PDA

View Full Version : Cy Young cutout

aelefson
05-01-2014, 06:14 PM
Hi-
I am considering a trade with a friend of mine for an odd cutout of Cy Young that I was hoping someone on the board might be able to identify. It is small and made of something similar to cardboard. It is blank backed. I am guessing it was cut from a program or a composite photo but I have not been able to find the same frame around the image (a very similar image was part of a 1903 composite photo and program).
Does anyone know what this was cut from? I checked the Cy Young day program as well and it is not in there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Alan

Duluth Eskimo
05-01-2014, 09:04 PM
Just a thought, but is it possibly the cover from an early notebook / paper pad?

Hal Kaplan
05-01-2014, 09:33 PM
This looks like a panel from a fold-out postcard. You should post this on the main board.

Hal Kaplan
05-01-2014, 09:34 PM
This looks like a panel from a fold-out postcard. You should post this on the main board, someone there who's familiar with PCs should be able to help.

Hal Kaplan
05-01-2014, 09:52 PM
Got it! It's a cutout from a 1908 Red Sox pop-out/foldout postcard. There is a picture of the postcard with the Young on page 15 of VCBC #3 (September 1995). The hole in the center of the left side is where a ribbon held the panels closed. According to the VCBC article, the postcard was made by H.N. Dickerman, and an example sold in the 1991 Sotheby's Copeland auction for $4,400.

aelefson
05-02-2014, 05:47 AM
Thank you Jason for the suggestion. I thought it might be that too but had never seen a notebook with that image.

Thank you Hal! I am amazed you found it! I will let my friend know what it is (and still try to work a trade).

Thanks again,
Alan

btcarfagno
05-02-2014, 05:58 AM
Hi-
I am considering a trade with a friend of mine for an odd cutout of Cy Young that I was hoping someone on the board might be able to identify. It is small and made of something similar to cardboard. It is blank backed. I am guessing it was cut from a program or a composite photo but I have not been able to find the same frame around the image (a very similar image was part of a 1903 composite photo and program).
Does anyone know what this was cut from? I checked the Cy Young day program as well and it is not in there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Alan

......and stop looking at the Mears auction. At least until Sunday anyway!

Tom C

Runscott
05-02-2014, 06:20 PM
Tom, what items are you interested in in the Mears auction? :)

btcarfagno
05-02-2014, 07:45 PM
Tom, what items are you interested in in the Mears auction? :)

Whatever I may or may not be interested in is trimmed. Or fake. So don't bid on it. :p

Tom C

aelefson
05-03-2014, 05:47 AM
I do not even know what is in Mears! I have the Cy Young day program myself, and used Google for all of the images I searched trying to find this particular version of Cy. With the amount of stuff available to me at antique shops, flea markets, and fellow collectors, I never have money or time left over for auctions! I hope you win what you want at the auction!
Alan