PDA

View Full Version : To grade or not to grade Hank Aaron collection

Vintagevault13
04-25-2014, 04:51 PM
Last year I completed a 1954-1976 Topps Hank Aaron regular issue run. This includes all base cards, All-Star, MVP, multi-player, and leader cards. In addition, I have some insert/oddball cards such as scratchoff, coins, etc. The cards are low-mid grade (but definitely not beaters) that I anticipate would grade around 4 or 5 (a few may be as low as a 2 and a few may be a 6).

I am trying to decide if it is worth having the cards graded in this condition. I don't plan to sell them, but things could certainly change. If I do decide to sell, will grading these cards raise the value enough to justify the grading fees?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

hammer
04-25-2014, 05:04 PM
Enjoy the Cards just the way you have them in their ungraded natural state.

brewing
04-25-2014, 05:42 PM
Enjoy the Cards just the way you have them in their ungraded natural state.

+1

MattyC
04-25-2014, 05:44 PM
Only grade when it's time to sell; that time might not come for ten years-- at which point who knows what TPG will be the right move. So I say only spend the money at selling time on raw cards.

Rich Klein
04-26-2014, 03:18 AM
Depends:

One major advantage of grading is in case of loss due to fire or theft and if you have photos and proof, the insurance claim becomes a ton easier. In addition, the cards are better protected from any elements when they are graded.

Plus, if and when the time comes to sell, as has been mentioned, getting a card graded only can help. Me, if I went through that investemnt to buy a complete nice condition Aaron run, many of the cards would be graded,

Unlike the first posters, I see nothing wrong with grading your cards at all if you so choose.

Rich

ALR-bishop
04-26-2014, 07:08 AM
I am with Henry...and Matt....and Brent ....natural and intended state.

But Rich is right as well. They are yours, do what you want with them

K-Nole
04-26-2014, 09:47 AM
Just for me, I do not send cards in to be graded as I am a worry wart and would worry myself sick that they would be lost in the mail.
Now i will BUY graded cards, but I wont send my RAW cards in.

If you are asking what I would do, I would not have them graded, however i would put them on your PSA Registry page and scan the card in. PSA has a section for Non Graded Cards that you can upload them onto. A VERY useful tool that i wish SGC would adopt.

Exhibitman
04-27-2014, 05:52 AM
If you like it in a slab grade it. I'd not bother otherwise. I like my stuff in an album. It also gets very hard not to slab everything when you have a big chunk in holders. I am facing that now with my Benny Leonard collection. Most are slabbed and I will probably slab the rest to be consistent.

hcv123
04-29-2014, 11:42 AM
I would grade the 1954-1959. Leave the rest alone.