PDA

View Full Version : Sliding into First :eek:

Runscott
04-09-2014, 01:59 PM
I thought it had been proven long ago that running over the bag is faster than sliding into it. Thinking about this because Josh Hamilton tried to beat out a grounder last night by sliding, and simply injured himself. Incredulously, Michael Saunders repeated the feat later in the game, snagged himself on the bag as he went by, but was at least safe.

Side question - if sliding into first, are you allowed to slide past the bag and into foul territory? (as you would do if you were running). Sliding into first seems especially stupid given that, with a normal slide, you are usually sliding to arrive at the bag - if that's what you are doing at first, it's ridiculous since there is no way you can go full speed as you would when running, then just throw on the brakes at the bag.

bn2cardz
04-09-2014, 02:03 PM
I thought it had been proven long ago that running over the bag is faster than sliding into it. Thinking about this because Josh Hamilton tried to beat out a grounder last night by sliding, and simply injured himself. Incredulously, Michael Saunders repeated the feat later in the game, snagged himself on the bag as he went by, but was at least safe.

Side question - if sliding into first, are you allowed to slide past the bag and into foul territory? (as you would do if you were running). Sliding into first seems especially stupid given that, with a normal slide, you are usually sliding to arrive at the bag - if that's what you are doing at first, it's ridiculous since there is no way you can go full speed as you would when running, then just throw on the brakes at the bag.

3 out of 4 bases they are better off to slide, so I think it is an instinctual reaction rather than logic. I think they all know better than to do it, but they just aren't thinking when they do it.

Runscott
04-09-2014, 02:19 PM
Could be, but I never once had the instinct to slide into first, and I was stealing bases, stretching hits, etc., quite often, and generally went in face-first.

bn2cardz
04-09-2014, 02:30 PM
I think it is all about the person. I no longer bother sliding, but I made the mistake once and as soon as I did I was embarrassed. Then again I am not a professional, it just seems the only logical answer in my mind because it really doesn't make sense for them to do it.

Paul S
04-09-2014, 05:52 PM
Gravity is a drag, unless your name is Rickey Henderson

pclpads
04-09-2014, 07:33 PM
Look at what happened to Puig, earlier this week, by sliding into 1st - jammed thumb and now on the DL. The guy has a world of talent but s--t for brains.

Jantz
04-09-2014, 11:29 PM
I thought it had been proven long ago that running over the bag is faster than sliding into it. Thinking about this because Josh Hamilton tried to beat out a grounder last night by sliding, and simply injured himself.

If my memory serves me correct, early in the 2011 season Josh Hamilton slides head-first into home plate to avoid the tag and dislocates his shoulder. No doubt that he has talent and can play the game well, but in head-first base sliding situations, history shows it doesn't end well for him.

Jantz

pariah1107
04-10-2014, 09:27 AM
The head first slide didn't work out well for Saunders either, quite the shiner yesterday. Even Seager's head first slide into second was sketchy, but overall a great Opening Day for the Mariners. Head first into home plate used to be discouraged because catchers could block the plate. Now, I don't know.

http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w415/pariah1107/quotAMOD8quot_zpsef9f7548.jpg

GoldenAge50s
04-17-2014, 10:20 PM
Head-first sliding into ANY base is proving costly, esp to the start of this yr!
Mike Napoli, head-1st into 2nd dislocated a finger 2 nites ago!

I'm surprised that some Team hasn't made an all-out BAN on anyone from going head 1st by now!

Maybe he did, but I don't ever recall Mickey Mantle, for example, going head-first into a base.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
04-25-2014, 11:44 AM
I don't understand head first slides. I always slid feet first and targeted the glove or a leg if it was close.