PDA

View Full Version : Normally red background T206's with Brown HINDU backs that have Orange backgrounds

tedzan
04-12-2014, 07:06 PM
I know we have discussed this phenomena before (especially regarding Merkle), but it appears to me that it is more often seen with HINDU
cards than with other T206's (PIEDMONT, SWEET CAP, SOVEREIGN, etc.) in the 150 Series. If so, why is this so ?

I've had several of these Orange printing errors with HINDU backs. Listed here are several examples that I recall......

Bridwell (portrait-no cap)
Brown (portrait)
Chance (red portrait)
Devlin
Merkle (portrait)

These guys happen to be Major Leaguers, but I'm sure there are red background Southern Leaguers (HINDU) with the similar Orange effect.

Hey guys,
How's about re-examining this Red/Orange phenomena with T206 HINDU's a bit more. Show and/or tell us of your Red/Orange experiences.

TED Z

CMIZ5290
04-12-2014, 07:32 PM
Ted- Why does this occur with the Hindu series so frequently?

tedzan
04-12-2014, 07:57 PM
I don't know....and, that's why I started this thread in order to hear what ideas others here may have regarding this phenomena..

TED Z

ullmandds
04-13-2014, 06:26 AM
great title! i'm havng of mice and men flashbacks!

DerekMichael
04-13-2014, 01:07 PM
I know I have said this before, but I have a Hindu Waddell portrait and the blue honestly appears much lighter than the other examples I have had in terms of the backs (almost a powder blue compared to a royal blue). Based on this experience, to me, it is not just the reds that have this characteristic when it comes to Hindu.

No clue why this happens, or why American Beauty's are truly more narrow, or why a lot of Tolstoi's seem to have wet sheet transfers on the front etc. etc., but I would love to know why these things occur.

I do not think our eyes are playing tricks on us.

Derek

toppcat
04-13-2014, 01:30 PM
It would seem the Hindu's came later in the print run as the ink was running a little thin. That would explain the orange backgrounds as well I have to think.

tedzan
04-13-2014, 07:13 PM
great title! i'm havng of mice and men flashbacks!

Hey Pete

My recollections of Steinbeck's writings are quite rusty....so, clue me in....what does this thread's title have to do with whatever ?

TED Z

MVSNYC
04-13-2014, 07:35 PM
No clue why this happens, or why American Beauty's are truly more narrow...

Derek

Derek- I was always under the impression that AB's were trimmed because their cigarette packs were thinner than other brands.

DerekMichael
04-13-2014, 08:26 PM
Derek- I was always under the impression that AB's were trimmed because their cigarette packs were thinner than other brands.

I have heard this as well.

Are the packs actually thinner? I have never seen an actual pack in the flesh, so I cannot make any judgment. Have you seen a pack and feel they are more narrow?

Thank you for the input.

So many quirky little mysteries in the Monster.

ullmandds
04-13-2014, 08:29 PM
sorry ted...i wasn't implying the title had anything to do with steinbeck...just the initial exchange?

tedzan
04-14-2014, 05:09 AM
sorry ted...i wasn't implying the title had anything to do with steinbeck...just the initial exchange?

Pete

I dig it....now.

Take care, my friend,

TED Z

srs1a
04-14-2014, 10:22 AM
Griffith also has an orange-ish background with a Brown Hindu back.

http://photos.imageevent.com/ltsgallery/memberfolderssv/srs1a/t206hofers/websize/griffith_hindu.jpg

I've also noticed that it isn't confined to just portraits (not surprising) -- note Flick's lips with the Hindu back -vs- an OM back.

http://photos.imageevent.com/ltsgallery/memberfolderssv/srs1a/t206hofers/websize/flick_brown_hindu.jpeg

http://photos.imageevent.com/ltsgallery/memberfolderssv/srs1a/t206hofers/websize/flick.jpg

Sean
01-07-2015, 02:21 PM
Hey Ted, I bumped your thread because I found a couple Hindus with the orange hue. I've also seen a Chance, though I don't own it.

I can't find any Southern Leaguers with the orange, however.

Jobu
01-07-2015, 02:39 PM
REA had a nice Hindu Tinker that is also orange:

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2008/242.html

Sean
01-07-2015, 03:09 PM
Very cool Bryan. I hadn't seen this color variation on a Tinker until now.

Luke
01-07-2015, 03:37 PM
Yeah, the Hindu backgrounds are usually a different shade regardless of color. The red backgrounds stick out a lot more than some of the other variations though.

Notice the different shades of blue on my Waddells. Also, Wallace's uniform looks brown on the Hindu, and gray on the Sovereign, and the Sovereign has more pronounced shading on his neck.

Clarke and Willis portraits tend to look a little on the purple side with a hindu back. I didn't have any comparisons for those cards though.

AJR
01-07-2015, 08:11 PM
I have often wondered about this phenomenon with the Hindu cards and orange backgrounds that should be red in tone.

As the owner of many prints of all nature from the late 1800's and early 1900's I have seen many items that one would assume should be identical but are run in slightly (sometimes severely) different colors.

Based on conversations with printmakers and personal research I have found that in print runs at the turn of the century printers would frequently use different inks from different dye lots.

This would occur if they ran out of a certain color during a sprint run or often when starting a new run.

It is my understanding that unlike today, with modern printing techniques, back in the day it wasn't always so important that all the prints of a run matched one another exactly.

So, in order to answer the question originally posed we need to determine if all Hindu back cards have the same color anomaly.

Let's concentrate on the red background portraits that are orange. Attached is a pick of an Elberfeld Hindu I own with a clearly orange background. We need to ask two questions to get started.

1. Does anyone own a Hindu Elberfeld with a truly dark red background?
2. Does anyone own another Elberfeld Hindu with an orange background?

Should other board members have orange backed Hindu Elberfeld we can assume that all hindu Elberfelds are orange. If other members have a truly red Hindu Elberfeld we know that there are variations out there... Then it gets complicated...

But to get back to the original point, there is no reason to believe that all the colors on all the cards ever printed match, there is also no reason to believe that the print masters running the shops were concerned with all the cards being exactly the same... Remember the card was the throw away gift in the pack of cigarettes, not the main item being purchased.

Let's see some Elberfelds and hear some thoughts.

MVSNYC
01-07-2015, 08:30 PM
Waddell is definitely lighter (blue background) on Hindu. Here's mine (Hi Luke :))