PDA

View Full Version : old bat question

1880nonsports
05-02-2014, 10:39 PM
no it's not about my wife. Thanks Bobby as I glossed over that. Anyone with an idea on value and if 1880's is reasonable?

http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7105&lotNo=83061

bobbvc
05-02-2014, 10:51 PM
It's a Spalding. Pretty sure it was used as a bat. Somewhere.

khkco4bls
05-03-2014, 08:08 AM
Yes 1880s. And right now reasonable. Unusual bottle neck

1880nonsports
05-03-2014, 09:13 AM
ballpark value range?

murphusa
05-03-2014, 09:31 AM
Similar one in BST section for $350

perezfan
05-03-2014, 10:20 AM
The Spalding in Heritage could go for more than double that amount. The other is a generic Bat and does not have the barrel chatacteristic.

ksfarmboy
05-03-2014, 10:43 AM
The brown ringed Spalding bats are some of the earliest produced by the company. This is a pretty rare bat and the 2nd I've seen like this. Condition looks to be pretty nice. In the past the brown ringed bats have brought in the $3000-$4000 range in similar condition. The longer than 35" and the unique tapering make this a special bat if you are in the market for a truly early ring bat.

murphusa
05-03-2014, 11:05 AM
The Spalding in Heritage could go for more than double that amount. The other is a generic Bat and does not have the barrel chatacteristic.

The original poster was asking for a value etc on the auction bat. From his question I got the impression he was looking for a period bat. Was new to equipment from the period and was maybe looking to supplement a collection with something from the time. The other bat fit that where the spalding costs you

perezfan
05-03-2014, 12:30 PM
OK... I interpreted it a bit differently. Just thought he was looking for an estimate on its age and expected price. Not a lot of comparable exemplars to compare this one to (both in terms of style and condition). So there's a potentially wide variance for the final price.

We probably should hold off on further speculation until this auction concludes :rolleyes:

MGHPro
05-03-2014, 08:01 PM
Whats everyone opinion.. Was the Spalding bat factory made that way or done afterwards?
Matt

khkco4bls
05-04-2014, 07:18 AM
Does that model appear in a catalogue.

perezfan
05-04-2014, 01:42 PM
If 1880s is really accurate, it may be hard to find a Catalogue with that image. JD's website has some wonderful old catalogues in its Library archives. Will check to see if they go back that far...

1880nonsports
05-04-2014, 02:43 PM
if I somehow posted an inappropriate "outing" thread given that it is about a bat in a current auction. On our sister side it is pretty much acceptable to legitimately question and explore a lot listing in a major auction house. I don't own it - don't know who does - have no axe to grind with the seller - not associated with the AH in any way - just trying to learn from them what's gots the know-how.
Looking for thoughts as I want to include a nice example of an early bat with my stuff. I thought this was a good candidate for me as it has a great look and isn't just some run of the mill generic early bat - I feel the Spalding stamping makes it a little more special, giving it an air of legitimacy. It's important to me that my bat be 1880's or earlier. I know little about bats other than what I've gleaned from a couple of my equipment reference books - I will be re-visiting them later today. Curious why the stamping might not be legitimate?
Thanks to all who have responded so far. Hope to hear more thoughts. I've learned a good deal here - I've tried to contribute where I can to make it a reciprocal arrangement - looking forward to whatever might be added to this thread as I ponder the acquisition. If it isn't to be THIS bat - likely it will be something similar. Knowledge is power. If you have a beautiful early bat at a price the majority of informed collectors would agree was fair - I suppose I'm listening - unless that too is against the rules - in which case my fingers are in my ears...... :rolleyes:

khkco4bls
05-04-2014, 03:10 PM
To me 1880s to 1890. Looks orig. To me .typical stamping for the time period. The thing that throws me is the bottle shape

perezfan
05-04-2014, 05:45 PM
I also think the stampings look original (perfect, actually). Very well preserved, and apparently never touched up. I also think the bottle shape is legit. There is a very similar bat in the Smithsonian Baseball book. If memory serves, they call it a "Springform" Bat, or something similar.

I also have a similar "Bottle" bat of that same vintage, which I will try to post later tonight.

MGHPro
05-04-2014, 06:05 PM
Sorry for the confusion - the stampings are fine. I was referring to the bottle shape .
Matt

1880nonsports
05-04-2014, 07:56 PM
about the stamping. Apparently a couple posts relative to whether or not Spalding manufactured a bottle bat at that time. Curious as to the how and why one would alter a manufactured bat? If the story was interesting enough the alteration might not preclude me from bidding or seeking such a bat - I assume the price-point would be significantly lower - but I've been patient up to now and so far happy to wait for something original and unaltered that fits what my mind's eye sees as the right one. A while back someone posted an unreal early presentation bat - I want one with that look - but not the significance of the presentation as I'm no whale.

WWGjohn
05-05-2014, 06:05 AM
This looks very much like what is referred to as a "spring handle" bat. They were experimental models, mostly from the 1890's to early 1900's. I've seen a Reach model and a Hillerich model, but not a Spalding.

John

perezfan
05-05-2014, 11:39 AM
That's right...

Rare style Spring Handle bat is pictured below, in Smithsonian Baseball Book. The one pictured is a Reach.

Also posting a pic of my example. There is no brand name, but it features a Gothic "C" on the barrel, identical to the pre-TOC logo of the Cincinnati Reds.

http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/704/Cincinnati_Reds/1890/Primary_Logo

1880nonsports
05-17-2014, 04:54 PM
I looked in the the 3 equipment books I have without specific success. If I'm synthesizing correctly - it's a circa 1890 - 1900 original used spalding bat with original stamping worth 500.-800. as a retail price?

edited to add - neat bat with the Cincinnati logo - thanks for sharing.

1880nonsports
05-17-2014, 10:03 PM
I'll look for something a little earlier and perhaps a bit more generic. Obviously has some importance as perceived by the marketplace - something I don't want to pay extra for as the aesthetics after it's authenticity and era are probably most important for my plan. Still great looking and thanks for sharing your thoughts....