PDA

View Full Version : REA Winnings..... And losings.

Sean1125
04-27-2014, 08:36 AM
Won every Brown Hindu that I could see, lots of other T206's. HOLY COW lot 379. I got SPANKED. Had a 20k bid placed and it ended at 30k! What did you guys win?

MattyC
04-27-2014, 08:39 AM
Why don't you change the title to "...And Losers Thread." I whiffed on the e90-2 Wagner and the D304 Cobb sailed past my max late in the game. The Cobb Back went apeshit, as did the Ruth-- but those were kind of expected.

bobbyw8469
04-27-2014, 08:44 AM
The lone lot I bid on went for a stupid high amount. None of the cards were particularly rare, and you could have piece-mealed it on Ebay for a WHOLE lot less money. I think some of the bidders get caught up in the "REA" auction fever, and all sanity goes out the window. Probably cause they send you a pretty slick, color catalog in the mail for FREE the size of the old Sears catalogs!

scotgreb
04-27-2014, 08:48 AM
Just the Hilton Smith for me . . .

Got close on a few of the T206 lots but no luck.

If anyone here won the T207 lot, please shoot me a PM.

Scott

pencil1974
04-27-2014, 08:55 AM
I know who I am consigning with in the fall, the prices I saw were crazy and way above anyone else I have consigned with before. So here I come REA. lol

Great pick ups Sean.

atx840
04-27-2014, 08:58 AM
Congrats. If anyone won the 1785 T206 OM/EPDG lot I would be interested in a few.

chernieto
04-27-2014, 09:08 AM
The lone lot I bid on went for a stupid high amount. None of the cards were particularly rare, and you could have piece-mealed it on Ebay for a WHOLE lot less money. I think some of the bidders get caught up in the "REA" auction fever, and all sanity goes out the window. Probably cause they send you a pretty slick, color catalog in the mail for FREE the size of the old Sears catalogs!

Most everything I bid on met the same fate. The T206's lots of EPDG, other got crazy & the lot 379 - the T206's attached to an album. Amazing front condition cards - but 30k + commission. Wow ! Speechless

ullmandds
04-27-2014, 09:10 AM
I was the underbidder on the e94 partial set and the e97 set...if anyone won and is piecing out...pls contact me.

ullmandds@gmail.com

LKeeler
04-27-2014, 09:14 AM
Why don't you change the title to "...And Losers Thread." I whiffed on the e90-2 Wagner and the D304 Cobb sailed past my max late in the game. The Cobb Back went apeshit, as did the Ruth-- but those were kind of expected.

I whiffed on the Wagner too. Was too rich for my blood, in addition I everything else I was interested in. Was surprised by how much the Authentic graded cards went for.

e107collector
04-27-2014, 09:19 AM
I put an initial bid on the Terre Haute card with Mordecai, but didn't pursue it. I went after the J=K Wagner, but jumped ship towards the end.

Tony

Leon
04-27-2014, 09:21 AM
Changed track a few times and no way was I going to pay what it took to win what I really wanted, so ended up with the 1918 Zeenut, the Tattoo Orbit 5 poster lot (those are quite cool), Crawfords trade card and beat up 3 photo lot. But didn't really fill any holes in my collection. How did that happen?

bobbyw8469
04-27-2014, 09:26 AM
How did that happen?

LOL...we call that "poop or get off the pot"....sounds like you got off the pot! :p

barrysloate
04-27-2014, 09:29 AM
After being out of the hobby as a collector for many years, I won my first lot in a long time last night. But it wasn't cards- it was a collection of vintage books (what else). And it was a great deal, I was shocked I got it. Maybe one of the very few bargains in the entire auction.

peterb69
My budget was totally outclassed in this auction. Some T206's went for way more then I thought they would

Runscott
I only had one initial ceiling bid hold up - the two Home Run Baker autographs. Won two other items that required a bit of unplanned early morning enthusiasm.

shammus
04-27-2014, 09:40 AM
Won 6 lots in all, and was happy with the prices. Most went for under what I had estimated. I picked up the J=K Wagner, the e93 Dooin w/ e97 back, the t205 Collins with the ghost, two lots of Ramly's including the 19 card lot w/ Pelty and a small group of 5 e107 commons.

Will likely have some t204 or maybe even e107 extras once I get it all sorted out. Will be out of town today but back tonight to start looking through things.

shammus
04-27-2014, 09:42 AM
After being out of the hobby as a collector for many years, I won my first lot in a long time last night. But it wasn't cards- it was a collection of vintage books (what else). And it was a great deal, I was shocked I got it. Maybe one of the very few bargains in the entire auction.

That's awesome Barry, congrats on your lot, I remember you always had an interest in the books. I actually stumbled into a small lot of books in the auction and thought of you. Glad to see you still involved :)

Al C.risafulli
04-27-2014, 09:43 AM
When I fell asleep last night after 3AM I was the high bidder on the 1888 New York Giants team photo at $2,750. I woke up at 6 to discover I'd been outbid. Many times. It closed at $11,000, with 20 bids placed between 3:30 and 4:45 AM.

