PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recognize the stadium or photographer?

Scott Garner
04-21-2014, 08:33 PM
I just received this photo image of Johnny Vander Meer in 1938 that I have not seen.

Does anyone recognize the baseball stadium that this photo was taken at?
How about the photographer?

PLMK
Thanks in advance for your help!

Scott

thecatspajamas
04-21-2014, 08:42 PM
Is it a photo, or a negative? Size? Proportions of the negative look like 5"x7", which would rule out some if that's the case. Also appears to be acetate or nitrate rather than glass plate (probably to be expected by that time). Any history at all on where it came from?

Bumpus Jones
04-21-2014, 08:42 PM
Beautiful photo Scott! Polo Grounds?

Scott Garner
04-22-2014, 08:42 AM
Is it a photo, or a negative? Size? Proportions of the negative look like 5"x7", which would rule out some if that's the case. Also appears to be acetate or nitrate rather than glass plate (probably to be expected by that time). Any history at all on where it came from?

Hi Lance,
This is a photo print from about 20 or years ago (perhaps longer) that must have been made from an original neg by ??

FWIW, I have seen several photo prints of Vandy produced in exactly the same way. In total I have seen 15-20 different images, all originally taken in the 1937-1941 time frame.

Scott Garner
04-22-2014, 08:44 AM
Beautiful photo Scott! Polo Grounds?

Chris,

Thanks! Great guess. You are correct about this being the Polo Grounds. Graig Kreindler send me a PM confirming this last night...