PDA

View Full Version : Update: Screening of my film in Cooperstown tomorrow (May 18)

GregMitch34
04-24-2014, 05:39 PM
Thrilled about this even though not baseball (yet, you might say, involving one of the true all-time heavy hitters): The acclaimed new film that I co-produced, "Following the Ninth"--on the amazing cultural influence of Berthoven's final symphony and "Ode to Joy"--is being screened in Cooperstown on May 18 as part of a community-wide celebration and benefit for the local Food Pantry. I'll be speaking that night and at local schools the next day. I've also written a book, "Journeys With Beethoven," with the director of the film, Kerry Candaele.

If that name strikes a chord--yes, he is the brother of longtime big leaguer Casey Candaele. And Kerry earlier helped create the documentary "A League of Their," later turned into a certain Hollywood hit. Kerry's mom was one of the original stars portrayed (in composite) in the Tom Hanks film and he provided some material for the exhibit at the Hall...

Completing this cycle...my book about managing my son in Little League, "Joy in Mudville," is part of the collection at the Hall. It was optioned for a Hollywood film by...Tom Hanks. And two years ago I went to the wedding of one of the kids, "RBI Keiser," featured in the book....in Cooperstown at the Otesaga....

Here's link to the May 18 event:

http://cooperstownfoodpantry.org/critically-acclaimed-film-to-premiere-in-cooperstown/

Leon
04-24-2014, 07:35 PM
Very nice write up Greg. Congratulations and kudos for helping a food pantry too. Job well done.

Big Ben
04-24-2014, 08:47 PM
Congratulations! This sounds very interesting!

rhettyeakley
04-24-2014, 08:57 PM
Thrilled about this even though not baseball (yet, you might say, involving one of the true all-time heavy hitters): The acclaimed new film that I co-produced, "Following the Ninth," is being screened in Cooperstown on May 18 as part of a community-wide celebration and benefit for the local Food Pantry. I'll be speaking that night and at local schools the next day. I've also written a book with the director of the film, Kerry Candaele.

If that name strikes a chord--yes, he is the brother of longtime big leaguer Casey Candaele. And Kerry earlier helped create the documentary "A League of Their," later turned into a certain Hollywood hit. Kerry's mom was one of the original stars portrayed (in composite) in the Tom Hanks film and he provided some material for the exhibit at the Hall...

Completing this cycle...my book about managing my son in Little League, "Joy in Mudville," is part of the collection at the Hall. It was optioned for a Hollywood film by...Tom Hanks. And two years ago I went to the wedding of one of the kids, "RBI Keiser," featured in the book....in Cooperstown at the Otesaga....

Here's link to the May 18 event:

http://cooperstownfoodpantry.org/critically-acclaimed-film-to-premiere-in-cooperstown/

Funny, many years ago I remember reading an article about Casey Candaele (probably in SI or something) where he went into having been taught to play baseball by his MOTHER not his father, not sure why I remember that story from so long ago but it stuck with me for some odd reason. I would remember that story every time I saw one of Casey's cards.

GregMitch34
04-24-2014, 11:21 PM
His mom was tall, thin, lefty hitter, likened to Ted Williams. Some fun stories about the annual parents' day at school in California when teachers would play the parents on the ball field. Uh...who's that MOTHER....

slipk1068
04-25-2014, 07:09 AM
Would love to get there on May 18, but I doubt it will happen. Sometimes, life gets in the way.

Michael Peich
04-25-2014, 08:04 AM
Greg--

Congratulations, and for many of the things that mean a lot to me, too, including Beethoven. I would attend, but May 18 is my birthday and I'm celebrating it at the Phillies-Reds game with my wife and another friend, also born May 18.

Have a wonderful event in Cooperstown!

Cheers,
Mike

npa589
04-25-2014, 04:27 PM
Greg:

Congratulations on this achievement! Also, if we ever meet, I'd love to discuss Beethoven's 9th with you. I've performed it both in the choir and as a soloist, and it is my favorite musical work. I could go on and on about it, and am now going to re-listen to my version with Karajan conducting!

GregMitch34
04-25-2014, 05:10 PM
I am in Berlin now visiting daughter and grandson...just today visited Beethoven's statue in the Tiergarten...one of the major segments in the film, and chapter in our book, focuses on a young East Berlin woman growing up in the '70 and '80s and Bernstein coming to Berlin to play the 9th as the Wall came down....

team-of-rivals
04-25-2014, 05:25 PM
Wow to all of this! Greg, I was given your book years ago by a girlfriend after my first summer as a my nephews Little League coach. I've read more books related to baseball in some way than I'll ever recall. Yours I remember- It hit so close to home and the laughs were many. Great work and congrats on your recent endeavor as well as being honored at the Hall.

GregMitch34
04-25-2014, 10:42 PM
Thanks, appreciate that. Four years after the season in that book I took a Little League team team to the state finals, the first in our area to do that. More laughs: We lost to a team whose star turned out to be UNDER age, and were later dropped from the tourney. My son made team was decided not to play to go to a summer film camp. Good move--he's now in L.A. and doing great in film/game industry....So ya never know...

GregMitch34
05-12-2014, 08:58 PM
Bump to add that now it is this coming Sunday....

Maybe you'll enjoy this:

http://www.net54baseball.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=144399&stc=1&d=1399949877

williamcohon
05-14-2014, 04:57 AM
First, congratulations for your accomplishments and honors.

As a classically trained violinist, I spent several years performing in a symphony orchestra before turning to teaching. Anyway, the stats on the card caught my eye. Beethoven is erroneously credited with seventeen string quartets.

Der Grosse Fugue, originally published as part of the Opus 130, is now most often performed separately. But it is a single movement, and as such is not counted as a string quartet. Unless Ludvig comes back for another season, his career total will stay at sixteen.

So, I guess that makes it an error card?

GregMitch34
05-14-2014, 08:14 AM
Ha, you are correct on the string quartets....

But Beethoven was indeed a true "slugger." Also, quite "crafty." But ended up like Curtis Pride--could not hear but still could track the ball.

GregMitch34
05-17-2014, 06:10 AM
Just changed heading to reflect screening it tomorrow...Having lunch with mayor and getting tour of the Hall...selling books and DVDs, money to the food pantry....

Deertick
05-17-2014, 06:55 AM
Looks like Bob Hope from one of the "Road' movies. :D