PDA

View Full Version : Help with Gehrig and Cochane (2) Photos

koufax1fan
04-30-2014, 08:06 AM
Hello: I have a Lou Gehrig and Mickey Cochrane photograph that looks vintage to me, but the back is blank. There is a watermark on back of each image "Agfa" it appears twice. It is difficult to read but was hoping that might date each photo. The Gehrig is 5x7 and the Cochrane is 4x6. I greatly appreciate any help and information.

Hankphenom
04-30-2014, 10:29 AM
Not vintage.

drcy
04-30-2014, 11:14 AM
I can't see it, but if the 'afga' on back appears with no other word after it, the photos are not vintage. The afga-only wording was introduced in the 1950s. Before that, they would list the manufacturer name (afga) preceded by the particular paper brand's name (such as Portriga or Lupex)-- thus 'portriga afga' or 'lupex afga.'

GrayGhost
04-30-2014, 12:29 PM
They def don't look old to that period. Still, nice photos, just not super valuable.

thecatspajamas
04-30-2014, 02:51 PM
The Gehrig was shot by George Burke, but that print was not produced by Burke. It could possibly have been done by George Brace, but if so, I would expect to see a penned notation of the subject at the top of the back of the photo (not 100% had this, but most did).

Cochrane looks to be a 2nd generation print. Gehrig might be a restrike from the original negative, but 2nd generation wouldn't surprise me on it either. Tough to tell from the photos. Would have to look at the type of photo paper used to give a closer approximation of when they were produced (I don't currently have info for AGFA backstamping, but sounds like David does, and have no reason to doubt him). Regardless, neither looks like a period print, and while there would be some collectible value from someone not wanting a shiny modern print or a crappy desktop printjob, they won't be worth nearly what an original from-the-period print would be.

koufax1fan
04-30-2014, 04:06 PM
Thanks very much David, Lance, and Scott. All of you are always willing and able to provide anybody asking such great information! I really appreciate your time and expertise !
Phil