PDA

View Full Version : Exposing an eBay Reprint Listing is One Thing...

Bocabirdman
05-03-2014, 04:36 AM
Many of us here have exposed eBay listings of reprints being sold as original cards. We have put the word out, at the least, alerting and educating fellow board members. More than a few times, we have even succeeded in getting the listings removed, either by informing the seller of his mistake or reporting them to eBay. That is the easy part. My question is whether or not anyone here has ever successfully won or bought a card that was listed as a reprint by a stand-up seller who wasn't sure, because you correctly identified the card as the real deal? That would take balls of brass based on a scan. Saying it is a reprint and not buying it is one thing. Saying, correctly, that it is not a reprint, when it is being offered as one and laying out the cash, is another. Any brass balls on the board?:D I have come close but never pulled the trigger.:eek::)

frankbmd
05-03-2014, 05:58 AM
I wake up this fine morning and the first two posts on the board greeting me concern brass balls and floppy TaTa's. Is this really the image we want to project to the lurkers? Lets upgrade this forum to a rotating flop house swiveling on high grade ball bearings. ;)

Bocabirdman
05-03-2014, 06:03 AM
I wake up this fine morning and the first two posts on the board greeting me concern brass balls and floppy TaTa's. Is this really the image we want to project to the lurkers? Lets upgrade this forum to a rotating flop house swiveling on high grade ball bearings. ;)
Don't forget to mention Kate Upton in a wet tee shirt on the " What card or set has kept your excitement for collecting going strong?" thread.:D

Wite3
05-03-2014, 08:12 AM
Frank,
Back in the glory days of ebay, I took several chances on cards with listings like "unknown" and "possible reprint". Back then, I actually had a saved search for "unknown" because people would list things that they knew nothing about or were unsure of. I bought a delong Klein listed as a "new gum card"...very happy when I got it and it was real.

Several w and e-cards came to me this way as well...

with better scans, more knowledgeable collectors, and more reprint sellers, I dont take the chance or the time to search and rarely see anything listed incorrectly as a reprint anymore.

joshua

auggiedoggy
05-03-2014, 08:14 AM
Don't forget to mention Kate Upton in a wet tee shirt on the " What card or set has kept your excitement for collecting going strong?" thread.:D

;)

Gobucsmagic74
05-03-2014, 08:28 AM

What page is that on again?

marcdelpercio
05-03-2014, 09:04 AM
I won this card on eBay, listed as a reprint, for $1.26. It was raw at the time, of course. The seller was former MLB player, Spook Jacobs, interestingly enough. Apparently he was a collector, but for some reason identified this one as a reprint. Good scan and everything (better than mine :) )...I was shocked that there were not more bids.

earlywynnfan
05-03-2014, 09:10 AM

OK, am I the only one who went over to that thread just now??

D. Bergin
05-03-2014, 09:33 AM
Frank,
Back in the glory days of ebay, I took several chances on cards with listings like "unknown" and "possible reprint". Back then, I actually had a saved search for "unknown" because people would list things that they knew nothing about or were unsure of. I bought a delong Klein listed as a "new gum card"...very happy when I got it and it was real.

Several w and e-cards came to me this way as well...

with better scans, more knowledgeable collectors, and more reprint sellers, I dont take the chance or the time to search and rarely see anything listed incorrectly as a reprint anymore.

joshua

Yup, those were the days. I picked up a lot of about 15 Fan Craze cards, including several HOF'ers, for a song back in the day, listed as unknown playing cards.

Been a long while since stuff like that was possible for me.

Bocabirdman
05-03-2014, 11:33 AM
OK, am I the only one who went over to that thread just now??

No, just the only one to return:)

steve B
05-03-2014, 07:43 PM
I've had some good luck on Ebay. Not necessarily cards, but I did have a few good buys on odd listings.

Pretty beat George C Miller that was listed as "old baseball card" And described as "maybe from the 30's?" Yes, that was the whole description. And I was the only bidder :D

Recently, a T206 listed as trimmed that almost certainly isn't. It's short, but the edges seem factory, and it's VG with no odd wear, just typically rounded corners.

Now with bicycles and stamps I've done very well spotting stuff that's been listed very poorly, often as a BIN.

A batch of bike parts that showed three parts, but said in the listing pumphead(235)each dropout set(50) each etc, So I asked if it was just what was shown, or if it was actually 235 of one part and 50 of the other. The answer - Yes, 235 of one, 50 of another, plus some other stuff and a few partial dropout sets. All for I think 250 BIN and 25 shipping. About 3-4K retail.

The stuff I've picked up for my collection has been more fun though. And I'm often the only bidder.

Steve B