I did win the 1915 Newark Peppers team photo (the "N" in my avatar refers to the Peppers), and for that I am thrilled.

Just a great auction, every single time.

-Al

MattyC
04-27-2014, 09:48 AM
I whiffed on the Wagner too. Was too rich for my blood, in addition I everything else I was interested in.

Well at least we both had the same good taste, Luke! I am actually very happy for the card. I've long believed the e90-2 Wagner to be tragically undervalued, and had hopes at one time of obtaining several. I know of at least one other collector who owns a few of the extant 105 grades examples (probably less factoring in crackouts and crosses).

I mean, considering it's a Wagner portrait from that age, has such an attractive, bold color background, and is desirable to so many collectors as an alternative to The One, I was waiting for this card to take off one day.

I was thinking of selling mine at one point to help another card happen; man, am I glad I held it.

Someone absolutely stole one off ebay a little while back. The auction never even popped on my saved searches for some reason. That one still pains me. Not really the card for a quick ebay auction, in my opinion. It deserves a long time up there with a proper write-up or should be in a catalog.

When we look at what some of the other Wagner portraits go for, I gotta believe the remaining affordable ones will gain ground and narrow the price gap as years go by. Trying to build a well-rounded collection, a Wagner portrait kind of feels like a must-have, and there aren't many affordable choices for the collector.

btcarfagno
04-27-2014, 10:00 AM
I was able to get the high grade Scrapps lot with the two sets of attached pieces and I picked up the Worch Cigar lot of 16. Thought both were among the few bargains. Will be breaking them up if anyone is interested.

Tom C

RGold
04-27-2014, 10:18 AM
I bowed out of the bidding on the 52 Topps Mantle SGC 80 when it crossed $30,000. I kept thinking about the Psa 7 one that I sold for $14,000 over 10 years ago which makes it hard for me to cough up over 40 grand for a grade lower now.

On the other hand, someone out there paid over $35,000 for a PSA 4.5 a few months back. :eek::eek::eek:

I also bid on the lot of 36 1933 Goudey Proofs. I thought under $5,000 was a reasonable deal but I only really wanted the two Pepper Martin cards, and did not feel like having to sell off 34 others.

I always enjoy REA, but usually Heritage is where I find more of the cards I am interested in for my collection which is heavy 1930's.

Congrats to all the winners. :D:D:D

Wildfireschulte
04-27-2014, 10:21 AM

Barry - I agree, the vintage books were a steal. The Church and Cinncinati books by themselves are worth more than the hammer price. great buy - let me know if you are selling either Cobb book.

gnaz01
04-27-2014, 10:34 AM

I was the underbidder Barry and saw I got outbid at around 2:30 in the afternoon, and I guess it stuck. Congrats. If you want to part with the Church book, please let me know.

I was outbid on the only other lot I REALLY wanted at 2:36AM (I couldn't stay up :mad:) was the 1939 Burdick books. My high bid of $4500 was topped by one bid :(

Oh well, win some, lose some.

Greg

E93
04-27-2014, 10:55 AM
Brian,
Awesome J=K Wagner pickup!

I won a few lots, but this is the one I am most excited about.
JimB

http://photos.imageevent.com/jimblumenthal/tycobbcards/websize/E92%20Cobb%20Crofts%20Candy%20fb.tiff.jpg

1880nonsports
04-27-2014, 10:57 AM
feeling your pain as I was an underbidder on that lot as well although I dropped a couple bids earlier. The 1939 has been on my list a long time. I once passed at 300. or so (1995) before I was putting a "run" together and a few months ago I was offered a copy with a replaced cover for around 1000. but the replacement bothered me and I keep convincing myself I'll find a nice one at the money I want to pay or I'll do without sad as that may be to me. Needless to say I've already had to revise my buy price a few times based on market experience. Apparently the bar has been raised again after the 4000.+ showing last time out in REA and this hammer. My biggest problem in the Edwards lot was determining the value of the other half of the lot. That being said - coming up empty last few years even at 1000. - I've upped my buy price to 1500 - probably just more mental masturbation.

MattyC
04-27-2014, 11:01 AM
Brian,

JimB

http://photos.imageevent.com/jimblumenthal/tycobbcards/websize/E92%20Cobb%20Crofts%20Candy%20fb.tiff.jpg

That was one I thought was stellar. Major congrats on that one.

MattyC
04-27-2014, 11:07 AM
I bowed out of the bidding on the 52 Topps Mantle SGC 80 when it crossed $30,000. I kept thinking about the Psa 7 one that I sold for $14,000 over 10 years ago which makes it hard for me to cough up over 40 grand for a grade lower now.

On the other hand, someone out there paid over $35,000 for a PSA 4.5 a few months back. :eek::eek::eek:

I also bid on the lot of 36 1933 Goudey Proofs. I thought under $5,000 was a reasonable deal but I only really wanted the two Pepper Martin cards, and did not feel like having to sell off 34 others.

