PDA

View Full Version : Approximate value of this Gil Hodges ball?

Luke
04-09-2014, 07:19 PM
Hi guys,

I'm starting to go through my autograph collection to sell some of it off. Most of it isn't worth too much, but this Hodges ball is probably an exception. I don't have any doubts about it's authenticity. I'll get it authenticated before i sell it, but that will just be a formality. It has Hodges on one panel and Wally Moon on another. It was obtained in LA in 1969 and looks to be an official NL ball from that year.
If anyone would be so kind as to take a look at it and give me a general idea of what its worth, I would be very grateful. Thanks for looking!

Luke

Luke
05-05-2014, 06:21 PM
I'm planning to sell this and use the money for my pre-war card collection. Any ideas on value? Any suggestions for which auction house to use if I go that route? Really appreciate any help. I haven't been in the autograph portion of the hobby for quite awhile.

Luke
06-12-2014, 12:35 AM
I got my PSA paperwork back, and threw the ball up on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gil-Hodges-signed-autograph-1959-ONL-baseball-PSA-DNA-LOOKS-SINGLE-SIGNED-/141316735608?pt=US_Autographs&hash=item20e7224278

I still wouldn't mind hearing if anyone has an idea of what it's worth. I priced it high just because I don't really know what it's worth. Did I get zero replies just because something like this varies greatly in value?

toyman55
06-12-2014, 06:49 AM
So do you mind if I ask how you arrived at the price you want for it. No offense but I have never seen a Hodges ball go for that much anywhere.
But good luck to you.

packs
06-12-2014, 07:59 AM
My guess would be $200 to $250. Just my opinion.

Deertick
06-12-2014, 08:22 AM

I think a little lower, more like $150-$200. Looks game used?

keithsky
06-12-2014, 08:24 AM
To me the value drops because it isn't a single signed Hodges. If it were I would guess between 400-800.00 depending on what someone would pay. I'm looking for a single signed ball and would pay those prices but since it isn't would think it is only worth 200-300.00. If you look at team signed balls with Hodges on the sweet spot they aren't worth that much.

Scott Garner
06-12-2014, 08:55 AM
To me the value drops because it isn't a single signed Hodges. If it were I would guess between 400-800.00 depending on what someone would pay. I'm looking for a single signed ball and would pay those prices but since it isn't would think it is only worth 200-300.00. If you look at team signed balls with Hodges on the sweet spot they aren't worth that much.

I would tend to agree with Keith on his assessment, FWIW...

bender07
06-12-2014, 09:01 AM

Agreed on $200-250, the price on ebay is way high.

Luke
06-12-2014, 09:27 AM
ok, thanks guys

Runscott
06-12-2014, 09:35 AM
So do you mind if I ask how you arrived at the price you want for it. No offense but I have never seen a Hodges ball go for that much anywhere.
But good luck to you.

He asked for the forum's advice on value once a month for three months and received no response. Now that he's put a price on it, everyone seems to know what it's worth :confused:

Good luck, Luke.

shelly
06-12-2014, 09:53 AM
I would see that ball going for over five thousand. It has wally moon on it.:eek:

btcarfagno
06-12-2014, 09:57 AM
I think a little lower, more like $150-$200. Looks game used?

I agree with this value. $150 or a bit more. The rough condition of the ball added to the fact that it is not a single. Still a nice piece to display as a single for far less than the cost of an actual single.

Tom C

Duluth Eskimo
06-12-2014, 01:15 PM
He asked for the forum's advice on value once a month for three months and received no response. Now that he's put a price on it, everyone seems to know what it's worth :confused:

Good luck, Luke.

+1. The guy was looking for advice and the board failed him. Then he prices it high and gets hammered by the same board. I really don't get it. I also don't understand why anyone really cares what anyone prices their stuff at, but it sure seems to get people all whipped up.

Scott Garner
06-12-2014, 01:42 PM
The fact that Luke listed the Gil Hodges ball too high is not a deal breaker.
He can easily change the BIN price or end the auction and relist it.

No big deal other than adjusting one's expectations of what the ball will bring in auction... ;)

bender07
06-12-2014, 01:59 PM
+1. The guy was looking for advice and the board failed him. Then he prices it high and gets hammered by the same board. I really don't get it. I also don't understand why anyone really cares what anyone prices their stuff at, but it sure seems to get people all whipped up.

I never saw the original request but I doubt many thought he'd be asking two grand for it. Not sure how the board failed him. He can simply change his BIN price so he doesn't scare off potential buyers. I would say the board has helped him out.

packs
06-12-2014, 02:01 PM
I didn't notice it was an old thread until it became a thing. One person said something negative.

I did however give my opinion of value without hammering him on his asking price.

Luke
06-12-2014, 02:14 PM
Only one guy gave his opinion in a way that implied he thought I was an idiot. Thank you to everyone else. And thanks Scott, I wanted to reply in a much harsher way than you did, but I'm trying to refrain from getting into internet arguments this week :)

Runscott
06-12-2014, 03:11 PM
Only one guy gave his opinion in a way that implied he thought I was an idiot. Thank you to everyone else. And thanks Scott, I wanted to reply in a much harsher way than you did, but I'm trying to refrain from getting into internet arguments this week :)

Agreed on staying out of internet arguments. If you weren't a friend I would have kept my trap shut :)

Fuddjcal
06-13-2014, 11:30 AM

you're certainly not an idiot, just a greedy slob:D and Eddie Dream Weaver, but not an idiot. I agree that a single signed Hodges on the sweet spot of an Official NL Ball, might bring 700-1500 or maybe even 2K on a good day. Wally Moonshot hurts the value and the ball has more dirt than a construction site. Other than that, a few hundred seems about right with the fading signature on the side panel and black ball.

Nice Item though...Good Luck!

Luke
07-25-2014, 03:11 PM
Figured I would update this in case anyone was curious, or if someone uses search function in the future trying to price something similar. Final price was $595 on ebay.

gregr2
07-25-2014, 03:33 PM
Seems like you got a pretty good price for it Luke. Nicely done!