PDA

View Full Version : 1978 RC Cola Basketball Card Questions

aelefson
05-03-2014, 02:06 PM
Hi-
I recently acquired the three RC Cola Basketball cards scanned below. What is a typical price for a common from this set? How about a star? I ask because I was surprised when searching online to discover only a handful of examples, and those were priced at 50+ dollars for a common. I assumed all RC Cola items were relatively easy to find and always cheap. Please show some examples if you have them!
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com

steve B
05-03-2014, 08:31 PM
I'm not sure about pricing, but neither form of the cards have never been easy.(Hang tag like yours, or the taller ones ) I paid what was a pretty steep price at the time for the couple I have. Of course that was before basketball cards took off.

Most RC stuff isn't tough, or if it is it's not expensive when you find it.
The ones I think are tough, in order form toughest to least

The basketball cards
The football can poster
The basketball cans
The colts cans
Maybe the iron ons.

Except for the variety below the rest is pretty easy. All you need is the patience and space for 275+cans.

And one variety
the 77 cans labeled "khosher for Passover" on the top. As far as I know only done at the New Rochelle, NY plant and only very early in the season. I have a few, but don't see them often at all.

I have 77 complete, football about 75%, 78 either complete or nearly complete. A few basketball cans, and some of the colts cans as flats. And examples of the iron ons and Basketball cards

Somehow I'm thinking there's a can set I missed but I don't remember exactly what it is. Some regional like the Colts cans?

Steve B

aelefson
05-04-2014, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the information Steve! I always assumed all of the RC stuff was cheap an easy to find. It is good to know there are some arities to look out for.
Alan

rjackson44
05-05-2014, 09:45 AM
those are not easy stars can sell between 100 and 150 ,,I have one somewhere:) pretty cards

aelefson
05-05-2014, 06:51 PM
Thanks Octavio! That is great to hear about the star pricing. I am really glad these were thrown into the lot I bought.

Alan

Vintage Basketball Pat
05-07-2014, 07:45 PM
Hi Alan...hope all is well.

I agree with the other answers you've received. I think a common @ $60 is on track. You will find that there are only certain cards to be found. I've only heard of one complete set...and you rarely see any of these cards of either variety. I think I have a combined 6 or 8 cards.

Best regards,

Pat