PDA

View Full Version : Magazine cutouts strikes again

pawpawdiv9
04-28-2014, 10:28 AM
I was browsing around to find something to spend my few Ebay bucks on and ran across this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-1954-ACE-Mickey-Mantle-Ace-graded-NMMT-8-5-by-Vintage-Sports-Authority-/301167075005?pt=Vintage_Sports_Memorabilia&hash=item461ef4debd
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/ODAwWDYwMA==/z/jGIAAOxyHIlTXXb2/$_57.JPG

Upon further bookwork, i found this 1954 How To Play Championship Baseball Instruction Book, in it has the exact photo it came from:
You can find the complete book on Ebay.
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTE1MFgxNjAw/z/kN8AAMXQfvlSesbi/$T2eC16JHJG0FJ47J887hBSesbi,O5w~~60_57.JPG

A lesson to learn, always do your homework first. I think theres other players out there like this graded by VSA.
BTW. i contacted the seller to include "that its a cut-out piece from this book'

h2oya311
04-28-2014, 03:06 PM
Thanks Chris -

Obviously, anything graded by any company other than PSA, SGC, BGS/BVG, or the former GAI should raise some huge red flags. The Nolan Ryan cutout graded by PSA was the first "cut-out" I had seen by one of the major TPGs. I still am surprised by this.

As for the example you showed here, I think it was evident that this was crap.

You can make up your own acronyms for the manny shoddy TPGs out there. In this case, VSA = "very suspect authenticity" or "value sucking attempt", as in, I am going to suck as much value out of this paper crap as I can.

bobbyw8469
04-28-2014, 03:26 PM
I predict PSA realizes their mistake with grading a newspaper clipping and will no longer continue to grade such a silly item.

brewing
04-28-2014, 03:38 PM
I predict PSA realizes their mistake with grading a newspaper clipping and will no longer continue to grade such a silly item.

I couldn't disagree more. I predict PSA sees the potential for more revenue and encourages this practice.

pawpawdiv9
04-28-2014, 05:34 PM
Thanks Chris -

Obviously, anything graded by any company other than PSA, SGC, BGS/BVG, or the former GAI should raise some huge red flags. The Nolan Ryan cutout graded by PSA was the first "cut-out" I had seen by one of the major TPGs. I still am surprised by this.

As for the example you showed here, I think it was evident that this was crap.

You can make up your own acronyms for the manny shoddy TPGs out there. In this case, VSA = "very suspect authenticity" or "value sucking attempt", as in, I am going to suck as much value out of this paper crap as I can.

Thanks for bringing that up again. :mad:As the winning buyer of that, I did was was able to re-sell it for a pretty decent profit. It must of been a PSA registry guy, i never did check if it was on the pop board to see if my #'s matched someone on it. It was a good lesson learned..Always do some homework and know what your bidding on. This is why when i saw this, i had to revive this to keep people informed.

pawpawdiv9
04-29-2014, 02:30 PM
I got a tad of info back from the seller.....Did anyone realize this catergory in Ebay???
He didnt say if he was revising his description, maybe trying to get a unsuspected card buyer

Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop>Vintage Sports Memorabilia>Paperstock, Cutouts

Harliduck
04-29-2014, 02:50 PM
Whoa...that's crazy. I still think it's sneaky...but wow.

Exhibitman
04-30-2014, 11:02 AM
The grading thing is a joke, obviously, but there are many who do collect clippings. Not so much in baseball but definitely in sports where there are relatively few cards during certain eras, like boxing, and also among nonsports paper collectors. There are even dealers at vintage paper fairs who have entire inventories of them. I don't have a problem with eBay creating a paper cutouts section; as I recall that is something that some people here have been advocating for years as a means of getting them out of the baseball card section. And to be fair, if you put it in the cutout section and someone thinks it is a baseball card, they are just being ignorant/greedy.