I always enjoy REA, but usually Heritage is where I find more of the cards I am interested in for my collection which is heavy 1930's.

Congrats to all the winners. :D:D:D

Ten year old prices can sure be fun to look at. When it comes to 2014 prices, though, they really aren't too helpful. I suppose bread was much cheaper ten years ago than it is today; if I refuse to buy bread today though, I might wind up starving ;)

I was the winner of that Mantle you referenced. For me, it's really not about the sticker grade with certain cards; I believe that with some cards you can throw the numerical grade out the window; I believe that rarity in terms of eye appeal completely trumps technical assessments based on arbitrarily written grading guidelines.

I can see how viewing pricing through the prism of grades and VCP grids can make one wonder how a card with a lower grade can command far more than a higher grade. The key to processing those seemingly anomalous data points is to put focus on the cards themselves and not the holders and grades. With 1952 Mantles, a study of all past sales bears out that perfect centering and a clean blue background is much rarer than a corner that merits a grade of 6 or 7. And if one is seeking such a centered and clean-surfaced example, precious few come up for sale-- hence the competition for it and the price.

The REA example was quite nice; exhibits the usual tilt but very bright and clean in other respects. I trust the owner is very happy :)

barrysloate
04-27-2014, 11:09 AM
K. Farrell- after I get the lot I will decide what I want to keep and what I want to sell. Will let you know.

Greg- I actually put my bid in around 9:00, then decided to walk away assuming it would go much higher. But that bid held up the whole night. I'm glad the T206 crowd pays no attention to the books.

And I'll let you know if I decide to part with the Church.

shernan30
04-27-2014, 11:09 AM
Just got official word that Lot 295, which I partnered with a board member on, is my first ever REA win. It's also my first Cobb, Matty, WaJo, and Young cards!! This has been an awesome week for my collection with REA and a few OJ pickups earlier this week. Not so much for the piggy bank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barrysloate
04-27-2014, 11:12 AM
That's awesome Barry, congrats on your lot, I remember you always had an interest in the books. I actually stumbled into a small lot of books in the auction and thought of you. Glad to see you still involved :)

Thanks Brian. Happy to see you did well too. Thought the book lot would be a good project for me, to dip my toes back into the hobby.

Leon
04-27-2014, 11:13 AM
feeling your pain as I was an underbidder on that lot as well although I dropped a couple bids earlier. The 1939 has been on my list a long time. I once passed at 300. or so (1995) before I was putting a "run" together and a few months ago I was offered a copy with a replaced cover for around 1000. but the replacement bothered me and I keep convincing myself I'll find a nice one at the money I want to pay or I'll do without sad as that may be to me. Needless to say I've already had to revise my buy price a few times based on market experience. Apparently the bar has been raised again after the 4000.+ showing last time out in REA and this hammer. My biggest problem in the Edwards lot was determining the value of the other half of the lot. That being said - coming up empty last few years even at 1000. - I've upped my buy price to 1500 - probably just more mental masturbation.

I spoke with another hobby publication collector last night during the auction concerning that lot. We figured about a 75% - 25% valuation on the 1939 Catalog and the 1930s Card Collectors Bulletins respectively. If that was the case then the Catalog was around 4200, with 2 additional Yearly Supplements in it. REA has gotten the top prices I have seen for these early guides. They are really scarce. We need to remember there were only 500 printed, 75 years ago. I still need a 1956 reprint of the 1953 edition if anyone has one laying around :).

triwak
04-27-2014, 11:14 AM
I was the underbidder on the 1933 Philadelphia Stars Negro League PC with Jud Wilson and Biz Mackey. Being the underbidder sucks! :p

Runscott
04-27-2014, 11:15 AM
When I fell asleep last night after 3AM I was the high bidder on the 1888 New York Giants team photo at $2,750. I woke up at 6 to discover I'd been outbid. Many times. It closed at $11,000, with 20 bids placed between 3:30 and 4:45 AM.

I did win the 1915 Newark Peppers team photo (the "N" in my avatar refers to the Peppers), and for that I am thrilled.

Just a great auction, every single time.

-Al

Yeah, just after 3:00 a.m. it was about $3K and I was wishing I had put in a marker bid. But it would have been irrelevant.

Al, you have great taste.

ngrow9
04-27-2014, 11:19 AM
I was outbid on the Federal League document collection after 4am...I was actually still awake, but decided to let it go in light of other recent purchases. I thought the winner got a good deal, though. If the winner is on the board, and is planning on breaking up the collection, let me know as I would be interested in one or two of the pieces.

I also bailed out early on the Federal League Hal Chase Day/Tinker Day program package. I've been wanting the Hal Chase program (I discuss that game and the resulting legal proceedings in a book I wrote), but anticipated the set would go for more than I was comfortable paying. Congrats to the winner, and keep me in mind if you ever decide to move that piece.

wolf441
04-27-2014, 11:21 AM
Changed track a few times and no way was I going to pay what it took to win what I really wanted, so ended up with the 1918 Zeenut, the Tattoo Orbit 5 poster lot (those are quite cool), Crawfords trade card and beat up 3 photo lot. But didn't really fill any holes in my collection. How did that happen?

