PDA

View Full Version : 1955 Bowman size question?

Hot Springs Bathers
04-22-2014, 10:49 AM
Last week I picked a large group of 1955 Bowmans that came from outside the hobby. They were in wonderful condition but I noticed 10 of them were about 1/8" shorter than the others.

I retrieved several 55 Bowmans from my albums and compared measurements with the 250 or so that seemed normal and they indeed matched up perfectly.

Were some 55 Bowmans miscut shorter when issued? I have never ever heard that so these 10 must have been trimmed at some point I guess?

savedfrommyspokes
04-22-2014, 11:07 AM
In building my 55 Bowman set, to this point, I have gone through several thousand cards from this issue obtained from numerous sources. I have consistently come across cards (approx a third) in each group that were short (most 1/8 inch) in either both or one direction, as well as some cards that were slightly longer in one or both directions. Of the cards that were shorter, most of them were commons in mid grade condition (or less).....so not very likely to be candidates for a trim job.

By finding some cards slightly longer and some slightly shorter in a direction or two, this would lead me to believe that Bowman experienced some issues in 55 with their cutting of sheets yielding some cards shorter and some cards longer. While working on the 54 Bowman set, I did not notice this much disparity in card size.

The apparent sheet cutting issues at Bowman in 55 does not mean there are not trim jobs out there with the 55s....

oaks1912
04-22-2014, 11:23 AM
Mike...Both the '54 & '55 Bowmans have considerable variation in size, both under and over the size quoted in the various checklists. Check the edges on the back side as it is easier to detect trimming from the back. Has anybody ever assembled a NM-Mt set of '55's that measure out precisely the same ? Thats a set I would DEFINITELY pass on.... :)

Hot Springs Bathers
04-22-2014, 02:18 PM
Mark & Spokes- Thanks a million for the info! That gives me ten more cards towards a really nice set. That ten included the tougher Palica and Skowron!

I just assumed they might be timmed, tonight I will have the chance to put them under the glass to check the edges.

This has been a two week period of when it rains it pours, the same gentleman sold me near 53, 54 & 55 Topps sets in the same shape. Sure wish he had started collecting in 52!

autograf
04-24-2014, 08:21 AM
Most of the variation that I have in the set I'm working on for '55B seems to be more left to right.....that is horizontally.....I don't see as much variation in the T/B sizing.....just my take....about 60% done with the set.

Hot Springs Bathers
04-24-2014, 09:57 AM
Tom- That is exactly what I found on these.