PDA

View Full Version : 1960 Leaf Question

Gr8Beldini
04-15-2014, 08:59 AM
I have a bunch of real nice 60 Leaf that I'd like to list for sale, but they all measure a tiny bit short of the standard 2 1/2 x 3 1/2. Normally I'd think I bought a bad lot, but every other card from that set I see at the shows measure exactly the same - a tiny bit short. Now I have an opportunity to purchase a large lot of gems at a real good price, but again they measure a bit short.

My question: Is the shorter size accepted (particularly by the grading companies)? I have no intention of getting them graded. I just want to avoid listing them as "miscut" if indeed they are not miscut. If there is somebody reading this that has a few graded examples, could you please measure those against a regular issue Topps card and let me know if there is a size differential. If there is anyone else out there that has experience w/ 60 L's your feedback would be appreciated as well.

Thank you in advance... JB

mckinneyj
04-15-2014, 09:50 AM
None graded, but the 100 or so that I have are all a tad shorter and narrower than Topps cards.

ALR-bishop
04-15-2014, 10:13 AM
JB---do you by chance have a Hale Smith ( St Louis) black out variation for sale ? :)

Gr8Beldini
04-15-2014, 10:28 AM
JB---do you by chance have a Hale Smith ( St Louis) black out variation for sale ? :)

No. I know that one is killer tough.

CamaroDMD
04-15-2014, 10:42 AM
I have no knowledge of the tolerances of this set's size...but it almost sounds like the cards might be trimmed. Again, I could be COMPLETELY wrong as I don't collect this set. But, that was the first thought I had.

Gr8Beldini
04-15-2014, 12:57 PM
I have no knowledge of the tolerances of this set's size...but it almost sounds like the cards might be trimmed. Again, I could be COMPLETELY wrong as I don't collect this set. But, that was the first thought I had.

My initial thought as well however, I see quite a few of these at different shows, as well as the ones I own. They are all cut the same size (slightly smaller). My reason for posting is to find out if anyone has cards from this set that measure 2 1/2 x 3 1/2. Until I find somebody with properly cut cards from this set, I am inclined to think the standard for the set is slightly smaller than the standard Topps card. Anyone?

savedfrommyspokes
04-15-2014, 02:53 PM
I have about 50 of the first series of these Leaf cards in VG-EX to EX shape. The 25 or so I checked all measured up short both l/r and t/b. The variances varied slightly from card to card. Not likely someone would have trimmed cards in the condition of my cards, or would cards in so many others collection also be trimmed. The size of these cards is likely due to whatever cutting procedure was used for this set. The cutting of this set reminds me of the cuts that are typically found with 60-61 Fleer baseball and football cards. The most noticeable difference between the cuts of these Leaf cards and 60-61 Fleer cards is that some of the Fleer cards are found larger(possibly due to handcutting), smaller, as well as the correct size.

Gr8Beldini
04-22-2014, 08:21 AM
Thank you to those that responded. I was really hoping to hear from somebody thay has some graded cards from this set. Are these cards shy of the standard 2 1/2 x 3 1/2? If so, that would tell me that the lot I have the opportunity to purchase is legitimate, and not miscut. From what I've seen and gathered from this post, '60 Leaf cards are cut uniformly, but shy of the standard Topps issues. Thank you in advance... JB

pclpads
04-22-2014, 04:02 PM
I have three graded, one PSA #25; and two SGC #58 and 125. All are approx. 1/16" shy each way. None were given the mc qualifier.

Gr8Beldini
04-22-2014, 06:43 PM
I have three graded, one PSA #25; and two SGC #58 and 125. All are approx. 1/16" shy each way. None were given the mc qualifier.

That was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.