+1, Leon. I was outbid on all of the T206 lots that I wanted and then started talking myself into bidding on stuff that didn't even fit into my collecting niche. In the end, I look a pass on everything.

It reminded me of a quarterback inside the red zone in football. Sometimes, if no one is open, the best play is to just throw the ball out of the end zone and go back to the drawing board...:D

Leon
04-27-2014, 11:29 AM
+1, Leon. I was outbid on all of the T206 lots that I wanted and then started talking myself into bidding on stuff that didn't even fit into my collecting niche. In the end, I look a pass on everything.

It reminded me of a quarterback inside the red zone in football. Sometimes, if no one is open, the best play is to just throw the ball out of the end zone and go back to the drawing board...:D

As a type collector and ancillary-item-to-our-cards collector, I can justify almost any direction I go. :eek: I have a ton of advertising things but they aren't my primary interest (cards are). So the biggest purchase for me was for things (Tattoo Orbit baseball signage) I likely won't see again, in the completeness of this small group. Made sense to me. :o Then right before I absolutely fell asleep (mere seconds) I hit a bid for the 1918 Zeenut, which was an upgrade for me, then almost before my fingers left the bid key I fell asleep. It was like I was giving one last gasp of breath to the auction. Also, I barely got into the chat room last night as I felt a bit off kilter. I think it was all of the ass kicking I took in the auction. Where is that 1915 REA thread? Better start preparing early.

rhettyeakley
04-27-2014, 11:31 AM
I ended up with the 1918 Zeenut lot of 18 (of which I think I need 8) and then also won the T207/T206 lot of 16 w/ the T207 Cycle Donlin and the T207 blank back (I have never seen a short print T207 w a blank back so I'm excited about those two cards from the lot-- pretty well hidden little lot)

MyGuyTy
04-27-2014, 11:37 AM
The "REAness" seems to take a hold on many people....they just can't stop themselves from overbidding, then they wake up with buyer's remorse and a new thread is started telling us about it. Then ultimately the item/items don't even get paid for or are immediately put back up for sale with the buyer willing to take a huge loss because he admittingly way overpaid......a sad but true vicious cycle when it comes to REA/Goodwin lots.

If more people would exercise some sort of DISCIPLINE when bidding, these things wouldn't happen ;)

bcornell
04-27-2014, 11:44 AM
Bounced back from last year's REA shutout. The free shipping makes everything seem like a bargain :)

The Fleischmann cards came from Bruce Dorskind's collection. This is the 4th McKechnie I've acquired from that scarce set, due to some cosmic weirdness (there are many others I've yet to see).

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/images_items/item_30173_1.jpg http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/images_items/item_30175_1.jpg http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/images_items/item_30641_1.jpg http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/images_items/item_30679_1.jpg

1880nonsports
04-27-2014, 11:51 AM
guess great minds think alike as I put the acc at 4000. of the total. Still seems high but apparently not to 3/4 other people. I'll look for the '56 as I think I have an extra in "the box".
Not enough time has gone by for me to go out in public - but I guess privately on a chatboard in the anonimity of the cyberweb I can bemoan my crushing defeat last night. The round album. The great equalizer. Granddaddy of them all. After losing all my bids by 2am I decided the time had come for one last shot over the bow. One last bid on the LAST album I need to conclude my framed "run". I was barely conscious - there was no time for reason - I hit the bid button.
It had been agonizing enough waiting the month for the final day of bidding on my interested lots and couple/three consignments. That last 2 hours from 2:15 to 4:59:12 when only criminals and thieves are awake on the beast coast were the toughest. At 4:59 the lights flickered - death had laid eggs in my wounds (Garcia Marquez) - mighty Casey had struckout. And so the struggle continues. First time ever I was goose-egged without a single lot won. On the positive side - I can now afford to go to a baseball game...............

RGold
04-27-2014, 11:54 AM
Ten year old prices can sure be fun to look at. When it comes to 2014 prices, though, they really aren't too helpful. I suppose bread was much cheaper ten years ago than it is today; if I refuse to buy bread today though, I might wind up starving ;)

I was the winner of that Mantle you referenced. For me, it's really not about the sticker grade with certain cards; I believe that with some cards you can throw the numerical grade out the window; I believe that rarity in terms of eye appeal completely trumps technical assessments based on arbitrarily written grading guidelines.

I can see how viewing pricing through the prism of grades and VCP grids can make one wonder how a card with a lower grade can command far more than a higher grade. The key to processing those seemingly anomalous data points is to put focus on the cards themselves and not the holders and grades. With 1952 Mantles, a study of all past sales bears out that perfect centering and a clean blue background is much rarer than a corner that merits a grade of 6 or 7. And if one is seeking such a centered and clean-surfaced example, precious few come up for sale-- hence the competition for it and the price.

