PDA

View Full Version : koufax opinion

theshleps
04-29-2014, 08:04 AM
Another awful slabbed Koufax. Is his signature getting worse at this age (tho I think I have seen nice ones signed in the past year) or is PSA hiring idiots to certify?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sandy-Koufax-signed-autographed-1955-topps-rookie-card-PSA-DNA-/301168178287?pt=US_Autographed_Trading_Cards&hash=item461f05b46f

tazdmb
04-29-2014, 08:23 AM
I have heard/seen that his IP signatures at Dodgers ST have been rushed and leave a lot to be desired compared to his "sit-down" autograph, where I imagine this has come from. There are masses of humanity pushing stuff in his face and he tries to be accommodating as possible by signing as much as possible in a short amount of time.

djson1
04-29-2014, 10:06 AM
Even so, I would personally stay away from this one. Even if it was rushed or authentic, why would you pay close to what a "nice" Koufax could go for? I don't know how PSA can slab things like this and assume it was rushed. :confused:

Scott Garner
04-29-2014, 10:13 AM
Even so, I would personally stay away from this one. Even if it was rushed or authentic, why would you pay close to what a "nice" Koufax could go for? I don't know how PSA can slab things like this and assume it was rushed. :confused:

+1

GrayGhost
04-29-2014, 10:16 AM
+1

+1 again

packs
04-29-2014, 11:44 AM
I think you guys just might not be used to in person signatures. I was at spring training this year and got this Koufax ball signed in person. When I posted it fellow members said they would have thought it wasn't authentic if I didn't say I got it signed myself.

He was surrounded by a mob. It's hard to take your time in that kind of environment. But it the most authentic Koufax signature I can attest to, having seen it signed before my eyes:

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m294/madjams/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps6dd6cce5.jpg

GrayGhost
04-29-2014, 12:22 PM
Yes, makes sense. But, nicer Sandy's are still out there too for those who want to buy one. Yours has a special meaning tho, which can never be taken away.

packs
04-29-2014, 12:26 PM
Definitely. I just wanted to point out that when he's signing in person (at least at Spring Training) it really is a mob scene and I don't think you'll see a nice one come out of it.

But that doesn't mean they aren't authentic.

GrayGhost
04-29-2014, 12:28 PM
Agreed for sure. He signs so rarely otherwise

Lordstan
04-29-2014, 02:29 PM
My concern is not so much about whether it's real, but more with how does PSA authenticate a signature that doesn't look like a usual signature without being at an in the person type set up?
PSA slabbed an auto that doesn't look like a Koufax signature. Why? If people can make up the "It's been in my family for years" and the "my grandfather got it in person" lies, why would anyone assume that the "I got it in person and he was mobbed/rushed" isn't also made up. It's one thing if one individual knows and trusts the person who got the autograph. In that instance you are putting your faith in your relationship and not just the look of the auto.

packs
04-29-2014, 02:34 PM
Definitely a valid concern. My only guess is that maybe PSA has had an influx of these types of signatures as of late from people who got them recently while he's been signing. So while it may not look like older signatures, it could resemble more recent examples.

That's just a guess though.

Lordstan
04-29-2014, 02:40 PM
That is a reasonable possibility.

khw
04-29-2014, 03:38 PM
only thing about this one is it is in a old label red holder they dont use anymore for just dna , that has to be maybe 7 years old? his signature as of late has changed , and that includes not rushed, that being said i wouldnt have bought this and if i sent it in wouldnt have been surprised if it failed

Drift
04-29-2014, 04:19 PM
Here is a neat reference guide to Mr Koufax's autograph through the years.
It seems PSA does archive and date the variations.

http://www.psacard.com/autographfacts/AutographDetail/25/sandy-koufax

tazdmb
04-29-2014, 06:13 PM
only thing about this one is it is in a old label red holder they dont use anymore for just dna , that has to be maybe 7 years old? his signature as of late has changed , and that includes not rushed, that being said i wouldnt have bought this and if i sent it in wouldnt have been surprised if it failed

Great catch! Yeah, I would stay away then.

theshleps
04-30-2014, 08:04 AM
Reason I started this- is it is the 4th Koufax I have seen like this. I have seen some of the spring training graphs come out very nicely since he is separated from the fans by a rope and more recently they have to wait in line where he is sitting. To me these are very suspicious- could be a rush IP but as others have said how can you tell. Could just be a bad forgery

theshleps
05-01-2014, 06:11 PM
here is another
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sandy-Koufax-1947-166-Exhibits-PSA-DNA-Certified-Auto-HOF-Dodgers-Vintage-/371021926146?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item5662a14f02

Mr. Zipper
05-02-2014, 06:54 AM
I have no opinion as to whether these are authentic or not, but in my view, it is a moot point.

For common autographs in good supply, I would advise against adding atypical or ugly examples to one's collection. It will always be questioned and/or worth less. Why pick the dented can when there are so many others on the shelf?

MooseDog
05-03-2014, 08:34 AM
I have no opinion as to whether these are authentic or not, but in my view, it is a moot point.

For common autographs in good supply, I would advise against adding atypical or ugly examples to one's collection. It will always be questioned and/or worth less. Why pick the dented can when there are so many others on the shelf?

+1 on this. A "mint" signature for an autograph collector is a nice, legible every letter visible example. Plenty of Koufax autos out there.