PDA

View Full Version : 1960 Topps Baseball Salesman Sample

divot
04-30-2014, 01:25 PM
I have seen several 1960 Topps Baseball Salesman Samples but not one other than the one that I own. It contains Dotterer, Gomez, and Bridges. I obtained it first-hand from a shop when I was a boy.

Griffins
04-30-2014, 05:49 PM
I have 2- a 3 card panel with Ford/Power/Purkey, and an 8 card panel with sales copy on the front.
IMO '60 is one of the scarcer salesman samples of the era-'59's are very easy, as are '61 thru the last ones in '67

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2012images/Item_22300_1.jpghttp://photos.imageevent.com/griffins/companionpieces/salesmansamples/salesmansamples/large/60Fronty.jpg

Cardboard Junkie
04-30-2014, 06:26 PM
Sweet!;)

bigfanNY
04-30-2014, 09:47 PM
This thread hit me hard. I have never owned a complete 1960 salesman sample but have owned this Brooks Robinson since at least 1974 so I agree 1960 is among hardest and 61 is the panel I have had the most of. So there is at least one more 1960 3 card panel with this Brooks at the top.
Jonathan

ALR-bishop
05-01-2014, 06:34 AM
Had a chance recently to see Anthony's ( Griffins) almost complete run of Topps and Bowman salesman samples in Phoenix. It is embarrassing how overwhelmed an old guy like me can get just by holding old pieces of cardboard in my hands. His salesman samples, and his unopened pack and display box collection always leave me in awe

divot
05-01-2014, 12:15 PM
I own a Topps 1960 panel with Dutch Dotterer, Ruben Gomez, and Rocky Bridges on the front and Jerry Lynch on the back behind Bridges. The usual "sales pitch" is written behind Dotterer and Gomez. I obtained the panel from the owner of a small grocery in Tennessee when I was a boy; I have had it ever since. (I also own a complete 1960 NM-class Topps set, which I have upgraded in recent years to improve centering and other issues). Although I have seen numerous examples of the 1960 8-card Salesman Sample and other 3-card panels, I have not come across another example of the "Dotterer, Gomez, Bridges" version. Can anyone shed any light on whether he/she has encountered this particular version and upon its relative scarcity or abundance?

I am having trouble scanning the panel (I'm new to Net54. The front and back of the panel are scanned into my computer in pdf format, but I cannot make the Net54 system upload the photos). Owning thousands of cards and being an active buyer over the past decade, I'm just about certain that my panel is EX+ or so. Although I have kept it in pretty good shape over the years, it has slight wear on one corner.

divot
05-13-2014, 09:14 AM
I posted a few days back, asking if anyone has ever seen this particular Salesman Sample from 1960, which I own? I was unable to upload a photo at the time, but now I can, so here it is: