PDA

View Full Version : Distraction after Dad's passing

Tomman1961
04-12-2014, 07:25 AM
I had posted this on post - war, as that is where I usually am. Sadly I lost my Dad this past Tuesday. I just want to say how much I enjoy looking at your collections and reading posts. BB is a nice distraction at this time.

ruth-gehrig
04-12-2014, 07:37 AM
Very sorry to hear that! Many thoughts and prayers be with you!!

slidekellyslide
04-12-2014, 07:42 AM
My condolences on your loss. I lost my dad 23 years ago and still think of him every day.

MyGuyTy
04-12-2014, 07:44 AM
Sorry to hear of your dad's passing, nothing is tougher in life than dealing with the passing of a loved one. Thoughts are with you and your family.

Leon
04-12-2014, 07:55 AM
Sorry to hear of your loss. My sincere condolences. A lot of us aren't young whippersnappers anymore so the mortality thing does rear it's ugly head up. I have lost a lot of family in the last several years so can understand. Cherish the memories and they will never be gone completely.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
04-12-2014, 07:59 AM
Sorry for your loss. Losing a loves one is never an easy thing. My grandmother and I were thick as thieves and there are times that I forget she is gone.

yanksfan09
04-12-2014, 08:22 AM
Very sorry for your loss.

emmygirl
04-12-2014, 08:50 AM
So sorry to hear of your loss. Our prayers and thoughts go out to you and all your family, freinds and loved ones.

smrtn240
04-12-2014, 09:14 AM
Sorry to hear of your loss. This place can be a nice distraction during tough times. I can relate as I myself lost my dad one year ago this past Thursday.

barrysloate
04-12-2014, 09:20 AM
My condolences to you too. I've lost both my parents, and it is a difficult thing to go through.

shernan30
04-12-2014, 09:36 AM
So sorry for your loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ullmandds
04-12-2014, 10:52 AM
my condolences tom...my dad is experiencing some heavy duty health issues and the thought of him being gone is too hard to fathom! diversion is essential!

RTK
04-12-2014, 11:03 AM
Sorry to hear of your loss, April 12th of '95 my mom passed away, May 19th of '07 my dad passed away...yes, baseball in spring is a great distraction.

Remember the good times

Craig M.
04-12-2014, 11:21 AM
Hi Tom,

During difficult times in my life; I always seem to turn to my baseball collection and start building sets again.

Even if you don't have the funds to buy cards, you can occupy your mind by doing research and that's what I do with T206's.

I have to tell you from experience that it does work and it also helps with the healing process.

Good luck,

Craig M.

familytoad
04-12-2014, 12:15 PM
Tom, I certainly feel bad for you and for your family as you struggle with this loss.

As many have dealt with the inevitable passing of loved ones already, even those who haven't., unfortunately they will :(

My mom passed a month and a half ago, I am still in shock, disbelief and pain.

Folks say it takes time, so I'll pass those words on to you as well.

I'm glad we all do have this hobby as distractions. It works for me most of the time...i hope it does for you too!

wolf441
04-12-2014, 12:58 PM
My sincere condolences Tom,

The board is certainly a diversion from the pain of loss. My dad passed away two years ago. The grief does pass, but the sense of loss remains just under the surface. There are still times when I find myself ready to pick up the phone during a Red Sox or Patriots game to talk with him. Thoughts and prayers during this extremely tough time.

irishdenny
04-12-2014, 01:47 PM
My Good Fellow Tom,

You are So Right... When it comes to the Net54 Baseball Boards, I am able to set aside life and lose myself for a bit of time amidst the reality of "Life is Loss".

I feel your thoughts my friend & my prayers are with You & Yours!
May Your Spirit be at ease... and know that you are not alone...

As Always...

brightair
04-12-2014, 02:42 PM
Sorry to hear about your dad, hope you have lots of good memories to keep you company.
Lost my dad 20 years ago this year and my mom 10 years ago this month.
Think of them all the time and always come up with questions I wished I'd asked them and new things in my life I would love to be able to share with them.
I am blessed that I had them to bring me up and, as the Buddha supposedly said, if you carry your parents on your back for the rest of your life you can never repay them for all they've done for you.
Certainly is true in my case, and I try to pay it forward, since I have been given so much.
Richard D

joeadcock
04-13-2014, 03:00 PM
Tom

May God help you in this tough time for you. I will pray for you.

Sincerely

mrvster
04-13-2014, 03:41 PM
very sorry to hear of your loss....T206 always keep my mind distracted.....hang in there...I lost my dad in ' 93 and visited his grave yesterday....still think of him every day....email if you need to chat

peace

Johnny

deadballpaul
04-15-2014, 06:58 AM
My sincere condolences. I lost my Dad almost 3 years ago. I live in AZ, & I didn't go to a single spring training game this year. I still have a hard time going without him.

tedzan
04-15-2014, 07:51 AM
GOD Bless your Dad's soul....and, comfort you and your family.

TED Z

jerseygary
04-15-2014, 08:20 AM
I want to offer my condolences for your Father's passing. I know how you feel about baseball helping you get through (or at least get a break from) the sadness - my own Father passed away suddenly in October of 2011. He and I were very close, especially since I graduated college and although we lived on other sides of the country, talked at least 4-5 times a week. Baseball and its rich history was our "bond" and when he left I had no one to share that with. No one around me had an interest in obscure ballplayers and odd trivia. Out of my grief and loneliness, I started writing and illustrating a blog, which I had never done before, nor had an interest in, but it helped me cope with his death.

I did it solely for myself, almost like continuing the baseball talks we had when he was alive. It helped me not to dwell on the horribleness of it all, how unfair it was and focus my free time on drawing and writing. But suddenly, after just a week or two, hundreds of people were following the blog and writing me emails - and I soon found I wasn't alone in my interest in those bits of trivia and odd players. Especially touching were the notes from Dads who used the stories and drawings on my site to get their own boys (and girls) interested in the game they loved. It made me a little less sad when I realized that Fathers were using the site to do what my own Father had done for me long ago. The website's success brought me to a book contract a few months ago and now I will be able to bring that love of baseball that my Dad gave to me years ago to many more people, and when I sit down and really think about it, it's pretty neat.

The friends that I made through the site of course didn't replace my Father, but it did make his memory continue on in not only my mind, but many others who never knew him. I wish you the very best and again, my condolences to you and your family.

-Gary C.