The REA example was quite nice; exhibits the usual tilt but very bright and clean in other respects. I trust the owner is very happy :)

Oops. Sorry. If you're happy, I'm happy for you. Glad to see it was a bonafide sale. And, not one of those cards where the buyer was someone that was "guaranteed" a bump in grade. Enjoy it. :D:D:D

1880nonsports
04-27-2014, 12:07 PM
LOVE that Andrews KBAT! It manages to capture a rather comical moment with the juxtaposition of a seemingly professional photo shoot featuring Andrews posing on the field and his apparent state of undress.....

MattyC
04-27-2014, 12:19 PM
Oops. Sorry. If you're happy, I'm happy for you. Glad to see it was a bonafide sale. And, not one of those cards where the buyer was someone that was "guaranteed" a bump in grade. Enjoy it. :D:D:D

Thanks, RG. Yup, I can vouch for the legitimacy of the sale. It will be with me for a very long time-- or at least until another dead-centered, perfect aqua background example surfaces with superior corners and thus in a higher holder... Though I'd imagine such a specimen would wind up costing quite a bit more than I paid for mine, and quite a bit more than the historical average of average examples in whatever grade it will be, and then of course who knows when such an eye-appealing chimera will surface? ;)

Peter_Spaeth
04-27-2014, 12:23 PM
Chacun a son gout. :D:D

Bicem
04-27-2014, 12:24 PM
my wins...

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/images_items/item_30366_1.jpg

(Dorskind Collection)

RGold
04-27-2014, 12:29 PM
Chacun a son gout. :D:D

Taste dis. :D:D:D

insidethewrapper
04-27-2014, 12:32 PM
I was one of the low bidders on the N172 McGreachery (White) card. I dropped out at $10k, it went for $ 110,000 ( $ 130,350 with premium) with a Grade of (1). What does a T206 Wagner graded 1 sell for ?

tiger8mush
04-27-2014, 12:35 PM
my wins...

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/images_items/item_30366_1.jpg

(Dorskind Collection)

Congrats Jeff, that was the sole lot I was after and u kicked my butt!

bcornell
04-27-2014, 12:35 PM
...Then ultimately the item/items don't even get paid for or are immediately put back up for sale with the buyer willing to take a huge loss because he admittingly way overpaid......a sad but true vicious cycle when it comes to REA/Goodwin lots.

Buddy - If you win an REA lot, you pay. Rob has always been vigilant about that point. Goodwin may be another story...

Peter_Spaeth
04-27-2014, 12:38 PM
Taste dis. :D:D:D

Not to mon gout, RG, sorry.

oldjudge
04-27-2014, 01:04 PM
Kind of outside my collecting range, but the Morrisanias played about one mile from where I grew up, and less than a mile from current day Yankee Stadium. This game was the first time the boys from the Bronx beat this Brooklyn powerhouse (something that would happen quite often in the 20th century).

spacktrack
04-27-2014, 01:04 PM
Great pickups everyone. I added information about invoices to the other thread, but I will also post here.

Invoices are now finalized and available online in your account. We will not send hard copy invoices so please check your account on our website. The free shipping is not a mistake! Shipping is free (with the exception of international shipments and unusually large or heavy items--charges for those will be invoiced in the coming days as we calculate costs based on location).

If you have special instructions about sending your items, please e-mail us AND include a note with your payment. If you need wiring instructions, please contact us and we'll send the information to you.

We start shipping tomorrow, so the sooner we receive payment, the sooner we can process your invoice for shipping. There were 649 different winning bidders, which means the shipping process takes a great deal of time (and not all of our items are single graded cards). We always do our best to ship shortly after receipt of payment.

If you have any questions, please let us know.

Thanks again for your participation!

Brian

1880nonsports
04-27-2014, 01:26 PM
I'm still missing an early trophy ball, fingerless glove, and pillbox hat to round out my accumulation. I had long pockets and short arms based on my projected "win" of the Goodwin round album or I might have taken the dip - one day I'll find the one that speaks to me when I can actually afford it. Nice as well that you found a connection to it. Congratulations........

barrysloate
04-27-2014, 01:43 PM
Great win Jay. That was one of my favorite lots in the auction. I had a few of the Union balls in my collecting days, but that one is the best of the bunch.

oldjudge
04-27-2014, 01:44 PM
Thanks Barry and Henry. Not many times that I find a piece that talks to me.

barrysloate
04-27-2014, 01:57 PM
Jay- the late Walter Handelman, who was a dear friend of mine and a big 19th century collector, grew up in Morrisania and loved anything he could find regarding the team. He had one of the lower condition Union balls as well as other Morrisania memorabilia.

wonkaticket
04-27-2014, 02:32 PM
Great items guys, Jay love the ball! Not much for me not unlike the Mighty Casey I sort of struck out this go round. :D

http://photos.imageevent.com/piojohn3/net54shared/item_31463_1.jpg

Jeff, Bill & Jim great items as usual that's one nice Cobb....

oldjudge
04-27-2014, 02:52 PM
John--great poster. Zasu Pitts, who was in that movie, was in one of my favorite TV shows growing up, The Gale Storm Show (way before your time).

wonkaticket
04-27-2014, 02:59 PM
John--great poster. Zasu Pitts, who was in that movie, was in one of my favorite TV shows growing up, The Gale Storm Show (way before your time).

