PDA

View Full Version : Dating of 1800s Baseball Stereoview....

Leon
04-07-2014, 01:54 PM
I am guessing circa 1875?, maybe a bit later?

http://luckeycards.com/pstereoview1880steam.jpg

04-07-2014, 02:40 PM
I have sixth nerve palsy in my left eye, so these stereoviews and 3D illusions are easy for me to see, since I can cross my eyes and see double on command. :o

drcy
04-07-2014, 03:26 PM
1860s

dbrown
04-07-2014, 04:43 PM
Here's another view of the church, also by Burt. Is that a baseball diamond in the foreground, where this game is going on in this view?

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Payson_Church_tower,_by_Henry_M._Burt.jpg

Burt's dates of activity are estimated at 1865-1885. Which doesn't narrow it down much. I'd guess ca. 1870 by the typography, but it could be late '60s.

David

Leon
04-09-2014, 08:59 AM
Here's another view of the church, also by Burt. Is that a baseball diamond in the foreground, where this game is going on in this view?

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Payson_Church_tower,_by_Henry_M._Burt.jpg

Burt's dates of activity are estimated at 1865-1885. Which doesn't narrow it down much. I'd guess ca. 1870 by the typography, but it could be late '60s.

David

Thanks for the link....and thanks for the feedback. I am going with circa 1870 on it. I think it's great that items like this, showing very early playing days, can still be had for not a lot of money (sub $500).....

barrysloate
04-09-2014, 10:03 AM
Agree with David. Late 1860's. Nice image.

cockrellcollection
04-09-2014, 10:14 AM
Some of the problems with dating stereoviews are that the images were sometimes released multiple times over years (even decades if the subject was important). That sometimes makes the nature of the cardstock the best indicator. Is it curved/flat, thick/think paper? That can sometimes help identify the release date. Based on how it looks I think your guess in the 1870's is most likely moving into a bit later in that decade or 1880's if the stock starts to curve. The image might be a bit earlier in my opinion.

Runscott
04-09-2014, 10:38 AM
Leon, I think this would be worth picking up. I haven't read it, but it looks like it might provide answers for some of these dating questions.

I've disagreed with some of the experts here in the past when it comes to dating stereo views, so I'll refrain from giving my opinion on this one, but here's where you can buy a guide by someone who probably has more experience than most of us:

Stereo Views by Waldsmith (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0870695789/ref=tmm_pap_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&sr=&qid=)

Leon
04-09-2014, 10:40 AM
Leon, I think this would be worth picking up. I haven't read it, but it looks like it might provide answers for some of these dating questions.

I've disagreed with some of the experts here in the past when it comes to dating stereo views, so I'll refrain from giving my opinion on this one, but here's where you can buy a guide by someone who probably has more experience than most of us:

Stereo Views by Waldsmith (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0870695789/ref=tmm_pap_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&sr=&qid=)

Glad it is worth picking up as it's in my collection now. :) I think I only paid a couple hundred for it.. BTW, the stock is thick cardboard and curved due to aging...I will take a look at the book too. Thanks much!

drcy
04-09-2014, 11:57 AM
Curving was often due to intentional design, as they were made to give 3D images through a viewer.

bmarlowe1
04-09-2014, 11:36 PM
I don't specifically disagree with anything posted, but an expert in clothing styles (I am not) may be able to accurately estimate a date, given a high enough resolution scan.

Runscott
04-10-2014, 10:02 AM
Glad it is worth picking up as it's in my collection now. :)

I meant the book - I don't much about stereo view values.

lhardem
04-10-2014, 12:30 PM
Hi Leon. I have an almost identical (but different) stereoview. Unlike yours, mine was taken in the Wintertime as there are no leaves on the trees in front of the building. In fact, there is a person sitting on one of the branches.

My card is labeled on the back in period ink: "Gymnasium Building, Williston Seminary, East Hampton, Mass. -- 1870." The writer (C. W. Hixon, Williston Class of 1873) also signed the back of the card. More recent lettering in pencil reads "Cincinnati Red Stockings working out in stopover."

The stereoview is printed in Issue #6 of Old Cardboard magazine along with additional details about the history of the building (built in 1863 at a cost of $20,000 but razed in 1953). The image can be viewed in 3D if you still have your red-blue glasses that were distributed with the magazine.

Nice pick-up.
Lyman

tennisguy
12-13-2019, 05:12 PM
Does anyone know if Williston Seminary had a team? It does appear there are players practicing behind the players and spectators. Looks like a few exhibitions going on or players warming up. Could it possibly be the Red Stockings stopping for a quick workout on a Northeast tour?

GaryPassamonte
12-13-2019, 06:57 PM
Given the style of the stereoview (square corners, yellow mount) I would say probably 1860s. If the stock is thin, almost definitely 1860s.