PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for all the Heads-up messages I've been getting

Howe’s Hunter
04-09-2014, 12:41 PM
I've heard from quite a few, including Derek, Buddy and Adam, about the Cy Young portrait on eBay right now with Howe's stamp. I really do appreciate the heads up messages and hope you guys will help me keep a look out in the future for more of Howe's cards.

This one I'm going to have to let go by. At the present time, I can't make the seller a decent offer for the card, and I've contacted him via eBay to see if he might pass on a message to the eventual winner of the lot and let them know I'd at least be interested in knowing where the card ends up so in case in the future I find myself in a place to bring it back with the rest, I have a place to start.

Brian at REA (Hi, Brian) was kind enough to let me know that none of the cards with the MK qualifier in the current auction have Howe's stamp and I appreciate that also.

This Cy will join the 33 others that I know exist, but I haven't had the opportunity to regroup with the others. Hopefully, he will be on the shorter sub-list of 11 that I know the current owner of, and not the longer list of 22 that I have no idea where they are now.

Again, thanks to everyone on the board for their help in my strange quest.

Ed

wonkaticket
04-09-2014, 12:53 PM
LOL, I like how the seller made a point to market the angle that you collect these cards and point to this forum as a selling feature. However can’t reach a deal with the very person he references from this site classic! :D

MyGuyTy
04-09-2014, 12:56 PM
Glad I could give you a couple leads......man that's a bummer he won't close a deal with you! I'll keep an eye out for more ;)

Howe’s Hunter
04-09-2014, 03:19 PM
Right after the t206 centennial issue of SGC magazine came out, a seller on eBay actually put my name in the listing twice as being a collector of nothing by Howe McCormick cards when he listed one among a group of six cards in a lot.

Before he had any bids, I contacted him and asked him to sell me just the one card and he refused. Said that by using the reference to the article in the magazine, and drawing attention to my collection, it would be worth more money to him to sell as a group rather than sell me the one. After that, I didn't even bid on the lot.

Four years later, the same card showed up on eBay again (I save scans of the cards I miss, just so I can try and identify them later as new or the same ones). Picked it up for less than half what I had offered the original seller in the first place.

Sometimes, sharing what you know doesn't turn out to be the best. But in the long run, things work out.

Again, thanks to everyone who has helped in this reassembling.

T206Collector
04-09-2014, 03:37 PM
It's important to be able to draw lines on some of this stuff. When people find out I collect signed T206 cards, it usually helps me find new ones; but, sometimes the new ones come with a steep price tag because they believe I'll pay anything for one. You have to be prepared to walk away, even if it means that you can't add to the collection. You just have to understand that you can't just have all of them.

:)

Runscott
04-09-2014, 03:54 PM
Hopefully, he will be on the shorter sub-list of 11 that I know the current owner of, and not the longer list of 22 that I have no idea where they are now.

Ed, I was unable to find it on ebay. If you give a link, or more clues, it's more likely that a Net54 member who you know will end up with it.

Howe’s Hunter
04-10-2014, 11:55 AM
Scott, here is a link to the card that WAS up for bids.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121313235926?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

It looks like it ended sometime yesterday. I have the scans, I know the basic value, and for now, I'll add it to the list of 22.

To your point, Paul, I consider myself very lucky that over the past eight years, 287 of these have made themselves known, and there are now only 23 that I don't know their whereabouts. Even luckier to have 254 of them regrouped. That wouldn't have happened if not for the help of a lot of folks on this board, yourself included, who have helped me with this project.

Again, thanks to everyone who lets me know when they see one. Even if they are ones I don't get, it is nice to add them to the data base and see what kind of collection this kid had at one time.

Again, thanks to everyone. Ed

doug.goodman
04-10-2014, 12:02 PM
Any seller of these cards who won't sell them to you for a fair price (at most) is simply an asshole.

Doug "here's my full name because I'm calling people assholes" Goodman

glchen
04-10-2014, 12:12 PM
Looks like the card sold via Best Offer for $700.

Howe’s Hunter
04-10-2014, 07:07 PM
and we have worked out a schedule to get the card back with the rest of the others I've been able to assemble. This very kind gesture by a board member is greatly appreciated, and is just another example of how great everyone on this board is. Thanks to everyone for their help in my project.

Ed

jlehma13
04-10-2014, 07:24 PM
That's great. I'm happy for you.

Al C.risafulli
04-10-2014, 08:37 PM
That's great, Ed.

I wonder how many others saw this thread and immediately rushed over to eBay to do the same thing. I suspect more than a few. This board is great that way.

-Al

Jantz
04-10-2014, 09:13 PM
Hi Ed

I'm happy this was able to work out for you. That Young is a nice looking card!

As always, I'll keep an eye out for more Howes too.

Jantz