Jay I did not know that nor have I heard of the show...now I will have to find some old episodes on line....I grew up watching Ernie Kovacs reruns as kid so sort of an old soul love the older TV shows.

Speaking of which anyone know where to catch old episodes of Home Run Derby?

barrysloate
04-27-2014, 03:07 PM
Zasu Pitts also made a movie with W.C. Fields: Mrs. Wiggs of the Cabbage Patch.

btcarfagno
04-27-2014, 03:12 PM
Jay I did not know that nor have I heard of the show...now I will have to find some old episodes on line....I grew up watching Ernie Kovacs reruns as kid so sort of an old soul love the older TV shows.

I actually have an autograph of Kovacs from his earliest tv days locally in Philly. A membership card for the "Early Eyeball and Fraternal Marching Society" autgraphed by Mr. Kovacs himself. The man was a genius in the truest sense.

Tom C

t206hof
04-27-2014, 03:21 PM
John, I can remember seeing episodes of Home Run Derby on ESPN a few years back, so I am guessing their are some of these floating around out there somewhere.

Brian Van Horn
04-27-2014, 04:18 PM

I don't know about episodes, but I was at a flea market today and picked this up, wrapper and all:

wonkaticket
04-27-2014, 04:26 PM
Brian that's cool!

If anyone wants to buy anything from me please make all checks payable to The Bazooka Dooka Hicka Hocka Hookah Company. :D

Cheers,

John

itjclarke
04-27-2014, 06:11 PM
... Ten. Have wanted one for a little while and was happy to get this one for my auto-bid max, entered on about day 2.

Bosox Blair
04-27-2014, 07:35 PM
After some last-minute scrambling (I got outbid on all my lots I was winning after 4:30AM EST), I happily came away with the fantastic 1896 Orioles (champions that year) cabinet featuring many eventual Hall-of-Famers:

MVSNYC
04-27-2014, 08:29 PM
Great stuff guys! I got 2 Piedmont 42 T206's, and these two stubs:

SMPEP
04-28-2014, 10:58 AM
Struck out on everything.

If the winner of teh W572 lot is selling the 5 card strip, let me know.

Cheers,
Patrick

Runscott
04-28-2014, 11:01 AM
... Ten. Have wanted one for a little while and was happy to get this one for my auto-bid max, entered on about day 2.

Like for a million years?

Congrats Ian.

the 'stache
04-28-2014, 11:14 AM
Brian,

JimB

Jim, I was admiring that one just before the auction closed. That's a striking card. The color is phenomenal. One of my favorite cards in the whole auction.

Congratulations on your win!

Just_Collect
04-28-2014, 12:17 PM
Very cool! It was a great auction as usual. I won the N300 Mayo near set, a bunch of T206's, and misc other cards. For my collection, I was blown out of the water by the 1873 Rutgers Football program which sold for $7,700 but I won lot #1889, the 1915 Red Sox Scorecard w/ Babe Ruth and lot #870, the Eddie Cicotte signed lot (I'm going to keep the photo and sell the 1st day cover). I can't wait for the next auction!

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/bidplace.aspx?itemid=32033

Regards,
Leighton
www.justcollect.com (http://www.justcollect.com/)

E93
04-28-2014, 01:23 PM
Thanks Bill.
JimB

wonkaticket
04-28-2014, 01:40 PM
Brian,

JimB

What's going on...all week Jim was telling me the card was trimmed and I should stay away. :)

gnaz01
04-28-2014, 01:42 PM
what's going on...all week jim was telling me the card was trimmed and i should stay away. :)

lol

RGold
04-28-2014, 02:22 PM
What's going on...all week Jim was telling me the card was trimmed and I should stay away. :)

I wouldn't be concerned unless Jim starts a new thread,

Croft's Candy cards, shouldn't they sell for much more?

:D:D:D

sforaker
04-28-2014, 02:22 PM
Picked up hobby classic I have always wanted.142614

Eric72
04-28-2014, 02:23 PM

John,

Apparently, MGM released the show on a series of DVDs back in 2007. I snagged Volume 3 (the 1959 season) from a used video store a few miles down the road from my house a while back and enjoyed it.

If you can't track it down, let me know. I would be happy to send this one your way.

Best regards,

Eric

1880nonsports
04-28-2014, 02:28 PM
If the winner of the salesman sample book with the die-cuts want to make a quick 350.00 PROFIT - I'm interested. hmoses2@comcast.net or message. If anyone knows WHOM it was that won it - please relay my desire to them.

Leon
04-28-2014, 02:52 PM
Picked up hobby classic I have always wanted.142614

One of my faves, congrats. Looks like our board members came away with quite a few items. Great looking antiquities.

Jim- Love the Croft's Cobb.

sforaker
04-28-2014, 03:01 PM
Thanks, Leon.

