PDA

View Full Version : Who is more forgiving on corner dings?

tschock
04-10-2014, 01:36 PM
Quick question for opinions on this and then the thread can fade to black.

Talking pre-war cards here. When considering the overall grading of a card, who is more forgiving on corner dings? PSA or SGC? Or haven't you noticed any real difference?

Ladder7
04-10-2014, 02:23 PM
Grading is consistent throughout the hobby.

cockrellcollection
04-10-2014, 02:23 PM
In my experience they both have plenty of examples that make it difficult to argue for one specifically but I think SGC is the more consistent with holding higher standards as regards corners.

This is only based on my experience in searching and buying graded and many other may have had different experiences.

doug.goodman
04-10-2014, 03:17 PM
Grading is consistent throughout the hobby.

+1

glchen
04-10-2014, 03:41 PM
IMHO, for higher grade cards (EXMT 6 or above), I believe SGC is slightly more forgiving for corner touches and dings if the overall eye appeal of the card warrants that grade.

auggiedoggy
04-10-2014, 05:28 PM
IMHO, for higher grade cards (EXMT 6 or above), I believe SGC is slightly more forgiving for corner touches and dings if the overall eye appeal of the card warrants that grade.

I agree. From the graded cards I've seen from both PSA and SGC, SGC is definitely the more forgiving of the two.

wonkaticket
04-10-2014, 05:46 PM
Coin toss....

peterb69
04-11-2014, 01:12 PM
This is why I hate graded cards.

brianp-beme
04-11-2014, 01:17 PM
Forget grading companies...I am more forgiving when it comes to corner dings, and heck, corner rounding and smunching.

Brian

glynparson
04-11-2014, 02:02 PM
Psa used to be the more lenient on dings, I feel SGC has almost always been more lenient on wear. I feel that over the last year or two PSA may actually be more strict on bumps and wear. This does not mean I feel PSA is being more accurate in fact I feel many of the recent grades are too strict/harsh.

ls7plus
04-13-2014, 03:17 PM
Psa used to be the more lenient on dings, I feel SGC has almost always been more lenient on wear. I feel that over the last year or two PSA may actually be more strict on bumps and wear. This does not mean I feel PSA is being more accurate in fact I feel many of the recent grades are too strict/harsh.

+1. IMHO, eye appeal will loom ever larger.

Best wishes,

Larry

Leon
04-14-2014, 09:44 AM
I agree on "toss up". No doubt you can find cards to show any point of reference from both companies. Even within a grading company there can be different cards that are addressed differently. :confused: