PDA

View Full Version : Why are so many T202 folded in the middle?

ullmandds
05-01-2014, 11:07 AM
Does anyone know why so many T202's seem to have been folded in half causing a disfiguring crease through the center of the center panel?

It seems that folding the end panels(as was intended I believe) would produce a similarly sized card as folding in half...why would anyone do this?

wolf441
05-01-2014, 11:10 AM
I've often thought the same thing. It's almost like guys kept them in their wallets with their cash.

Bocabirdman
05-01-2014, 11:14 AM
I've often thought the same thing. It's almost like guys kept them in their wallets with their cash.

I think that there would be noticeable edge damage from the wallet. I lean towards the shirt pocket, along with the cigs.

willworkforT206
05-01-2014, 11:36 AM
It's a mystery to me as well, but I think the idea was to fold the card into quarters rather than in half. If you fold in the end panels and then fold the card in half, you've reduced it down to a size similar to just one of the end panels (a quadruple folder?). Then you could more easily stack them with all your other tobacco baseball cards (T205, T206, T207, etc) and not have the odd sized T202s sticking out.

Just a guess. It makes me cringe just thinking about it!

Steve

wolf441
05-01-2014, 11:42 AM
How were the T202's issued? Were they actually placed in cigarette packages? They seem too big for packs, but they weren't mail away premiums..

freakhappy
05-01-2014, 11:44 AM
It seems to me that these types of cards were folded because they were stored more easily that way. I agree that they were most likely stashed in someone's wallet or pocket and therefore folded in half. Back in the day, most people didn't care about condition and such just as long as the picture was visible. I can only imagine carrying/stacking these oblong cards...they don't fit with the rest of them! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nolemmings
05-01-2014, 12:29 PM
I am sure this has been discussed elsewhere, but I have always wondered if the T202 panels were intended to be separated into three "cards". It seems odd that Hassan would have separate ads on each panel, three times saying the same thing--"Hassan Cork Tip Cigarettes"--as well as provide separate frames for each panel, unless they at least contemplated that the panels would be separated. I don't know what technology existed for providing perforations or if that would have been too costly, but the layout of the cards also seems conducive to separation (unlike t201s, which were best kept intact because the fold-able sections shared part of the same litho).

rhettyeakley
05-01-2014, 12:40 PM
Hassan packs are flat 10's and rather wide from side to side (unlike Piedmont/Sweet Caporal which came as two rows of 5 cigarettes and were relatively thin from side to side, the Hassan (and Mecca) packs however were much thinner overall--much like a cigarette case is. That being said the T202's were issued with the end panels folded over the card and placed in the package that way--no folding down the middle. The wider pack is the reason most Hassan/Mecca cards are larger-- like the T218 Athletes, T73 Indians, T118 Explorers, T53 Cowboys, T77 Lighthouses, etc.

As far as the center crease is concerned I think the simplest explanation is most likely correct. People saving these probably had saved the T206 and T205 cards and in order to store them all together they likely folded down the middle to make neat stacks. In vntage finds when you find T202's they are usually either all folded down the middle or mostly not folded-- likely just depending on the method of storage of the previous owner.

1880nonsports
05-01-2014, 02:18 PM
Hassan and Mecca putting triple fold cards into packs wasn't a new idea at the time. Duke had a couple different issues of "triple folders" inserted into their product (although not "clam shell" configurations) in the 1880's and before that there were some produced and collected under the category of mechanical trade cards. I'm with Rhett and others that most likely saved in one form or the other. The idea that one was supposed to seperate the panels due to the balanced advertising elements - is interesting but I just don't get there. Had a part of the panel been required to redeem something - I might feel differently. I think the thought might have been to make something interesting that would open up when taking the card from the pack - making for a wonderful SURPRISE moment when looking inside.....

wolf441
05-01-2014, 02:18 PM
Hassan packs are flat 10's and rather wide from side to side (unlike Piedmont/Sweet Caporal which came as two rows of 5 cigarettes and were relatively thin from side to side, the Hassan (and Mecca) packs however were much thinner overall--much like a cigarette case is. That being said the T202's were issued with the end panels folded over the card and placed in the package that way--no folding down the middle. The wider pack is the reason most Hassan/Mecca cards are larger-- like the T218 Athletes, T73 Indians, T118 Explorers, T53 Cowboys, T77 Lighthouses, etc.

As far as the center crease is concerned I think the simplest explanation is most likely correct. People saving these probably had saved the T206 and T205 cards and in order to store them all together they likely folded down the middle to make neat stacks. In vntage finds when you find T202's they are usually either all folded down the middle or mostly not folded-- likely just depending on the method of storage of the previous owner.

Great stuff Rhett! Thanks for the info :D

iwantitiwinit
05-01-2014, 04:40 PM
Folded into quarters definitely.

itjclarke
05-01-2014, 05:13 PM
I think a lot of them were folded, ends in as intended but over time, when handled, formed small little wrinkles at the mid-point. It just makes sense that if a T202 is bent at all, with ends folded in, it will give in the middle (forming a wrinkle) since that's the weakest point. I've got a lot of 2s-4s that look like 6s, but only have that tiny/minuscule wrinkle down the middle.

Also have the ones with a fat crease down the middle, so agree with others that some people just folded them down the middle.

Regardless, I love me some T202!! (and think they deserve more attention as little works or art/action shots, and great bios) This one just arrived in the mail, the last Matty I needed.

iwantitiwinit
05-01-2014, 07:15 PM
Really nice looking card.

Bridwell
05-02-2014, 10:25 AM
I agree with Ian. The design led to a weak point in the middle when the ends were folded in. Over the years, a tiny wrinkle in the center got worse and worse with handling.

the 'stache
05-02-2014, 12:08 PM
I think a lot of them were folded, ends in as intended but over time, when handled, formed small little wrinkles at the mid-point. It just makes sense that if a T202 is bent at all, with ends folded in, it will give in the middle (forming a wrinkle) since that's the weakest point. I've got a lot of 2s-4s that look like 6s, but only have that tiny/minuscule wrinkle down the middle.

Also have the ones with a fat crease down the middle, so agree with others that some people just folded them down the middle.

Regardless, I love me some T202!! (and think they deserve more attention as little works or art/action shots, and great bios) This one just arrived in the mail, the last Matty I needed.

Every time I see that card, Ian, I smile. Such a beauty.

Sterling Sports Auctions
08-08-2014, 01:01 AM
This question was brought up in another thread but thought it was more appropriate to address this thread on the center crease. Yes many of the T202s have center creases and the explanations here I believe are on spot, but there also are some T202s that have a center factory fold line (not a crease) that I have never been able to get an answer as to why the fold line is there. So there are T202s with center fold lines.

Lee