PDA

View Full Version : EBay Seller Reputation

carlsonjok
04-19-2014, 08:01 PM
As I may have mentioned before, I am working on getting cards from my 1963 Fleer baseball set autographed. One of the challenges is the nearly 20 cards of now deceased players. I have managed to pick a few up and have found a couple more on Ebay. But, I wanted to check in with this group regarding the sellers reputation.

I found a Gene Freese listed by seller tswmu and a Steve Barber listed by seller isellpsadna. What is odd about the second one is the listing says that it "will come with a copy of a JSA James Spence Auction Letter of Authenticity." The seller had a negative feedback for only providing a copy of an LOA instead of the LOA itself. Maybe I am paranoid, but that seems to be a bit of a red flag.

Any feedback?

parker1b2
04-19-2014, 08:37 PM
Sometimes when they say a copy of a JSA letter could mean they bought the autograph as part of a lot at an auction, and one letter was issued for the entire lot of autographs. Then when the buyer of the lot tries to flip it and sell the autos individually, they only provide a copy since they only have the one letter.

earlywynnfan
04-19-2014, 09:35 PM
Sometimes when they say a copy of a JSA letter could mean they bought the autograph as part of a lot at an auction, and one letter was issued for the entire lot of autographs. Then when the buyer of the lot tries to flip it and sell the autos individually, they only provide a copy since they only have the one letter.

This is exactly what I do when I sell from a group lot. To me, leaving a negative when the seller clearly states this is pretty crummy.

If you are nervous, email the seller. Since this is from a group lot, obviously they won it at an auction, and perhaps they can provide the link, so you can see exactly where it came from.

(A few years ago, I had a buyer leave me a negative because "all my autos look like they were written by the same pen and in the same hand," even though the ball he won had a link to the Hunt Auction page where you could see the exact ball!!! I don't get some people!)

Ken

prewarsports
04-19-2014, 09:40 PM
I do that all the time too. If I get an autograph book which is certified then I remove pages I will include a copy of the COA with each page if the buyer wants.

jimjim
04-19-2014, 09:55 PM
I have purchased from isellpsadna, and I have never had an issue.

Scott Garner
04-20-2014, 04:53 AM
Steve Barber's autograph is certainly not a rare one.

Please post a photo of it on here and I 'm sure I can confirm if it is real. Don't worry about the cert; focus on the signature, FWIW...

RichardSimon
04-20-2014, 07:16 AM
tswmu is one of the best people in the hobby.
Have no fear in buying from him.

carlsonjok
04-20-2014, 08:16 AM
Steve Barber's autograph is certainly not a rare one.

Please post a photo of it on here and I 'm sure I can confirm if it is real. Don't worry about the cert; focus on the signature, FWIW...

I already pulled the trigger on the Barber, but here is the image:

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/4/1/7/1/0/2/webimg/743611438_o.jpg?nc=670

I'm still looking over the Freese. The location of the G over the top of the player icon makes it hard to compare against.

http://thmb.inkfrog.com/thumbn/autographrarities/S35-1963FleerSingles1.jpg=600

Scott Garner
04-20-2014, 09:03 AM
That's definitely Barber's sig. Nice pickup!

shelly
04-20-2014, 10:29 AM
I hate those auction letters that describe more than one item. I have seen those letters sent out with the worst forgerys.:mad:

carlsonjok
04-20-2014, 01:36 PM
That's definitely Barber's sig. Nice pickup!

That will be my 31st autographed card from the set and 5th from a deceased player. A friend helped me find addresses for 10 more to go after TTM.

My white whales are Willie Mays and Sandy Koufax. There haven't been any public signings with them since I started this project.

almostdone
04-20-2014, 07:11 PM
Good luck with the project. Sounds like it would be an obtainable yet challenging one. I always liked that set.
Drew

prewarsports
04-20-2014, 10:31 PM
To echo what Drew said, that is indeed a fairly "doable" project unlike many of the more expansive Topps issues. Obviously the Clemente will be a tough one to get, but they do surface and beside that you are looking and some mid-level toughies like Ferrell, Howser, Boyer and Pinson. I believe I have seen everybody from the set at one time or another, its just going to take some patience and being opportunistic (buy em when you see em). Good luck, sounds like a great and fun project!

Rhys

TyrusRCobb
04-29-2014, 07:59 AM
I have purchased from isellpsadna, and I have never had an issue.

As have I.