PDA

View Full Version : SGC or PSA

Tomman1961
05-02-2014, 06:09 PM
I'm sure it has been discussed but never needed to read. May I hear opinions comparing SGC or PSA grading service for Baseball cards.

pawpawdiv9
05-03-2014, 01:17 PM
SGC, better apperances, especially on older cards. Better service.
PSA usually good for re-sale, less stricter on grades. Far bettter for registry.
Beckett...seems to be best for not cracking slabs.

K-Nole
05-04-2014, 06:30 AM
110% Agree with pawpaw's run down.

To me, it is like this...

SGC is for the collector. If you are looking to have a card graded, or want to buy a graded card for your collection, and have no interest in selling.

PSA is for the investor. If you are looking to have a card graded, or want to buy a graded card, with selling it down the road in a few years.

jhs5120
05-04-2014, 11:59 AM
A good rule of thumb:

If you will never sell your cards and your children will never sell your cards and your grandchildren will never sell your cards and so on, then go with SGC. Cards can be had cheaper and they look pretty.

the 'stache
05-06-2014, 11:16 PM
I would echo the above sentiment.

I think PSA-graded cards will generally sell for more because of the registry.

I, however, happen to prefer SGC. I like the way they grade cards. That's not to say that PSA does a poor job at all, I just prefer SGC from personal experience. I don't even know if I could put a finger on it. It's just after looking at so many SGC-graded vintage cards, and so many PSA-graded cards over the last year or more, I think SGC's cards, taken as a whole, are graded slightly more accurately.

And, I cannot speak yet for SGC's service as I have not yet submitted to them, but I just love their slabs. Cards really pop with that black gasket. I do hope that they revamp their holder so it's more like the new PSA one, and the Becket one. It would be nice buying a card with that extra peace of mind.

That being said, if I see a card graded by PSA, SGC, or Beckett vintage, I will buy it. The company slabbing is never ultimately the deciding factor. The card I see under the plastic is what stands out to me.