I agree that the Croft's Cobb is the bomb. Congrats, Jim.

Love seeing all the great cards of fellow board members.

Scott

M's_Fan
04-28-2014, 03:31 PM
The values I received as a consignor for my items ranged from mediocre to awful.

I consigned a 1951 Bowman Red Menace complete set (Lot 1722) that I bought for $1300 in the 2010 REA auction, then spent about $300 in grading fees, only to see it go for $700, which means only $630 back to me after REA fees, so I lost almost $670 on this set. :(:(:(

I lost money on all of the other items I was consigning too, all purchased from past REA auctions, after accounting for the 10% consignment fees (a T205 Tris Speaker SGC 70, a 1954 Topps Ted Williams, a 1941 Goudy Sky Birds complete set).

Because my consignment auctions were going so poorly, I hardly bid on anything, as I was not feeling like I had any coin to spare.

peterose4hof
04-28-2014, 03:47 PM
I was in the running for the Cincinnati Peck & Snyder, but it got a little too steep for me.

uffda51
04-28-2014, 04:47 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxbx5mtT401qe6nze.gif

I'm also a fan of Zasu Pitts!

Runscott
04-28-2014, 04:56 PM
Thanks for bowing out.

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk

Cardboard Junkie
04-28-2014, 05:33 PM
I was a big winner this year, because I just got my catalog today (4-28-2014). I saved a ton of money. :)

sportzjunky
04-28-2014, 06:12 PM
I really love the card I won... Lot 78! I had a lot of fun watching the incredible run in the final 8 hours. I cant imagine NOT drinking during that. :D

DanP
04-28-2014, 06:31 PM
I sold this card in a similar grade a few months ago and regretted it (of course my wife reminded me she told me not to sell it). I was happy to see in REA and thrilled that the team "card" was included.

JamesGallo
04-28-2014, 06:35 PM
I got outbid on the Boston Store lot of common sat like 4am...

If anyone won them or knows where they went PLMK as I need about 10 of the cards for my set. Thanks

James G

Bicem
04-28-2014, 06:47 PM
Nice Dan, really liked that piece.

bobfreedman
04-28-2014, 06:47 PM
I won the Carl Furillo satin jersey which I thought was a great buy.

I was outbid on the Barnum and Bailey elephants playing baseball and the Tuxedo John McGraw (which I wanted very badly to go along with my Mathewson).

The 19th century photos went for strong prices IMO.

Nice pick ups all.

Sean1125
04-28-2014, 06:49 PM
Cool piece, Bob.

gnaz01
04-28-2014, 07:03 PM
I was outbid on the Tuxedo John McGraw (which I wanted very badly to go along with my Mathewson).

Well that sucks, Bob. However, if want to get rid of the Matty now..... :rolleyes:

Nice pickup on the jersey!

Greg

wonkaticket
04-28-2014, 07:16 PM
I was a big winner this year, because I just got my catalog today (4-28-2014). I saved a ton of money. :)

Was the internet down in your town this month? :confused:

DixieBaseball
04-28-2014, 07:46 PM
I was the underbidder on this puppy... Bummed about it as I found it to be a really neat - unique item. Never heard of this Negro league team and to have a pic on a period cigar box is stellar. (I was kicking myself for not bidding more) :(

wonkaticket
04-28-2014, 07:47 PM
I was the underbidder on this puppy... Bummed about it as I found it to be a really neat - unique item. Never heard of this Negro league team and to have a pic on a period cigar box is stellar. (I was kicking myself for not bidding more) :(

That is an amazing item!!!!!!! Very, very cool!

DixieBaseball
04-28-2014, 07:50 PM
That is an amazing item!!!!!!! Very, very cool!

John - I think the winner got a great deal, but such a nice display piece. (The pic of the team is also on the side of the cigar box...)

WOW !

atx840
04-28-2014, 08:20 PM
I was outbid on the Barnum and Bailey elephants playing baseball

There was a lot of activity on the elephants in the last hour, I was betting they would close out the night.

Beautiful poster

h2oya311
04-28-2014, 08:35 PM
I was pretty excited to wake up to the "You Won" e-mail for the two HOF pre-rookie cabinets I really wanted from this auction - - the 1893 Buffalo BBC w/ Jimmy Collins and the 1901 Terre Haute Cabinet w/ Mordecai Brown. I got blown out of the water on the other 4 items I was actively pursuing. Here's the 1901 Cabinet - can't wait to get it in hand!!

3-2-count
04-28-2014, 09:26 PM
Derek, sensational 3 Finger Brown cabinet. It was one of my top 5 favorite items in the auction. Bravo!!

irishdenny
04-28-2014, 10:25 PM
The others that I were pursuing, were left behind with the thought of the
E90-1's that I am working oN!

Although...
"I'm Extremely Happy with my NeW MaTTy..."

Bicem
04-28-2014, 10:28 PM
Derek, sensational 3 Finger Brown cabinet. It was one of my top 5 favorite items in the auction. Bravo!!

Mine too. Thought it was a great deal.

1880nonsports
04-28-2014, 11:25 PM
as under bidder I loved it but just couldn't justify continuing the chase as it's not old enough for me. It's an awesome display but with little room it would be relegated to the closet. Not a good place to be unless one is in a reality show :-). A piece like that has to be seen and appreciated.

sb1
04-29-2014, 06:52 AM
One of many items that I should have kept a few years back :( The board member that had it before me, probably wishes the same thing.

I have seen one other in far lesser condition. Congrats on the new ownership!

I was pretty excited to wake up to the "You Won" e-mail for the two HOF pre-rookie cabinets I really wanted from this auction - - the 1893 Buffalo BBC w/ Jimmy Collins and the 1901 Terre Haute Cabinet w/ Mordecai Brown. I got blown out of the water on the other 4 items I was actively pursuing. Here's the 1901 Cabinet - can't wait to get it in hand!!

pbspelly
04-29-2014, 07:32 AM
Got outbid on the 1910 Baseball Fan with great grandpa Sullivan and others http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/bidplace.aspx?itemid=31272. It's okay, though. I'd actually rather have one with ads on the back, or one that was "game-used." So I'll keep looking.

Runscott
04-29-2014, 08:47 AM
Love the Terre Haute cabinet, as well as many other early cabinets and cdvs in this auction. Great stuff, but I had all of my eggs in two baskets, so my hands were tied waiting for one of you to outbid me so I could go after other stuff.

So let's hear it - will anyone admit that they placed a bid after 5:00 a.m.? Nothing wrong with doing so, but would love to hear the thought process involved.

btcarfagno
04-29-2014, 09:06 AM
I was asleep at 5:00 AM. Woke up at 5:45 to see I had won these:

http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy203/collectiblesgains/scrapps2_zps0a9f2639.jpg

and these:

http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy203/collectiblesgains/scrapps1_zps0b6d6793.jpg

...and that my max bid was not hit.

It was a good morning!

Tom C

Clydewally
04-29-2014, 10:00 AM
Struck out on everything.

If the winner of teh W572 lot is selling the 5 card strip, let me know.

Cheers,
Patrick

That was me. I am likely to sell or trade the commons and dupes of Cobb and Johnson. There are players I a wanted on the strip, but I am not wed to it. Happy to discuss.

shammus
04-29-2014, 12:43 PM
The values I received as a consignor for my items ranged from mediocre to awful.

I consigned a 1951 Bowman Red Menace complete set (Lot 1722) that I bought for $1300 in the 2010 REA auction, then spent about $300 in grading fees, only to see it go for $700, which means only $630 back to me after REA fees, so I lost almost $670 on this set. :(:(:(

I lost money on all of the other items I was consigning too, all purchased from past REA auctions, after accounting for the 10% consignment fees (a T205 Tris Speaker SGC 70, a 1954 Topps Ted Williams, a 1941 Goudy Sky Birds complete set).

Because my consignment auctions were going so poorly, I hardly bid on anything, as I was not feeling like I had any coin to spare.

Greg, I can relate to this a bit. I think there were tons of great deals to be had in this auction and I feel I picked up a few nice things myself. But on the flip side of this, if there are great deals to be had, that means that there are consigners disappointed in how things turned out. The 09 Obak set I consigned went for only 4k, which is a number I feel is almost unrealistically low. Winning some nice things at good prices definitely helps take the sting off but it did feel like I was restricted in my bidding too.

One question...you mentioned a 10% consignment fee? I thought REA offered a 0% across the board. Am I mistaken?

Runscott
04-29-2014, 01:23 PM
Brian - sorry I failed to put in a marker on your OBAKs. I marked poorly for the most part as almost all were at retail or higher at extendef bidding time. I also did very poorly on my one REA consignment - I paid over 6K and the hammer was just over 3K
But I think that was a weird anamoly.

Runscott
04-29-2014, 01:24 PM
Addendum - my consignment was last Fall.

Leon
04-29-2014, 01:48 PM
Tattoo Orbit signs are really colorful...

soxinseven
05-01-2014, 07:49 PM
I split lot 295 with another board member. Sent my check on Monday and received the cards today. Now that's service!!!

Iwantmorecards77
05-01-2014, 08:04 PM
Received my consignment check today - very quick! First time dealing with REA and it was a good experience.

jcmtiger
05-01-2014, 08:54 PM
Greg, I can relate to this a bit. I think there were tons of great deals to be had in this auction and I feel I picked up a few nice things myself. But on the flip side of this, if there are great deals to be had, that means that there are consigners disappointed in how things turned out. The 09 Obak set I consigned went for only 4k, which is a number I feel is almost unrealistically low. Winning some nice things at good prices definitely helps take the sting off but it did feel like I was restricted in my bidding too.

One question...you mentioned a 10% consignment fee? I thought REA offered a 0% across the board. Am I mistaken?

I consigned some items and my contract states 10% fee.

Joe

uffda51
05-08-2014, 05:24 PM
http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/images_items/item_31912_1.jpg

Thanks, Rob!