a lot to learn when it comes to vintage photos. I'm definitely way more of a card guy but can see myself buying the occasional original vintage photo for display pieces in the future.

GrayGhost
05-05-2014, 05:02 AM
Ty Warming up for once of his matches w the Bambinooooo:)

yanksfan09
05-05-2014, 10:31 AM
nice Cobb photo

aelefson
05-05-2014, 08:20 PM
I would agree on the 1920s just based on Ruth's body. Below is a 1931 image (he has definitely added some padding), also of him golfing.

Alan

yanksfan09
05-06-2014, 06:19 AM
Yea Ruth definitely looks a little puffier there. Looks like same place again. It must of been one of his most frequented golf courses I'm assuming.