PDA

View Full Version : Odd Wagner Picture

bobbvc
04-17-2014, 10:31 PM
Approx. postcard size but thin, almost photo paper. Posted this once before but still don't know what it is. Any ideas?

CW
04-17-2014, 11:03 PM
Cool piece -- love the hats. :)

A quick google search on Wagner and Dawson Springs Kentucky showed this....

Dawson Springs' Riverside Park, sometimes called Tradewater Park, was originally built in 1914 to serve as a spring training park for the Pittsburgh Pirates from 1914 to 1917. This is the only known baseball park in Kentucky to have hosted a major league team since the Louisville Colonels folded in 1899. While the original stadium was destroyed in a 1930's flood, it was later rebuilt in 1999. The park was reconstructed out of wood, just like the original stadium. It is the only ballpark of its kind in Western Kentucky. Riverside Park is now home to the Tradewater Pirates. Hall of Famer Honus Wagner, who trained on this field for 3 years, organized a team of local young boys known as "Honus Wagners' Young Recruits." Babe Ruth, "Shoeless" Joe Jackson, Casey Stengel, and Ty Cobb also played baseball in Dawson Springs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riverside_Park,_Dawson_Springs

shernan30
04-18-2014, 05:34 AM
That is a really cool postcard!!

WillowGrove
04-18-2014, 06:46 AM
Approx. postcard size but thin, almost photo paper. Posted this once before but still don't know what it is. Any ideas?

So weird. I love it.

It looks like an obvious postcard Bob but if you're saying there's no postcard back, I don't know what else it could be. Maybe the postcard has been skinned and the back removed so you're left with a thinner piece of paper?

Cool item Bob. Nice research Chuck!

drcy
04-18-2014, 10:31 AM
I think (guess) it's a postcard, or quasi postcard. Postcards usually had, but didn't require any printing on back. The postcard text was custom not law-- after all, envelopes didn't and don't require any printing. I've seen old blank backed items, including 3x5 index cards, that had been used as postcards. The reason we know the era of the 'Pinkerton Postcards' and Pinkerton Scorecards is the blank backed ones were sometimes used as postcards and have on back the postmark, along with handwritten note and address. Some people originally wondered if they were more modern, but a couple of postally used ones confirmed the 1910s dating. The front of the Wagner resembles a standard souvenir postcard. You didn't show the back, but, if there is no text at all, realize that souvenir postcards were often sold in booklets (the proverbial and sometimes literal 'Pack of 10') and the company/issuer name would not have had to be listed on each individual card.

At sale I'd call it a 'postcard or similar souvenir-type print.'

steve B
04-18-2014, 05:56 PM
It's probably a postcard that's lost its back.

I Bought a batch of postcards from the same time period and a few had been damp at some point. The fronts and backs were neatly separated with none of the stuff I'd expect to see from being skinned.

Steve B

Leon
04-19-2014, 09:56 AM
Reminds me of the SNL skit, Coneheads.

bobbvc
04-20-2014, 11:33 AM
It's probably a postcard that's lost its back.

I Bought a batch of postcards from the same time period and a few had been damp at some point. The fronts and backs were neatly separated with none of the stuff I'd expect to see from being skinned.

Steve B

Here's the back- none of the stuff I would expect to see if it was skinned either. Or maybe it's just an extremely thin postcard w/o any postcard printing? I doubt that one though.