PDA

View Full Version : Need help appraising my Ty Cobb card

Barthr13
04-25-2014, 02:01 PM
I have a Ty Cobb red portrait piedmont 150 subject card that I was given as a gift and I am looking for more information about this card. I have looked for a similar one and can only find this series with the green background. Is this a common Ty Cobb card?

Barthr13
04-25-2014, 02:02 PM
The back of the card

scooter729
Hi, unfortunately it is a reprint card. The borders and the appearance on the front are a dead giveaway that this is a reprint. Sorry to break the news....

ZachS
Hate to break it to you... but that is a reprint.

T206Collector
04-25-2014, 02:05 PM
Hate to break it to you... but that is a reprint.

My guess is that the original poster already knows this and was hoping for someone to PM him an offer. The story is too generic.

p.aul m1f5ud

K-Nole
04-25-2014, 02:19 PM
Since 4 screw down cases are scarce anymore, I will offer to buy it for $1 and you can keep the card ;)

bobbyw8469
04-25-2014, 02:27 PM
Agreed...the card is a fake. The screw down holder is worth more than the card! :p

Leon
04-25-2014, 02:30 PM
Agreed...the card is a fake. The screw down holder is worth more than the card! :p

"screw down holder" is becoming the new "Ohio"!!

04-25-2014, 02:34 PM
That holder is in a bit better shape than this one.

http://www.net54baseball.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=141836&stc=1&d=1398122067

team-of-rivals
04-25-2014, 03:46 PM
My guess is that the original poster already knows this and was hoping for someone to PM him an offer. The story is too generic.

p.aul m1f5ud

+1

steve B
04-25-2014, 06:53 PM
That's a nice holder. Since I need one for my registry set of holders I'll go $2. But only if I can send it back if it doesn't get a 9. :rolleyes:

Steve B

edjs
04-25-2014, 09:12 PM
That's a nice holder. Since I need one for my registry set of holders I'll go $2. But only if I can send it back if it doesn't get a 9. :rolleyes:

Steve B

I have a pristine screw down holder, but vintage. Extremely rare version, only one like it. L@@K!!! LOL.

joeadcock
04-25-2014, 09:51 PM

p.aul m1f5ud

Hopefully not, that would be unethical.

GoldenAge50s
04-25-2014, 10:33 PM
The fact the OP isn't back cursing everyone out for their stupidity & calling Net 54 a waste of his time indicates he was "trolling". Fact is, the fishing is much better most any other place than here.

Barthr13
04-26-2014, 02:49 AM
Thank you. I really had no idea I'm not trying "trolling" but thanks for the rude remarks. My son was given this as a baptism gift from his god father at the time and the ass wipe claimed this was worth "tons" of money and he is a lying sack of shit most of the time so I was just curious if my motherly instincts were correct or not! Thank you all for your input even if half of you were being jerks about it.

slipk1068
04-26-2014, 04:39 AM
Thank you. I really had no idea I'm not trying "trolling" but thanks for the rude remarks. My son was given this as a baptism gift from his god father at the time and the ass wipe claimed this was worth "tons" of money and he is a lying sack of shit most of the time so I was just curious if my motherly instincts were correct or not! Thank you all for your input even if half of you were being jerks about it.

I thought some of the remarks were somewhat harsh, but understand that we see A LOT of scams in our hobby. I would bet that there are very few of us here that have never been scammed.

That being said, the card is a reprint, but congratulations on the baptism of your son. My only advice is to enjoy him while he is young because TIME FLIES and he will be an adult before you know it :)

calvindog
04-26-2014, 05:51 AM

In fairness to the OP this isn't the same level of card as that crook with the D304 Cobb showed up with on here. Even if legit this Cobb above is worth much less than 1K. Unfortunately, of course, it's an obvious fake.

Leon
04-26-2014, 06:59 AM

Only half were jerks, we are improving!! You tell 'em, mom. Your motherly instincts were correct and his God Father hasn't changed his stripes.

Barthr13
04-26-2014, 08:16 AM
Thank you everyone! I completely understand where you are all coming from. I have an extreme love for baseball just not familiar in any sense with baseball cards so I do appreciate you clicking and taking the time to look at the forum.

Wildfireschulte
04-26-2014, 08:36 AM
OK so at the risk of being a jerk, I'm not buying the God father story although we can leave what my extended family thinks of think of me out of this. In the original post, you say that you have found the green version of this Cobb, but not the red. A simple eBay search turns up tons of Cobb cards - more red than green, of course - and a crazy amount of reprints. At the very least, you had to know that the card was suspect before posting and left that out. Sorry dude. Kev.in

Barthr13
04-26-2014, 10:56 AM
Yes you sound like a jerk. And I did do a search on ebay and saw nothing hence why I asked here bc I know nothing at all about baseball cards. Thanks again to those of you that helped and weren't rude/ being a jerk about it.

rach.ael Ba.rth

Pat R
04-26-2014, 11:14 AM
Since the op is unfamiliar with these she probably did a search for "piedmont
150 Cobb" and most of them (all the real ones for sure) would be green portraits which are printed in the 150 series and the red portraits are not.

Sean1125
04-26-2014, 11:16 AM
Yes you sound like a jerk. And I did do a search on ebay and saw nothing hence why I asked here bc I know nothing at all about baseball cards. Thanks again to those of you that helped and weren't rude/ being a jerk about it.

There are a lot of jerks everywhere. Grow a thicker skin, ignore what they have to say and they will go away.

joeadcock
04-26-2014, 01:26 PM

Rachael

No disrespect meant to you since you know your child's god father(and I dont) but maybe he truly believed it was real and worth a lot of money, in which case he was trying to give an excellent gift for your child's baptism.

Since the Baptism is a part of what is necessary to reach Heaven, I wouldn't then think of him as a "lying .... of ....". If his heart was in the right place, he just needs to be educated before giving such an opinion of the fake card.

Sorry, if I may be overstepping on your parenting here. Not meant to be.